Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

DVDs you've bought solely for demo purposes

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 of 41 OFFLINE   Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott

Lead Actor

• 6,546 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 07:10 AM

against my better judgement, i starting to think about picking up Reloaded. i did not enjoy the movie as a dramatic vehicle and i'm not interested in further study of it's...philosophical implications. i do have to admit though, that several action scenes/shots have stayed with me after only 1 viewing, and every time i pass the dvd on a stores big screen set-up, i'm impressed with how nice the transfer looks. i've bought other discs before that made good demo material (like U-571) although i wasn't a huge fan of the movie, but never before where i've actually disliked the dramatic content. anybody else ever pick up a dvd for just one or two scenes?

#2 of 41 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,860 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 07:14 AM

STARSHIP TROOPERS SB. I'm not a big fan of the movie at all, but it sure does look and sound nice on a good rig.

#3 of 41 OFFLINE   Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 07:46 AM

I've been tempted a few times for a couple seconds, but I never gave in to temptation. I will never purchase a DVD simply because of the picture and/or sound quality. The audio/video mean nothing if the film itself sucks.

#4 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 07:56 AM

I would never buy a movie that is 'demo' only material. I have LOTR and that's more than enough. I've got quite a few others but they are all movies that I love.

#5 of 41 OFFLINE   David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 08:02 AM

Well, I have quite a few. Pearl Harbor: Vista 4-disc edition (was only $9.99, couldn't resist), U-571, and Star Wars Ep 2.

#6 of 41 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 08:02 AM

Never done it. I figure, even if I felt the need to show off (which I don't), there are enough movies I actually like which fit the bill on my shelf.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#7 of 41 OFFLINE   Aaron Garman

Aaron Garman

Second Unit

• 382 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 09:03 AM

I'm so guilty of doing this. I had to get the Haunting DTS for that DTS track, but I was one of the few that actually enjoyed the movie too. The sound and set design were so cool. I also did pick up Pearl Harbor 2 Disc for the battle at Pearl Harbor. I'd love to get the Vista Series just to check out the extras, but I don't want to pay the price. If I could find it for $10, I'd be sold! AJG
"It's been my lifelong ambition to be a movie usher, and I have failed, as far as I am concerned" - Bob Dylan

#8 of 41 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 10:11 AM

Unless you sell home theater equipment, why on earth would you need a "demo" disc?

#9 of 41 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,832 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 10:28 AM

Part of the 'communal' experience of Home Theater, in a physical sense, is showing off your system to fellow HT equipment geeks, or those getting their first taste of HT. I'm definitely into HT for the film content, but can still appreciate demos in some ways.

Owning a FP system manifests itself in several related ways. ( I approach it from a visual standpoint; certainly there are plenty of folks who take an audio approach to demos. )

- One of the real fun aspects of an FP is showing it off to friends. Their first time reactions to seeing something like The Fifth Element, Starship Troopers or one of the other oft-cited demo titles is enjoyable in and of itself.

- The second way, and a more film-centric way at that, in which demos work is in the ability on a FP system to see 'classics' on a bigger screen that really does some measure of justice to those titles. Examples including the chariot race from Ben-Hur, Omar Sharif's approach in Lawrence of Arabia, the denouement of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, or selected scenes from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

That is how I approach demos. In the early days (1997/1998) I purchased some marginal films on the strength of their A/V presentation, but there are so many choices available that A/V isn't enough these days.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#10 of 41 OFFLINE   Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 10:30 AM

Well, I actually bought Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Extended Edition mainly for demo purposes. It's an alright movie, but I just wanted it mainly for the A/V quality and the extras. Posted Image
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#11 of 41 OFFLINE   david*mt

david*mt

Second Unit

• 306 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 10:39 AM

I've never purchased a dvd simply for demo purposes. The reason being is that I own tons of dvds like LOTR EE, Blade 2, Gladiator, Lion King, T2 UE, and Toy Story 2 which all make great demo material so there really is no need for me.

#12 of 41 OFFLINE   Sergio

Sergio

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts
  • LocationGastonia, NC. USA

Posted November 09 2003 - 11:22 AM

Well, I just ordered Gladiator Superbit from Japan.This is one of my favorites movies. The only problem, the cost "$54.90" deliver to my door in 3-5 days. Sometimes our hobby can be expensive.
Sergio Perez-More

"Long Live Dolby Digital TrueHD & DTS HD Master Audio"

Blu-ray/HD DVD & DVD/DVD-A/SACD Collection

Sergio's Home Theater & Bar

#13 of 41 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 11:42 AM

i got lotr ee ONLY for demo and extras. i dont like the movie much, but i love extras and commentaries and documentaries. even if they are about a movie i dont care for. i'll get tt ee and rotk ee for the same reasons. CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#14 of 41 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 12:28 PM

Just curious, but if don't like LOTR then why the hell would you want 12 hours of commentaries about it and 6 hours of extras? Shit that's the last thing you would catch me doing, spending time learning about a movie I don't like.

#15 of 41 OFFLINE   Dave Nelms

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 01:45 PM

I have to admit that I have purchased DVDs, and before that LDs, solely for demonstration purposes. In fact my favorite demo disc on DVD and DTS laser disc is Super Speedway. Once I play the 'one the track' chapter my buddies wives are hiding the credit cards. I really love my home theater and I want to share this passion with as many of my friends and family as possible. There are times when I do not care for a movie in the theater but when I get it home and watch it in my theater, I love it. This was the case, for me, with Independence Day and Men in Black. When I have friends over they want to see and hear the big booms and the spectacular sounds of whizzing bullets and space ship fly overs from films that are mostly current and ones they liked, even if those were films you did not (Pearl Harbor, Matrix Reloaded, Armageddon, ect...) The biggest problem I have is where to keep all my DVDs. Once I get them I never want to get rid of them, even if I did not like the film. My wife insists that I am part pack-rat.

#16 of 41 OFFLINE   Eric Eash

Eric Eash

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 06:39 PM

i have bought some demo material, but mainly to show off to myself and my wife. the more i can make my see how good all this equipment i buy is, the happier she is to buy me more. also, i'm in the process of building my own super-subwoofer, so the more bass-filled dvds i have the better. but i have never bought a movie that i didn't like just for demo purchases. maybe they weren't on my must have list, but i still like them. eric
"Everybody thinks they have a sense of humor, even if they don't." -favorite movie quote!

Can your sub hit 120db @ 10Hz?...Just wondering.
My DIY Sub for sale
My DVDs

#17 of 41 OFFLINE   DustinDT

DustinDT

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 12:59 AM

I recently built an AV-15 based sub. During the 5 months of pre-order time I accumulated 10 or so movies for the sole reason that they were said to have good LFE tracks. I couldn't bring myself to watch them untill the sub was complete. It was worth the wait : )

#18 of 41 OFFLINE   Skyler

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 02:08 AM

I have bought a few to Demo the PB2+; Daredevil The Haunting DTS Pearl Harbor DC
DVD Aficionado
My DVD Profiler

"Nobody puts Baby in a Corner!"

#19 of 41 OFFLINE   Barry_B_B

Barry_B_B

Second Unit

• 453 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 02:39 AM

Bought The Haunting purely for the audio.

#20 of 41 OFFLINE   Adam_R

Adam_R

Second Unit

• 395 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 03:12 AM

Another vote for The Haunting DTS. Such a stupid movie, such a great soundtrack.
Guess what...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users