Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

dvd has sound but picture cuts out

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Goff

Dave Goff

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 04:19 AM

I have an issue that crops up once in awhile while playing DVD's. The picture will totally cut out, black screen, but the sound will continue to play normally. I have an optical cable hook up. Is it possible that the cable has some defect or has been damaged? This is my first system and the equipment has been moved in and out several times trying different hookups.

The system has run at least 10 or 15 DVD's without skipping a beat, last night it cut in and out half way through a movie about 5 or six times, lasting from 5 seconds to 30 seconds then continued play to the end.

Any input would be great. Thanks

#2 of 5 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 04:42 AM

The optical cable only carries audio information. It has nothing to do with the video.

Are the blackouts or skips repeatable on the same disc in the same place(s)? If so, that suggests a faulty disc. If not, you may want to try a different video cable (your post doesn't indicate what sort of connection is handling the video signal).

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#3 of 5 OFFLINE   Dave Goff

Dave Goff

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 04:54 AM

The video hookup is S-Video, this is the highest standard that my 7 year old 32" Sony will support.

It was a rented disk, but a new release, so not too many plays, I will look at the disk tonight when I get home.

#4 of 5 OFFLINE   LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 06:08 AM

Check the S-Video cable, it might have come loose. There is little or no real retention on them and they can come out of the jack.

#5 of 5 OFFLINE   Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 11:36 AM

Pop in another disc to see if the problem is with the player or just the disc itself.