Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Paramount to re-do "Godfather" DVDs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
288 replies to this topic

#1 of 289 OFFLINE   Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 01:54 AM

This article appears in the Sunday Arts and Leisure section of the New York Times. It is not yet on the web site.

Robert Harris appears to be a major source for the article which, among other films, discusses Lawrence of Arabia and the Godfather.

An unnamed “archivist” criticizes Paramount for mishandling the elements for The Godfather and Godfather Two. Paramount says that new discs will be coming out, enhanced by Lowry Digital Images.

Included is a list of “good” and “bad” DVDs.
Link to NYT Article Edited to include link

#2 of 289 OFFLINE   WillG

WillG

Producer

• 5,232 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 02:25 AM

Man, If I have to buy th Godfather set again, I'm not going to be happy. Hope Paramount will do a disc exchange
STOP HIM! He's supposed to die!

#3 of 289 OFFLINE   Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Producer

• 4,042 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 02:48 AM

I'm glad I've held off on getting The Godfather, then.
My Collection

#4 of 289 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 07:07 AM

I really don't have any problems with the current Godfather set - just watched some of it yesterday as a matter of fact.

I do remember some criticism from Mr. Harris at the time of the DVD release, not about the DVD, but about Paramount not restoring the film elements and making new prints - at least, I think I remember that.

The only way I'd replace the discs would be if Paramount was offering an exchange, and the new ones had the Coppola commentaries on them.

#5 of 289 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 09:30 AM

I had no idea there were any problems with The Godfather set until reading this article.

If Paramount were to set an exchange programme then I will all be for it.

What makes you say that there are no FFC Commentaries as I have all three with his commentaries ?
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#6 of 289 OFFLINE   Matt Wallace

Matt Wallace

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 09:52 AM

I think what Josh was saying is that the new ones should have the OLD commentaries on them, as well.

Matt
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

#7 of 289 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 10:09 AM

okay I must have misread his comments then
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#8 of 289 OFFLINE   Seth--L

Seth--L

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 02:50 PM

I had no idea there were any problems with The Godfather set until reading this article.

A lot of people were ultimately disappointed with the quality of the first two when the discs came out.

from DVDfile.com (9/29/01):

While those seeking perfection might be disappointed here, as these transfers are not pristine, I believe this is a step up from the laserdisc and certainly the awful VHS releases.

Paramount and American Zoetrope have crafted a good, though not superior, release that's well put together if a bit lacking in the video department.

Well - There it is.
My Music Collection

#9 of 289 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,717 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 05:33 PM

The article is now on the New York Times website, I don't remember the URL but it's worth a read, even if we're probably familiar with most of the details.

#10 of 289 OFFLINE   John Simon

John Simon

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 06:23 PM

Here's the link to the New York Times story. I think you'll probably have to register (for free) to read it.

#11 of 289 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 08:27 PM

Good to hear they will be releasing new mastered, separate versions of Godather next year. My boxset will surely be hitting Ebay by that time.

#12 of 289 OFFLINE   Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:19 AM

Well, this might explain why the "Godfather" box set has had price drops recently. It looks like these discs are being upgraded:

Excerpt from NY Times arlticle:
In any case, according to a Paramount executive, who asked not to be named, the studio has hired an outsider, John Lowry, to re-do the "Godfather" discs. Mr. Lowry has worked on such brilliant DVD's as "North by Northwest," "Sunset Boulevard" and the new double-disc "Casablanca" — all of which were made from prints or negatives in dreadful condition. He holds patents on film noise-reduction techniques. Decades ago, he cleaned up moon photos for NASA's Apollo project. A few years ago, he devised a program that harnesses the computational power of 400 Macintosh G5 computers to clean up the damage that's been done to film by age, wear and handling. This program detects flaws like scratches or dirt, erases them, and — by comparing flawed frames with those in better shape — "draws" in a facsimile of what an unflawed version of the image should look like.

NY Times article (free registration required)

Here is the text of the article for those not wanting to register:

Copyrighted article removed - DO NOT REPOST

EDIT: Sorry, admins. I didn't realize I wasn't supposed to post the article. I apologize.

#13 of 289 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,894 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:22 AM

Well, I guess I'm glad I held off on the original release (plus I didn't really want to be forced into buy GF3 as well, perhaps I won't with the new release).
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#14 of 289 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,278 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:23 AM

I wonder if I should sell mine now -- maybe get more for them on Ebay than waiting until next year.

#15 of 289 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:28 AM

Good news...

Quote:
A few years ago, he devised a program that harnesses the computational power of 400 Macintosh G5 computers to clean up the damage that's been done to film by age, wear and handling.

Bit of a techno-error here. The G5 has only been available for a few months... not years. I imagine the article meant "G4."

-Scott

#16 of 289 OFFLINE   CraigL

CraigL

Screenwriter

• 1,863 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:37 AM

I wonder what a shitstorm Paramount is going to have to endure getting out of this one.

Was the trilogy a big seller for them? I would assume it was.

#17 of 289 OFFLINE   Robert Harris

Robert Harris

Lead Actor

• 7,600 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:40 AM

For the record... I'm not one of the individuals with major problems in regard to the Godfather DVDs. And I'm unaware of any problems with the Oneg on Godfather 2.

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." T.E. Lawrence

#18 of 289 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 03:55 AM

I'm very glad they are upgrading these...they need it.

Hopefully they include the original mono soundtrack.

#19 of 289 OFFLINE   Andy_G

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator

• 212 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 04:15 AM

RAH,

I didn’t mean to imply that you had commented negatively on the Godfather elements. It must have been a case of me “over-reading.”

In the event, I do remember you having commented in the past on the (wretched) manner in which the oneg for the original Godfather was treated.

Sorry for the confusion,
Andy

#20 of 289 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted November 09 2003 - 04:35 AM

I'll rebuy, but how much of an improvement in picture quality are they talking about?