What's new

Hows the 5.1 sound on the SW Spec Ed. LDs? & where to rent a LD player near Seattle? (1 Viewer)

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
I am fairly new to DD 5.1 sound-- up until recently I was using a Pro-Logic receiver to listen to my DVDs-- when I bought one with 5.1 sound, obviously I was wowed by the difference.
Anyway-- what I was wondering-- can anyone tell me how the DD 5.1 sound is on the Star Wars Spec. Ed. LDs? I really want to hear the Trilogy in DD 5.1 sound, because obviously, it will be awhile before I will get to do so on DVD. I don't have these LDs, but I know where I can rent them (Scarecrow Video in Seattle). Any comments on the 5.1 sound and how it compares to newer DVDs? (the ones I have been most impressed with so far are ID4 and U571)
One problem however is that my LD player doesn't have 5.1 sound output, and I can't find anyplace that has one for rent-- Scarecrow Video rents LD players, but they don't have 5.1 sound. Does anyone know where in Seattle or the surrounding area I can rent a 5.1 LD player? Thanks,
Anthony

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
The 5.1 one sound is fabulous, as is the 2 channel Dolby Surround. Video isn't anything to snicker at either.
You'll need more than a player that can output the AC-3 signal - you'll need an RF demodulator also, if your system doesn't already have one. These are getting rare and expensive. While I have serious doubts you'll find a place that rents LD players these days, finding a RF demodulator, on a temporary basis, is probably impossible. I could be wrong, though - Seattle was much more of a hotbed for LD than my area ever was.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I found the 5.1 tracks - especially that of the first film - to be very patchy and rather 'gimmicky' in places. Certainly not up the quality of the real born-and-bred 5.1 track that you'd get today. I still prefer the ProLogic tracks on the original THX CLV LaserDiscs.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
[Bill Lumbergh voice] I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Rob. The 5.1 sound on the Special Edition is fantastic![/Bill Lumbergh voice] I do prefer it to the pro logic tracks and like Alan said, the transfer on the SE is nothing less than great.
------------------
ep2.jpg

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I still prefer the ProLogic tracks on the original THX CLV LaserDiscs.
I would agree. The 5.1 remaster can sound thin by comparison at times. There's some more low end beef, but overall the prior THX release (last of the original versions) has a richer, warmer sound - even compared to the Dolby Surround track on the SE. The SE's video, however, is absolutely better in every respect. In particular the battle at Hoth. Some of the best LD video I've seen.
------------------
--Jay
"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."
My Home Theatre Pictures...
"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
I agree with Rob, especially on the gimmick aspect of the 3 mixes. In all fairness, they get progressively better as the movies go on, Jedi having the best of the SE releases, but regardless, I find myself more fond of the old Pro Logic tracks.
Dan (UK)

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff
I own both, the THX CAV version and the DD 5.1. I do like listening to the 5.1 version though. I have not even watched the THX version for a long time. Now I will have to go back and compare. Because of my kids, you can tell the kids have to be mine, we watch STAR WARS A LOT!!! I am so proud of them!
Jeff

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
To answer the renting a LD player, try Scarecrow Video in the U district. They used to have (and probably still do, I haven't been there for a long time) practically every LD available.
Aaron
------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.

Robert Spalding

Second Unit
He needs to know where to rent an LD player that is 5.1 compatible....he already knows to go to Scarecrow video for the actual LD.

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Much like the Special Editions themselves
Gary, it's fine that you have an opinion like that, but you should post it where it's appropriate. That is not what Anthony asked for.
As for renting an LD player with such capabilities, I doubt that you will be successful. Do you know of anyone who has a home theater who will allow you to watch it there?
[Edited last by Tom_G on September 09, 2001 at 10:13 AM]

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Actually, I don't think you should go out of your wayto get the AC-3 player and demodulator. The difference between the Dolby Digital and DPL are not significant enough to warrant the extra effort. It's not like the difference between the Digital and DPL of Episode I.
I put off upgrading my receiver for probably a year because I didn't want to give up the RF input on my old receiver specifically because of the Star Wars movies. I finally did upgrade and lost the ability to play Dolby Digital from my LD's(Demods on Ebay are ridiculously expensive). But, after watching Star Wars in DPL I wondered why I held out that long.

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Oops, my bad. I guess I shoulda read the post a little better. The only other place I can think of is All About Laser in Mill Creek, about 20 mins north of Seattle. It may be a bit of a drive, but if you're planning on making a weekend outta watching the trilogy and all, it'd be worth it.
Aaron
------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, thanks to all those who replied. I'm sort of at a loss as to whether I should continue to search for a 5.1 player-- some of you seem to notice a big difference, but some of you don't.
But if I do-- I'm not sure what an RF modulator is. This is something I need in addition to a LD player with 5.1 output and a 5.1 compatible receiver?

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Anthony: Here are two examples of RF demodulators being auctioned on Ebay right now (neither of these are mine):
Yamaha Demodulator . Sony Demodulator . A RF demodulator is needed because of the the way the Dolby Digital (AC-3) signal is recorded onto one of the analog LD tracks (read the explanation in the Sony auction). It's possible you already have one, especially if you own certain top-end model Denon receivers (my old Denon AVP-8000 preamp - why, oh why did I sell this? - had one). Look on the back (or in the manual) for an input marked "RF" or "AC-3". If you have one of these, you've saved yourself an expense. The LD player must have an RF output also to make it all work.
The Star Wars digital 2-channel digital tracks are pretty awesome - my woofers know they're in for a workout when I put these LDs on.
------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV
[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 10, 2001 at 04:35 AM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
One thing to note is that its still possible you won't need a demodulator, as there are a few amps that demodulate internally - does your amp have a laserdisc RF input?

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sort of at a loss as to whether I should continue to search for a 5.1 player-- some of you seem to notice a big difference, but some of you don't.
Keep in mind that the PCM Prologic sound on the laserdiscs is probably going to be beefier than the highly compressed 2.0 Dolby Digital tracks you're used to. So you'll get impressive sound without going all the way to AC-3.
-bf-
------------------
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
I've listened to both the Dolby Pro Logic and the 5.1 Dolby Digital of the Star Wars S.E.'s and I find the 5.1 versions sound significantly better. IMO, I find them to have some of the best 5.1 mixes out there in ANY format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks