What's new

New T2 packaging. No Tin. (1 Viewer)

Travis D

Second Unit
My neighbor just bought Terminator 2:UE and guess what. It is now a two disc set in a Double Alpha with a cardboard sleeve. I kinda like it more than my metal case. The Double Alpha just makes it that much more appealing.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Agreed, I am not a fan of the 'tin'. maybe if they'd bothered to make it go the whole way round...
In fact I'd much rather have it on two DVD9's with nice picture labels instead of a worryingly scratch-worthy DVD18 any day. I don't understand this fascination with DVD18 - they're just not fun.
Theo

Ash Williams

Second Unit
I heard some time ago that the tin was a "Limited Edition" so that is probably why it stopped. As for DVD-18, I like it, it must keep the cost down to some degree. And I have seen the artwork for the limited number of 2-Disc tin sets they released, and trust me your not losing much.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
In fact I'd much rather have it on two DVD9's with nice picture labels instead of a worryingly scratch-worthy DVD18 any day. I don't understand this fascination with DVD18 - they're just not fun.
I don't know that I'd say people are "fascinated" by DVD-18, some of us just don't mind them. The only thing the studios need to do is learn how to label the sides more clearly.
People seem to be worried about scratches, which is a complaint I never heard with DVD-10. Just how often are people rubbing their discs against things anyway? I think this is more a problem of perception than reality.

DannyS

Second Unit
I purchased this wonderful dvd in April. My discs come in a Metal slipcase with booklet and singluar amaray case with an internal "flap" that you place the 2nd disc on. Is this 2 disc set of T2UE rare?
------------------
Panasonic TX-21M2T TV
Sony DVP 536
Old Panasonic Stereo! :)
[Edited last by DannyS on September 03, 2001 at 01:52 PM]

Travis D

Second Unit
The 2 disc "Metal Slip" version is the rare one. All signs show that Artisan will no longer produce the DVD-18 version either.

Tom Ryan

Screenwriter
I wouldn't call the one with the metal slipcase "rare" since it was released over a year ago and the metal slipcases are just now starting to run out. You can probably get a profit of about $1 on ebay for this one :).
-Tom
------------------
There is nothing wrong with any of the surrounds on your Forrest Gump DVD! It's ok!!!

John Miles

Stunt Coordinator
I think what he's referring to is the presence of two DVD-9s in his copy of T2:UE. Very few were made that way, perhaps as a backup in case of yield problems with the DVD-18 that most of us got.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
about as rare as the "special limited edition" of Saving Private Ryan...

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -
i'm unfamiliar with the terminology here: dvd-9, dvd-10, dvd-18?. would someone mind explaining?
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
This is a reference that I have stored in the spreadsheet I use to list my DVD collection. I am certain the info hasn't changed in 1½ years, so I'm not running to double-check it or anything. Here's what I've got:
Capacities of DVD:
For reference, a CD-ROM holds about 650 megabytes, which is 0.64 gigabytes or 0.68 billion bytes. In the list below, SS/DS means single-/double-sided, SL/DL/ML means single-/dual-/mixed-layer (mixed means single layer on one side, double layer on the other side), gig means gigabytes (2^30), G means billions of bytes (10^9). See note about giga vs. billion in section 7.2.
DVD-5 (12cm, SS/SL): 4.38 gig (4.7 G) of data, over 2 hours of video
DVD-9 (12cm, SS/DL): 7.95 gig (8.5 G), about 4 hours "RSDL"
DVD-10 (12cm, DS/SL): 8.75 gig (9.4 G), about 4.5 hours
DVD-14 (12cm, DS/ML): 12.33 gig (13.24 G), about 6.5 hours
DVD-18 (12cm, DS/DL): 15.90 gig (17 G), over 8 hours
From the February 29, 2000 revision of the official Internet DVD FAQ for the rec.video.dvd Usenet newsgroups.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
I hate the metal slip case. Every time I pick it up from my shelf the box drops out of it onto the floor!
Try this: Stick the booklet between the DVD case and the metal slip case. You'll find that the the DVD case will fit in there very nicely. In fact, it works so well, that I think this is how it was meant to be used.
------------------
-J.Fo
"And you can tell Rolling Stone magazine that my last words were... 'I'm on drugs!'"

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The metal slip case sucks. It looks cool, and I like the idea behind it, but it just doesn't work well with the case for the dvd.
I will have to try some of the suggestions mentioned above.

Craig

Second Unit
I just got one the 2 DVD sets in the metal slip case from Buy.com arrived 4 or 5 days ago. It says DVD-18 at Buy.com guess they have some of the old versions in stock however, because I got 2 DVD-9s.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I lucked out and got the two disc Tin with the pretty pictures and what not. I don't have a problem with the metal case (I think it's a nice touch), but I am aware of the slipping problem. That's why with my cat-like reflexes
rolleyes.gif
, I catch the case before it falls out.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
My DVD Collection

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
DVD-5 (12cm, SS/SL): 4.38 gig (4.7 G) of data, over 2 hours of video
DVD-10 (12cm, DS/SL): 8.75 gig (9.4 G), about 4.5 hours
DVD-14 (12cm, DS/ML): 12.33 gig (13.24 G), about 6.5 hours
Actually....
With a DVD-5, you can get in 150 minutes (2½ hours) of good quality video and DVD-10 300 minutes (5 hours).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Ben Motley

Supporting Actor
I too used to be stressed about the metal slip-case (a proper term if ever there was one) but then one day I put the metal case on my mantle, along with all my pretty, shiney Anchor Bay tins, and put the double amaray keepcase in my dvd collection proper. I feel that I have taken back my life, and greet each new day with hope and vigor! You too can get over this, and reclaim your life! Be excited!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks