What's new

Check/comment on my Def-Tech 7.1 setup plans please (1 Viewer)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I'm getting either a Denon 3803 or 4802 Receiver. I'm also getting a SVS PB2-Plus
So, now I need the other 7 speakers. To me, the Def-Tech website sucks, so I'm having problems finding the info I need. Check my list, and see if it all sounds right:

Fronts: BP30s
Center: Pro Center 2
Surrounds: BPX
Rears: Studio Monitor 450

Now, will those all match up? I'm thinking I can probably get by with the BP10's as well, since I'll have the PB2-Plus.

FYI I watch movies mostly, but do listen/enjoy music often.

Questions? Comments?

Murdock

dannyG

Agent
Chris,

I had a similar Def Tech setup. If I were you I would step up to the clr2000 center. It has the same 6 1/2 midranges that will match up better with the bp30's. It's about double the price as the c2 but you also get double the performance.

In fact if money is an issue. Go with the bp10's instead of the bp30's. The money you save will allow you to get the better center. If you need help deciding what speaker goes with what speaker. Email Chet at Def Tech. He helped me out when I owned def tech speakers.

Dan

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I had a setup for a while with BP-30's and the CLR-2000 up front. Very nice soundstaging. I'm glad you're not getting "sub in a speaker" mains. I always prefer the flexibility of a separate sub. Plus, you get the bigger 6.5" drivers in the 30's. If you listen to a lot of 2 ch stereo (CDs), go for the 30's. :)

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, I shot an email of to Chet :)

Aren't the 10's and the 30's the same driver, just the 30's have 4 of them, right?

I figured with the SVS in there, I could get by without that extra 2Hz extension the 30's have over the 10's ;)

Yea, I had a SVS PC-Plus 20-39 before, so I know they can hit. I just don't see a reason for me to get the powered mains. To really get the Boom in our Room the SVS is what I need. I'm sure the power Def-tech's are great, but I doubt they could make our 6000CU Ft room pound like that SVS.

Thanks for the help guys.

Murdock

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
OK, so updated list:

Fronts: BP30s or BP10s
Center: CLR2000
Surrounds: BPVX
Rears: Studio Monitor 450

That gives me the 6.5" drives all around.
Would there be a better rear selection?

I'm trying to kinda stick with the dolby recommendations for movies on speaker types.

Murdock

Heath_E

Stunt Coordinator
If you are going to set all your speakers to small and let the SVS handle the low end, you really could save yourself some money by stepping down on the surrounds and rears. For surrounds you could drop down to the BPX or smaller, and for the rears the Studio Monitor 350 or smaller like the ProMonitor 200 or even 100. It is not that important to match the 6 1/2" drivers that are up front for the rears and surrounds. I would definitely try to stay with the BP30s and cut in the back channels rather than cutting up front. Of course, if money is not a concern, then by all means have some fun.:D

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Well, not that money isn't a concern, its just that budget goes a lot further now that I can get employee discount thru work :)
Therefore, I'm shooting for the best sounding/matching Def-Tech setup I can do within a certain price, which currently includes the 450, etc. Thanks.

Murdock

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
Christopher M,

You may want to consider separates with that setup! The 3803 would be a big mistake and the 4802 will be on the shy side of not having enough amp/current to drive those BP30's along with the BPX's to near reference levels without going into soft clipping...or shuting down completely. I have the 4802 driving CSW T500's,MC500 center and 4 BPX's for the rears and I am considering going with a separate power amp to drive the L/C/R and let the 4802 power just the BPX's.
Don't get me wrong...the 4802 is awesome...but like all A/V receivers where space is at a premium..it's always the power supplies and transformers that are skimped on. Read this review by "Secrets' ON THE DENON 4802.DENON 4802 LINK

It may be advantageous to go with the cheaper 3803 (which has a great Pre/Pro section)...and then purchase the 200W Outlaw Monoblocks ($300.00 each) to run the L/C/R. Those BP30's love lots of power!

Just my 2 cents.

Christopher M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, thats a good point, and yet another reason to step down to the BP10's.

Thanks for input, more comments/suggestions are always appreciated.

Murdock

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks