Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Sirius receiver question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 10:22 PM

When I first hooked up with Sirius I purchased the Here2Anywhere unit. The music sounded pretty good but still sounded rather compressed.

Yesterday I diconnected the Here2Anywhere and installed the free kenwood receiver. Right off the bat I feel the audio has greatly improved, not to mention the easy of using the steering wheel controls to change channels

My question is; Does the dedicated receiver feeding the siruis ready deck really make that much of a difference or are my ears hearing what I want to hear?

If it does make a difference why does it seem the Here2Anywhere can not match that of the receiver?

Thanks
Scott

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Jed M

Jed M

Screenwriter

• 2,030 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 06:21 AM

If I am reading your question correctly, I think it would be the same as asking why doesn't a portable clock radio sound as good as a home receiver? Listening to XM on my $600 pioneer car receiver sounds better than on my portable delphi unit. Ones primary goal is convenience, the other is purely to play music well.
Long you live and high you fly
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
And all you touch and all you see
Is all your life will ever be.
-R. Waters

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   DennisF

DennisF

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 04:32 PM

Jed has it right. I changed to a better HU on my first in-car tuner and it was *much* better. I think the surprise is that with satellite radio (Sirius or XM) the source is better sound quality than what we feed it in to. With broadcast FM that certainly isn't true.

Sirius Rocks! Posted Image

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   ScottCarr

ScottCarr

Second Unit

• 459 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 04:38 PM

Thank you for your replies.
Everyone in the family thinks I am crazy for paying for radio, except my father in law. So far it is worth every penny.

Scott