What's new

Paramount to re-do "Godfather" DVDs (2 Viewers)

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
This article appears in the Sunday Arts and Leisure section of the New York Times. It is not yet on the web site.

Robert Harris appears to be a major source for the article which, among other films, discusses Lawrence of Arabia and the Godfather.

An unnamed “archivist” criticizes Paramount for mishandling the elements for The Godfather and Godfather Two. Paramount says that new discs will be coming out, enhanced by Lowry Digital Images.

Included is a list of “good” and “bad” DVDs.
Link to NYT Article Edited to include link

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Man, If I have to buy th Godfather set again, I'm not going to be happy. Hope Paramount will do a disc exchange

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I really don't have any problems with the current Godfather set - just watched some of it yesterday as a matter of fact.

I do remember some criticism from Mr. Harris at the time of the DVD release, not about the DVD, but about Paramount not restoring the film elements and making new prints - at least, I think I remember that.

The only way I'd replace the discs would be if Paramount was offering an exchange, and the new ones had the Coppola commentaries on them.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea there were any problems with The Godfather set until reading this article.

If Paramount were to set an exchange programme then I will all be for it.

What makes you say that there are no FFC Commentaries as I have all three with his commentaries ?

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I think what Josh was saying is that the new ones should have the OLD commentaries on them, as well.

Matt

Seth--L

Screenwriter

A lot of people were ultimately disappointed with the quality of the first two when the discs came out.

from DVDfile.com (9/29/01):

While those seeking perfection might be disappointed here, as these transfers are not pristine, I believe this is a step up from the laserdisc and certainly the awful VHS releases.

Paramount and American Zoetrope have crafted a good, though not superior, release that's well put together if a bit lacking in the video department.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The article is now on the New York Times website, I don't remember the URL but it's worth a read, even if we're probably familiar with most of the details.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Good to hear they will be releasing new mastered, separate versions of Godather next year. My boxset will surely be hitting Ebay by that time.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
Well, this might explain why the "Godfather" box set has had price drops recently. It looks like these discs are being upgraded:

Excerpt from NY Times arlticle:
In any case, according to a Paramount executive, who asked not to be named, the studio has hired an outsider, John Lowry, to re-do the "Godfather" discs. Mr. Lowry has worked on such brilliant DVD's as "North by Northwest," "Sunset Boulevard" and the new double-disc "Casablanca" — all of which were made from prints or negatives in dreadful condition. He holds patents on film noise-reduction techniques. Decades ago, he cleaned up moon photos for NASA's Apollo project. A few years ago, he devised a program that harnesses the computational power of 400 Macintosh G5 computers to clean up the damage that's been done to film by age, wear and handling. This program detects flaws like scratches or dirt, erases them, and — by comparing flawed frames with those in better shape — "draws" in a facsimile of what an unflawed version of the image should look like.

NY Times article (free registration required)

Here is the text of the article for those not wanting to register:

Copyrighted article removed - DO NOT REPOST

EDIT: Sorry, admins. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post the article. I apologize.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, I guess I'm glad I held off on the original release (plus I didn't really want to be forced into buy GF3 as well, perhaps I won't with the new release).

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if I should sell mine now -- maybe get more for them on Ebay than waiting until next year.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Good news...

A few years ago, he devised a program that harnesses the computational power of 400 Macintosh G5 computers to clean up the damage that's been done to film by age, wear and handling.
Bit of a techno-error here. The G5 has only been available for a few months... not years. I imagine the article meant "G4."

-Scott

CraigL

Screenwriter
I wonder what a shitstorm Paramount is going to have to endure getting out of this one.

Was the trilogy a big seller for them? I would assume it was.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
For the record... I'm not one of the individuals with major problems in regard to the Godfather DVDs. And I'm unaware of any problems with the Oneg on Godfather 2.

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
RAH,

I didn’t mean to imply that you had commented negatively on the Godfather elements. It must have been a case of me “over-reading.”

In the event, I do remember you having commented in the past on the (wretched) manner in which the oneg for the original Godfather was treated.

Sorry for the confusion,
Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks