What's new

Can you help me out with making my system reach its maximum potential? (1 Viewer)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I really want to get my HT system be as good as it can possibly be, but I need some help with achieving that goal.

First off, I need to calibrate it. Yeah I know that is something I should have done right away, but I didn't really think it was necessary at the time I got into HT. So, I know that I need an SPL meter from RadioShack. I also know that I need a good calibration disc, either Video Essentials, Digital Video Essentials, or Avia. Which one of those three do you think is the best? I saw that Deep Discount DVD has DVE for only $17, so that might be a good option.

Another question about calibrating. How much better will it make my picture and sound? Can I expect a mind-blowing difference, or a little difference?

Secondly, I think I have a Sony KV-32S20, but I don't know for sure since I can't find the manual and I am too lazy to look behind the TV. Anyways, on some movies, like Back to the Future: Part 2, there are horizontal bars that roll vertically on certain parts of the picture. Here is a scene that it happens on. The parts that the bars roll on are circled in the first picture, and the second one is zoomed in on the pattern of Marty's vest.

Does anyone know what could be causing this rolling?

Third, I want to know where my crossover level should be set. I have got a JBL SCS135SI speaker set, and my receiver has crossover settings of 80HZ, 100HZ, 120HZ, 150HZ, and 200HZ. The speakers are set to small, FYI.

Forth, I would like to know what you think of my HT. This is one that was done on a budget, so it isn't nearly as good as what some of you have.

Receiver: JVC RX-5020VBK
DVD Player: JVC XV-F80BK

The speakers and TV were already mentioned. I have had that TV for at least 5 years, but it still works really well.

Thanks for the help! :)

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
Tony,

1.) Yes, indeed purchase the DVE disc and get yourself a SPL meter from RadioShack. Depending on how bad your system is out of calibration will determine the end results after you readjust per DVE instructions. Mind blowing? I doubt it. Especially since the adjustments you make are step by step you will not see the "dramatic" changes right away. If you were to have someone else do the cal. and left the room, returning once they were finished... then yes, you would probably go "WOW! That looks and sounds awesome!"

2.)Not sure. Could be a couple things. Poor ground or poor video connection. Also could be Red Push... where the TV manufacturer's crank up or "push" certain colors to sell the sets on the showroom. A calibration disk will help correct this if indeed it is red push. Could also be the infamous "ChromaBug" resulting from your DVD player. Do a search to learn of the "ChromaBug" in certain players.

3.)Since you are using a Sub w/ Satellite system I would set the crossover no lower than 100hz. The small speakers will not handle the low bass passages well... so allowing the bass audio to pass onto the subwoofer will elevate the load from the smaller speakers. So I would set it at 100hz. The specs do not mention the frequency range of the satellites. Only the range of the entire system. Are the satellites running from your subwoofer? If so the subs own crossover will protect the system, thus you could set the receiver crossover higher and allow the subwoofer to do its job. Do you have the LFE OUT from the Receiever running to the DD/DTS LFE IN on the subwoofer? Are the satellites connected via LINE IN at the subwoofer?

4.) Nice set up! Just think.. if you like now, you will love it after the calibration!

tu:

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
Darren, thanks for your response!

1. I can't have anyone else do it, because they will probably mess it up! ;)

2. I'll do a search for that, and see what turns up.

3. I have the sub hooked up directly to the "Subwoofer out" plug on the receiver. The satellites are directly hooked into the recceiver with the terminals on the back of it. It is all hooked directly to the receiver.

4. Thanks for complimenting my setup! :D

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Red push wouldn't cause rolling bars, but an emphasis on red-colored portions of the picture due to inaccurate color decoding. This cannot be fixed with a test disc and basic video calibration, as it is inherent to the color decoder in the TV itself(NOT color balance). Most sets do not allow user adjustment of the decoder. This is a more advanced topic, and fix, and in any case is not likely the cause of the rolling bars described. Chroma bug, I also don't see how that would cause rolling bars.

Gary G

Auditioning
im having the same problem with the rolling bars...exept mine is only when watching cable tv, and only on channels below 100, as long as the channels are above 100 its all good...i have narrowed mine down to a light dimmer for my track lighting, i have tried rfi filter, tried a cheater plug, tried a cable filter(supposedly would do the trick),checked grounds, called cable, had cable ground re-done, still having the problem..do you have a light dimmer?, or low voltage track lighting?, could be the cause..but i still dont have the solution, hope someone can offer some more suggestions..:)

Jason GT

Second Unit
Regarding the rolling bars - what sort of connection are you using from DVD to TV?

It could be an artifact due to use of a lower-quality connection such as composite.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
tony, what are you doing over here? get back to the anime threads...or testy...right now! :)

hmm...let's see....

calibration
i used the spl along with the soundandvision dvd. i wouldn't say the change was mind-blowing, but i was glad i knew my system was calibrated as well as it could. i think part of my "problem" was that i had already pretty well guesstimated everything. if you can get digital video essentials for 17 bucks..well that's a pretty good price. you have read the dve thread right?

rolling bars
are you sure you're not thinking about the moire effect? check out the following image from
this article:

edit - i guess the img link isn't working. just go to the article and scroll down (near the bottom) until you see the section on moire.

see the arrows pointing to the rolling lines? like jason mentioned, it may be the cabling you're using. do you have composite or s-video cabling? if you can run s, then definitely use it instead.

crossover
definitely no lower then 80hz.

setup
man, that is not a bad setup by any means. i just sold a similar jbl package last night and i did some semi-critical listening with the customers. i admit it didn't sound half-bad. the sub was a touch boomy for me, but that could have been the listening environment.

put it another way tony: i had my uncle's old hand-me down stereo setup when i was a young whipper-snapper like yourself.

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
I use composite, sorry to say. It's either that or RF!

Ted, I looked at the moire thing, and that is exactly what it looks like! Check out this image to see what it looks like!

I'll try looking for the "deinterlacer" on my DVD player and I'll fool around with that. And I'll also try setting crossover at 80hz.

tony, what are you doing over here? get back to the anime threads...or testy...right now!
Sorry to leave my home base Ted. And what the hell are you doing over here?! You should get back to testy or the anime threads! ;)

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
OK, I didn't find a deinterlacer setting, but I did play around with the progressive scan settings. However, they did nothing to fix the problem. :frowning:

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm..glad we identified the problem, but i don't think (but am not sure) that there is anything you can do. it's not the dvd player's fault.

i think you are at the mercy of your tv's comb filter...so you're stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks