What's new

My Theta Casablanca warranty story! (1 Viewer)

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Ok so I know this seems like a bit much but after trading my warranty replacement 49txi for a Theta Casablanca (used private owner). The Theta was damaged in shipping the transformers were nearly ripped off the board among other things. So Theta rebuilt the unit and sent it to me. Lots of issues with it,shipping the unit back Theta paid for 2nd day air from mass to Ca. went through the unit again and sent it back to me overnight express. The unit still had issues, I turned on the unit and the sound level was on 0 and the sound was as loud as it go only on my left surround needless to say It scared the sh*t out of me. I unpluged it and called Theta immediately very upset. The man I have been dealing with told me to pack it up and they would pick it up and this time the unit was going to be decomisioned, he said they should have done that after it was damaged. So they are replacing that unit with a factory reference piece CB1 and for my inconvenience they offered to upgrade me to a Casablanca 3 for a price so low that I cant mention how much;) I have had two companies so far with amazing customer service and I have been fortunate enough to be on the receiving end of some great luck:D

I never imagined that I would ever own a Casablanca 1 never mind a Casablanca 3 and for roughly the retail price of my old 49tx

Theta is burning in my unit this weekend and going through final nspection and they are overnighting the unit to me Monday:emoji_thumbsup:

Bob

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Bob,

You sure have great luck on how you make out with your receiver upgrades. However, I'll have to point out that you have extremely bad luck when it comes to shipping.

Enjoy your new Theta !!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Wayne, funny you said that about the shipping someone else said to me I must have a insider at ups:D

Bob

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Casablanca 3, you lucky dog!

Maybe I should throw my Casa Nova around the house a bit, I think it might still be under warranty.:D

Kidding Theta, just kidding! No really!

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
You know - for years I wanted a Casablanca - I just love that heavy, solid look and feel - but it had always been just out my financial reach. I see used ones on Audiogon and sometimes elsewhere that are within my financial reach. Maybe I ought to consider one. Hmmm ....

Yogi

Screenwriter
Damn, you lucky dog! I wish I could get that for my HT.

Best of luck.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Truly a wonderful experience with Theta. I'll bet you were wondering there for a long while!

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Theta is a very classy company, you figure I purchased a used Casablanca from a private owner for 3k which fortunately had a warranty. My point is I didn't spend $23000.00 on a fully configured pre pro but I was still treated like I did. They always answer the phone I always talk to the head tech John I dont even have to tell him whos calling he knows my voice that gives you an idea how often we converse and they have been absolutely determined to give me what I expected when I purchased my Casablanca. Theta is a family owned business and from my experience I would gladly spend my money with this company in the future.

Bob

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Bob, what is your setup at present? I think it might finally be time for me to head up there to check it out.

By the way, I have fully moved into my new place and am running 7.1 now if you want to head on down here.

-Ev

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Hey Evan,

My current setup is;

Infocus sp7200 dlp projector
123" diagonal matte white screen (curtains across front of screen)
Berkline style 99 cinema series recliners w/cupholders
lutron grafik eye 4 zone remote lighting system
stadium seating for the back row
mx-600 rf universal remote
Theta Casablanca 1 (soon to 3)
paradigm studio 100s v2
paradigm studio cc
paradigm studio adp surrounds
svs 20-39+
sampson s700 amp
parasound 2205
motorola 5100 hi def cable box
panasonic rp 91 dvd player
monster 2600 power center

Your welcome over anytime just drop me an email

Bob

javry

Agent
Sounds like you struck a real good chord with Theta. I'll tell you that I have never called and asked for John and not found him ready and willing to talk to me. I hope Theta is taking good care of that guy cause if it wasn't for him, I'm not sure they would enjoy as much success as they have.
Javry

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Its funny that you say that cause I called the owner of theta left a message for him. I rececieved a call back in 20 min he called me back from his home in Hawaii, we spoke for about twenty min. and I praised johns great customer service. He appreciated the call and the good words.

Bob

EarlR

Stunt Coordinator
I had similar great service from Theta last year. I have owned a Casablanca since they first became available. I have upgraded it over the years and finally ended up with an II version with x-treme dacs. Last spring, after the X-treme upgrade, I started having problems with lock ups and the audio cutting off. I went back and forth with John trying different things but couldn’t nail sown the problem. Finally John said if I would wait till they got all the bugs out of the new operating system he would build me a brand new II equipped exactly like my current unit and do and exchange. Of course I jumped at the offer and got a new II in exchange in November. I couldn’t be happier both with the new unit, which has been flawless, and the great service from Theta. I would highly recommend all Theta products to anyone looking for the best quality and service in audio/video products.

Earl

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Earl,

nice theater pics, I have a similar setup but my room is smaller. My 123" screen has a dark green curtain with gold fringe on the bottom. My walls are dark brown panel so I painted my drop cieling acoustic tiles choc brown. It made an enourmous difference. I noticed your walls are white you should consider painting them a dark color to blend with your curtains, carpet and chairs etc. maybe a dark brown would look nice or hunter green?

bob

EarlR

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the comments on my H/T. The walls are actually dark gray, the camera flash made them look much brighter. I have made several changes since I took those pictures, just haven’t gotten around to taking any new ones.

Earl

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Earl, you shure have some nice gear there! I bet those speakers sound great with those extreme dacs:D

Bob

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Did any of you Theta owners notice Neil's response in the latest Stereophile that they are fed up with waiting on the big boys to approve an industry standard digital connection and our going to start implementing their own with the Compli player which will be compatible both with the new DAC and both processors. I am glad to see them finallly just go this route, snd hopefully they implement the connection in the Carmen and David players as well. I once had the chance to compare an original Carmen to my Sony S7000 and it punked the Sony, easily in audio, slightly in video but I using S-vidoe on the Carmen and component on the Sony. Look forward to the day I can own one of their players.

Secondly, has anyone purchased the digital outs on their processor, and used the processor with a digital input and then send out the signal to an outboard DAC after crossovers and volume have been altered. I originally didn't buy mine this way, but I think I am going to go this route when I do upgrade my processor. The ability to have my music and movies tied together through some sweet DAC like the Generation VIII is very appealing and for me makes the unit impossible to become obsolete. In particular for me since I only run a 2.1 system. What are other's thoughts on doing this?

BrianAe

Second Unit
Earl, amazing theater. Can you explain the rear center channel to me? Do all three speakers on the back wall play the rear surround?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks