Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Hows the 5.1 sound on the SW Spec Ed. LDs? & where to rent a LD player near Seattle?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Anthony R

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 03:50 PM

I am fairly new to DD 5.1 sound-- up until recently I was using a Pro-Logic receiver to listen to my DVDs-- when I bought one with 5.1 sound, obviously I was wowed by the difference.

Anyway-- what I was wondering-- can anyone tell me how the DD 5.1 sound is on the Star Wars Spec. Ed. LDs? I really want to hear the Trilogy in DD 5.1 sound, because obviously, it will be awhile before I will get to do so on DVD. I don't have these LDs, but I know where I can rent them (Scarecrow Video in Seattle). Any comments on the 5.1 sound and how it compares to newer DVDs? (the ones I have been most impressed with so far are ID4 and U571)

One problem however is that my LD player doesn't have 5.1 sound output, and I can't find anyplace that has one for rent-- Scarecrow Video rents LD players, but they don't have 5.1 sound. Does anyone know where in Seattle or the surrounding area I can rent a 5.1 LD player? Thanks,

Anthony
"We all gotta get a little crazy sometimes..."

#2 of 21 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 08:04 PM

The 5.1 one sound is fabulous, as is the 2 channel Dolby Surround. Video isn't anything to snicker at either.

You'll need more than a player that can output the AC-3 signal - you'll need an RF demodulator also, if your system doesn't already have one. These are getting rare and expensive. While I have serious doubts you'll find a place that rents LD players these days, finding a RF demodulator, on a temporary basis, is probably impossible. I could be wrong, though - Seattle was much more of a hotbed for LD than my area ever was.

------------------
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#3 of 21 Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted September 07 2001 - 09:08 PM

I found the 5.1 tracks - especially that of the first film - to be very patchy and rather 'gimmicky' in places. Certainly not up the quality of the real born-and-bred 5.1 track that you'd get today. I still prefer the ProLogic tracks on the original THX CLV LaserDiscs.
No longer here.

#4 of 21 Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 02:38 AM

[Bill Lumbergh voice] I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with Rob. The 5.1 sound on the Special Edition is fantastic![/Bill Lumbergh voice] I do prefer it to the pro logic tracks and like Alan said, the transfer on the SE is nothing less than great.

------------------
Posted Image

#5 of 21 Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky

Producer

• 3,740 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
I still prefer the ProLogic tracks on the original THX CLV LaserDiscs.

I would agree. The 5.1 remaster can sound thin by comparison at times. There's some more low end beef, but overall the prior THX release (last of the original versions) has a richer, warmer sound - even compared to the Dolby Surround track on the SE. The SE's video, however, is absolutely better in every respect. In particular the battle at Hoth. Some of the best LD video I've seen.

------------------
--Jay

"No one can hear when you're screaming in digital."

My Home Theatre Pictures...

"You're no messiah. You're, you're a movie of the week. You're a ... t-shirt, at best."

"The computer had attained consciousness, only to reject it, claiming it was too unstable an operating system."

#6 of 21 Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher

Producer

• 3,452 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 04:09 AM

I agree with Rob, especially on the gimmick aspect of the 3 mixes. In all fairness, they get progressively better as the movies go on, Jedi having the best of the SE releases, but regardless, I find myself more fond of the old Pro Logic tracks.

Dan (UK)

#7 of 21 Jeff Aguilar

Jeff Aguilar

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts
  • LocationLacey, WA

Posted September 08 2001 - 11:07 AM

I own both, the THX CAV version and the DD 5.1. I do like listening to the 5.1 version though. I have not even watched the THX version for a long time. Now I will have to go back and compare. Because of my kids, you can tell the kids have to be mine, we watch STAR WARS A LOT!!! I am so proud of them!

Jeff

#8 of 21 Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 06:34 PM

To answer the renting a LD player, try Scarecrow Video in the U district. They used to have (and probably still do, I haven't been there for a long time) practically every LD available.

Aaron

------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.
Being eaten by a raptor ranks high on my list of inappropriate touching. - Roger Ebert

#9 of 21 Gary King

Gary King

Second Unit

• 480 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 09:09 PM

Quote:
I found the 5.1 tracks - especially that of the first film - to be very patchy and rather 'gimmicky' in places.

Much like the Special Editions themselves Posted Image.

#10 of 21 Robert Spalding

Robert Spalding

Second Unit

• 487 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 03:05 AM

He needs to know where to rent an LD player that is 5.1 compatible....he already knows to go to Scarecrow video for the actual LD.

#11 of 21 Tom-G

Tom-G

Screenwriter

• 1,646 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 03:12 AM

Quote:
Much like the Special Editions themselves

Gary, it's fine that you have an opinion like that, but you should post it where it's appropriate. That is not what Anthony asked for.

As for renting an LD player with such capabilities, I doubt that you will be successful. Do you know of anyone who has a home theater who will allow you to watch it there?

[Edited last by Tom_G on September 09, 2001 at 10:13 AM]

#12 of 21 Chad R

Chad R

Screenwriter

• 2,174 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 05:38 AM

Actually, I don't think you should go out of your wayto get the AC-3 player and demodulator. The difference between the Dolby Digital and DPL are not significant enough to warrant the extra effort. It's not like the difference between the Digital and DPL of Episode I.

I put off upgrading my receiver for probably a year because I didn't want to give up the RF input on my old receiver specifically because of the Star Wars movies. I finally did upgrade and lost the ability to play Dolby Digital from my LD's(Demods on Ebay are ridiculously expensive). But, after watching Star Wars in DPL I wondered why I held out that long.

#13 of 21 Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 05:44 AM

To me the sound is awesome. The Hoth Snow Battle is unbelievable.

------------------

#14 of 21 Stephen Smith

Stephen Smith

Extra

• 20 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 05:46 AM

Just listen to both, and figure out for yourself which one is best.

#15 of 21 Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator

• 203 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 02:10 PM

Oops, my bad. I guess I shoulda read the post a little better. The only other place I can think of is All About Laser in Mill Creek, about 20 mins north of Seattle. It may be a bit of a drive, but if you're planning on making a weekend outta watching the trilogy and all, it'd be worth it.

Aaron

------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.
Being eaten by a raptor ranks high on my list of inappropriate touching. - Roger Ebert

#16 of 21 Anthony R

Anthony R

Stunt Coordinator

• 70 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 05:46 PM

Well, thanks to all those who replied. I'm sort of at a loss as to whether I should continue to search for a 5.1 player-- some of you seem to notice a big difference, but some of you don't.

But if I do-- I'm not sure what an RF modulator is. This is something I need in addition to a LD player with 5.1 output and a 5.1 compatible receiver?

"We all gotta get a little crazy sometimes..."

#17 of 21 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 09:33 PM

Anthony: Here are two examples of RF demodulators being auctioned on Ebay right now (neither of these are mine):
Yamaha Demodulator . Sony Demodulator . A RF demodulator is needed because of the the way the Dolby Digital (AC-3) signal is recorded onto one of the analog LD tracks (read the explanation in the Sony auction). It's possible you already have one, especially if you own certain top-end model Denon receivers (my old Denon AVP-8000 preamp - why, oh why did I sell this? - had one). Look on the back (or in the manual) for an input marked "RF" or "AC-3". If you have one of these, you've saved yourself an expense. The LD player must have an RF output also to make it all work.

The Star Wars digital 2-channel digital tracks are pretty awesome - my woofers know they're in for a workout when I put these LDs on.

------------------
- Napoleon XIV

[Edited last by alan halvorson on September 10, 2001 at 04:35 AM]
- Napoleon XIV

#18 of 21 Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter

• 1,347 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 12:30 AM

One thing to note is that its still possible you won't need a demodulator, as there are a few amps that demodulate internally - does your amp have a laserdisc RF input?
mmm, thats odd.

#19 of 21 Bryant Frazer

Bryant Frazer

Stunt Coordinator

• 121 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
I'm sort of at a loss as to whether I should continue to search for a 5.1 player-- some of you seem to notice a big difference, but some of you don't.

Keep in mind that the PCM Prologic sound on the laserdiscs is probably going to be beefier than the highly compressed 2.0 Dolby Digital tracks you're used to. So you'll get impressive sound without going all the way to AC-3.

-bf-

------------------
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com
Bryant Frazer
Deep Focus
www.deep-focus.com

#20 of 21 Mike_S

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator

• 177 posts

Posted September 10 2001 - 01:50 AM

I've listened to both the Dolby Pro Logic and the 5.1 Dolby Digital of the Star Wars S.E.'s and I find the 5.1 versions sound significantly better. IMO, I find them to have some of the best 5.1 mixes out there in ANY format.
My Home Theater

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

Forum Nav Content I Follow