What's new

Rock N Roll is the best album I have heard in years... (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Don't pass up a chance to get the new Ryan Adams CD Rock N Roll. It is great fun and in the same vein as a good 70s or 80s rock album.

Highly recommended. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Wiffen

Stunt Coordinator
I was just thinking to myself..."I wonder if anyone on HTF has reviewed this album for me yet?" And here it is, albeit a short review. Thanks!

I'll be picking this up tonight. Has anyone picked up the Love Is Hell, Part 1 [ep] released the same day?

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Interesting stuff.

I was only able to listen to the 5 samples on Amazon, but its nothing like his previous album. Every track that has samples rocks out pretty well.

Someone wanted to trade me "Gold" at one point, but that one is just not to my tastes. This one is much more like it. I might just pick this one up.

Lee, since you have the disc, is it just me, or does "Shallow" borrow the main riff from "Long Cool Woman"?

BGL

Juan Castillo

Second Unit
aghhh, after his "robin hood" song, I can't stand him..

j/j.. never heard him, but I hear its a great album.

TomCW

Second Unit
Momma always said 'If ya can't say somthin' nice, don't say nothin' at all', so my mouth is closed on this one.
Tom

Paul Case

Supporting Actor
I dig this album a lot. At first I wasn't terribly impressed, but it's really grown on me. I still like Love is Hell better, but that's just because I think it has more depth. Rock n Roll is definitely a lot more fun, though. Rock n Roll is a great Saturday night record. Love is Hell is perfect for the morning after. They are both great in their own way. :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I agree Paul. Rock N Roll just seems to be getting better for me as I listen to it now for the 6th time.

Why can't more artists do heavier guitar riffs like this?

It's loud, clear, creative, and the hooks really dig into ya.

I read an interview of Ryan Adams that was interesting in Spin magazine. They like the album also. :)

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Lee, I thought you might be interested in a bit of gossip I heard about the creation of this album. Now, this is hearsay, but here's what I heard:

After spending somewhere around $250,000 recording Love Is Hell, Ryan Adams delivered the album only to find it rejected for being too non-commercial. After that, supposedly Adams gathered up his drummer buddy Johnny T and recorded Rock N Roll over the course of one(!) weekend at the cost of just $5,000, which Adams put on his charge card :)

To address the original topic, Rock N Roll is, IMO, a fine album...but I'm definitely more of a Love Is Hell kinda guy.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
It should be out on SACD within a couple of mos. as it is listed on Universal's website. I bought the other CD he released that just came out, "Love is Hell." I have not listened to it yet. A friend told me it is good. I've been busy playing with the Rotel DVD-V/DVD-A player I borrowed until tomorrow so I have not had time to listen to new CDs.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
A suggestion: if you like Ryan Adams, grab a few Whiskeytown records, particularly "Pneumonia" and "Strangers Almanac." One of the great, criminally underheard bands of alt.country, now defunct, but reuniting soon for a tour and (fingers crossed) hopefully a record.

I think "Pneumonia," which is in many ways a Ryan Adams solo record, is better than any of his solo releases up to "Rock n Roll" and "Love is Hell," which I haven't heard yet.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
If one likes Ryan Adams, check out Jesse Malin's "The Fine Art of Self Destruction." Ryan Adams produced it (his first) and sings and plays on it. He also has performed with Jesse Malin, including a huge free concert in NY last July 4.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I listened to ROCK N ROLL on vinyl last night. It sounded good up to an extent. The album is too long for it's two sides. The grooves are too narrow. Side 1 is over 25 minutes and side 2 is just over 23 minutes. My bet is that the alledged SACD will sound better...?

This album owes a great debt to U2. THIS IS IT, the first song, sounds like it could of come from U2's UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY as do several other songs. I aggree with Brian that SHALLOW reminds me of the Hollies. It's rythmn riff is also alot like T-Rex's BANG A GONG to my ears.

SO ALIVE sounds like early U2 to me also as does SHE'S LOST TOTAL CONTROL and BOYS. I'm not saying he should thank U2 in the credits but but if he ever meets them, he owes them a nod and a wink. All, well most, rock music is by it's very nature derivitive....

I really enjoyed the album but I now sort'a wish I'd waited for the SACD. I got a nearly purr-fect pressing of the record atleast. Oh, even though it wasn't billed as 180 grams, it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks