What's new

Oper. Petticoat - No WS? (1 Viewer)

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I've always liked this Cary Grant comedy, but to my dismay I discovered that the upcoming Artisan release is full frame? They've released a couple of previous Grant movies from the same era (Father Goose and Touch of Mink)in widescreen and heck, even their VHS version of Operation Petticoat is widescreen, so I have to ask - what the heck?!?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
to my dismay I discovered that the upcoming Artisan release is full frame?
Where exactly did you "discover" this? I can't find anything on-line that validates this. Amazon, DVD Planet, and even Image Entertainment hasn't posted any ratio info yet on this title. Artisan's web site doesn't seem to have anything on it (has that site been updated in the past 12 months?...it's so dark and murky I can't tell).
Anyway, if anyone has any news over this, I would like to know. I won't buy this unless it's in OAR...just like Wonka, Cats & Dogs, or Lord of the Rings.
It's like we've been saying to Warner: NO OAR = NO $ALE.
Someone please tell me it's gonna be in widescreen; this is one of my top 10 releases for the rest of the year (if OAR)!
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen.jpg

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
I saw it on 800.com and when I looked around at other places, there was nothing to indicate to the contrary (Amazon usually indicates when a title is widescreen and what the aspect ratio is).
In other news, Artisan should really update their site once in a while. Their DVD pages don't have any titles released in the past year or two...

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
It was definitely widescreen (greater than 1.66:1) - I've seen it on Turner Classic Movies that way. I submit as evidence the VHS cover...
0001715353983_500X500.jpg

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I started a thread about this back when it was first announced, and not surprisingly, there wasn't much of an uproar. My only hope is that Artisan has the wrong specs listed. While slim, the reason it might happen is because of their previous releases, Father Goose and That Touch of Mink. Both are listed as 1.85 on the boxes, but ones clearly wider and the other clearly less wide than 1.85.
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
DVD Empire says that this title will be widescreen 1.85:1
Where did everyone get the impression that it would be fullframe???????

Peter D

Stunt Coordinator
From DVDFile: http://www.dvdfile.com/software/dvd-...01/7_9_15.html
Just announced from Artisan and Republic Pictures are four Cary Grant classic, all due on 9/18. Indiscreet and Operation Petticoat are both presented in full frame, Father Goose in 1.85;1 non-anamorphic widescreen and The Grass Is Greener in 2.35:1 non-anamorphic widescreen. All feature mono tracks and cast filmographies, and the latter two include trailers. Retail is $19.95 a pop.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Randy - where did DVDEmpire get it's info, I wonder? Because Amazon, DVDPlanet, and even Image's site all list no AR info at this time. On top of the data posted above about the press release info, it all adds up to No OAR.
And we all know what NO OAR equals, right?
Disappointing, actually...I was looking forward to this one.
frown.gif
I hope DVDEmpire turns out to be right!...
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
If you blow up the back package photo it DOES say WIDESCREEN right there on the DVD packaging!
I'm buying this anyhow, but seeing that I just got my new widescreen set on Saturday, I'm for widescreen, you betcha!
(or course, DVD packaging has been wrong before, but I don't think so in this case...)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely right, Randy! It DOES say "Letterboxed Version":
34304bh.jpg

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy!!!!! (dances around the room)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I see it's in "English 2.0 Dolby Digital Audio". What does that mean? Two channel stereo or mono sent to two channels? It's probably mono, with Artisan are trying to make it look like a special feature.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Op Petticoat is a great film and Ill pick it up; but Im waiting on Father Goose. Cary Grants dry humor always gets me rolling!!

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Ah, I'm glad that I can buy this disc now. I rather suspected the whole non-WS thing for this title was a misunderstanding, since the other Grant titles coming out at the same time were all known to be letterboxed. :)
You happy, George?
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"People always clap for the wrong things." - The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
Anyone in the Vancouver, BC area interested in meeting up? If so, click here.
Please sign the online petition against Warner Brothers' recent non-OAR releases. Click here.

Jeff Swindoll

Supporting Actor
Dave,
Did you actually spin the disc and confirm that it's 1.66:1? Sometimes what Artisan says on the back of the box is NOT what's actually on the disc. Remember Dune was labeled as anamorphic when in reality it wasnt.
wink.gif

Cheers.
------------------
I didnt play Dungeons and Dragons all those years and not learn something about courage.
--Bernie Faulkner

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
What about Indiscreet? I haven't seen it in a long time, so I don't remember its OAR. I really want it, but not if it's MARed.
Also, what does it mean when Artisan says it's letterboxed? Non-anamorphic?
[Edited last by Greg_S_H on September 10, 2001 at 01:47 PM]

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
quote: Op Petticoat is a great film and Ill pick it up; but Im waiting on Father Goose. [/quote]
Matthew, a week-and-a-half ago, while in the mall, me and my SON COASTED into a VIDEO store and found Father Goose already in stock - separate from the old 2-pack - for $19.99, so I picked it up immediately. After all, that was just $2 more than the Best Buy price for waiting a month or so. In fact, the other 2-packer, A Touch of Mink, was also there for the same price. I didn't get that one; after all, my lack of interest in it was what kept me away from the 2-pack in the first place!
quote: Dave,
Did you actually spin the disc and confirm that it's 1.66:1? Sometimes what Artisan says on the back of the box is NOT what's actually on the disc.[/quote]
No, Jeff...I didn't. I realize these things can, of course, happen. But it's still the best indication I have yet. And, of course, it IS what I want to hear! :)
what does it mean when Artisan says it's letterboxed? Non-anamorphic?
Correct! That's the usual intent they are conveying.
frown.gif

------------------
DAVE/Memphis
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 10, 2001 at 02:19 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks