-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Rock N Roll is the best album I have heard in years...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 06:22 AM

Don't pass up a chance to get the new Ryan Adams CD Rock N Roll. It is great fun and in the same vein as a good 70s or 80s rock album.

Highly recommended. Posted Image
Viewing: Sony KDSXBR150, Sony Bluray S570, ATT Uverse
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#2 of 28 Jeffrey Wiffen

Jeffrey Wiffen

Stunt Coordinator

• 85 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 08:14 AM

I was just thinking to myself..."I wonder if anyone on HTF has reviewed this album for me yet?" And here it is, albeit a short review. Thanks!

I'll be picking this up tonight. Has anyone picked up the Love Is Hell, Part 1 [ep] released the same day?
BOB: What are you doing?

DIGNAN: I'm putting a piece of tape on my nose.

Anthony tapes his nose. They stare out the windshield. The alarm on Dignan's digital watch goes off.DIGNAN: (immediately, dead serious) Let's get lucky.

#3 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 09:02 AM

Quote:
Has anyone picked up the Love Is Hell, Part 1 [ep] released the same day?

It's pretty good but I have only heard a few songs-more of a somber tone versus the raucous tone of Rock N Roll.

Get Gold if you don't already have it as well. Posted Image
Listening: Sony SCD777ES, Benchmark DAC1Pre, VPI/Modwright SWP9SE/Lyra Argo, Audio Research Ref3/VT100, Maggie 1.7s

#4 of 28 Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 09:31 AM

Interesting stuff.

I was only able to listen to the 5 samples on Amazon, but its nothing like his previous album. Every track that has samples rocks out pretty well.

Someone wanted to trade me "Gold" at one point, but that one is just not to my tastes. This one is much more like it. I might just pick this one up.

Lee, since you have the disc, is it just me, or does "Shallow" borrow the main riff from "Long Cool Woman"?

BGL

#5 of 28 Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo

Second Unit

• 434 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 09:37 AM

aghhh, after his "robin hood" song, I can't stand him..

j/j.. never heard him, but I hear its a great album.

#6 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 10:25 AM

Quote:
Lee, since you have the disc, is it just me, or does "Shallow" borrow the main riff from "Long Cool Woman"?

It does sound familiar yet different.

The guitar riffs on this album are great and sound well recorded.

This stuff is so good you'll never hear it on the radio. Posted Image

#7 of 28 TomCW

TomCW

Second Unit

• 339 posts

Posted November 07 2003 - 03:28 PM

Momma always said 'If ya can't say somthin' nice, don't say nothin' at all', so my mouth is closed on this one.
Tom
I like to live in an altered state/ it makes me love all the things I hate.

#8 of 28 Paul Case

Paul Case

Supporting Actor

• 532 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 05:48 AM

I dig this album a lot. At first I wasn't terribly impressed, but it's really grown on me. I still like Love is Hell better, but that's just because I think it has more depth. Rock n Roll is definitely a lot more fun, though. Rock n Roll is a great Saturday night record. Love is Hell is perfect for the morning after. They are both great in their own way. Posted Image

#9 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 11:22 AM

I agree Paul. Rock N Roll just seems to be getting better for me as I listen to it now for the 6th time.

Why can't more artists do heavier guitar riffs like this?

It's loud, clear, creative, and the hooks really dig into ya.

I read an interview of Ryan Adams that was interesting in Spin magazine. They like the album also. Posted Image

#10 of 28 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 02:22 PM

Ant vhy esn't et un zee SACD fourmat?...yet?
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#11 of 28 Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter

• 1,425 posts

Posted November 08 2003 - 02:50 PM

Lee, I thought you might be interested in a bit of gossip I heard about the creation of this album. Now, this is hearsay, but here's what I heard:

After spending somewhere around $250,000 recording Love Is Hell, Ryan Adams delivered the album only to find it rejected for being too non-commercial. After that, supposedly Adams gathered up his drummer buddy Johnny T and recorded Rock N Roll over the course of one(!) weekend at the cost of just $5,000, which Adams put on his charge card Posted Image

To address the original topic, Rock N Roll is, IMO, a fine album...but I'm definitely more of a Love Is Hell kinda guy.
Tim's Essential Music

Xbox Live gamertag: Stangboy124

#12 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 01:39 AM

Quote:
Ryan Adams delivered the album only to find it rejected for being too non-commercial.

More evidence of lack of intelligence in the music business. Posted Image

#13 of 28 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,761 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted November 10 2003 - 05:31 AM

It should be out on SACD within a couple of mos. as it is listed on Universal's website. I bought the other CD he released that just came out, "Love is Hell." I have not listened to it yet. A friend told me it is good. I've been busy playing with the Rotel DVD-V/DVD-A player I borrowed until tomorrow so I have not had time to listen to new CDs.

#14 of 28 Bill Leber

Bill Leber

Stunt Coordinator

• 134 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 05:39 AM

It reminds me a lot of The Replacements. That's a good thing!

#15 of 28 Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 05:42 AM

A suggestion: if you like Ryan Adams, grab a few Whiskeytown records, particularly "Pneumonia" and "Strangers Almanac." One of the great, criminally underheard bands of alt.country, now defunct, but reuniting soon for a tour and (fingers crossed) hopefully a record.

I think "Pneumonia," which is in many ways a Ryan Adams solo record, is better than any of his solo releases up to "Rock n Roll" and "Love is Hell," which I haven't heard yet.

#16 of 28 Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins

Producer

• 6,396 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 06:30 AM

Quote:
grab a few Whiskeytown records, particularly "Pneumonia" and "Strangers Almanac."

Thanks Angelo for the suggestions. I had planned on looking into the Whiskeytown records. I look forward to the potential concert reunion. Let's hope Ryan comes down South. Posted Image

#17 of 28 Phil A

Phil A

Screenwriter

• 2,761 posts
  • LocationCentral FL

Posted November 10 2003 - 07:22 AM

If one likes Ryan Adams, check out Jesse Malin's "The Fine Art of Self Destruction." Ryan Adams produced it (his first) and sings and plays on it. He also has performed with Jesse Malin, including a huge free concert in NY last July 4.

#18 of 28 JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 09:08 AM

Any amazing guitar solos?
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#19 of 28 Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted November 10 2003 - 10:39 AM

Quote:
"Pneumonia" and "Strangers Almanac."

And "Faithless Street."
Posted Image Posted Image

#20 of 28 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted November 16 2003 - 03:43 AM

I listened to ROCK N ROLL on vinyl last night. It sounded good up to an extent. The album is too long for it's two sides. The grooves are too narrow. Side 1 is over 25 minutes and side 2 is just over 23 minutes. My bet is that the alledged SACD will sound better...?

This album owes a great debt to U2. THIS IS IT, the first song, sounds like it could of come from U2's UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY as do several other songs. I aggree with Brian that SHALLOW reminds me of the Hollies. It's rythmn riff is also alot like T-Rex's BANG A GONG to my ears.

SO ALIVE sounds like early U2 to me also as does SHE'S LOST TOTAL CONTROL and BOYS. I'm not saying he should thank U2 in the credits but but if he ever meets them, he owes them a nod and a wink. All, well most, rock music is by it's very nature derivitive....

I really enjoyed the album but I now sort'a wish I'd waited for the SACD. I got a nearly purr-fect pressing of the record atleast. Oh, even though it wasn't billed as 180 grams, it was.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow