What's new

DVDs you regret purchasing (1 Viewer)

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
Ever look back upon your collection and find a few titles that just make you say "Man what was I smoking?" or maybe some you've never even watched. Here are a few for me:

- Romeo + Juliet: SE: I've had it for months and I haven't bothered watching it yet.
- Moby: Play the DVD: It's Moby. Nuff said.
- Braveheart: This one was probably just peer pressure. Most of my friends loved it. I thought it was okay.
- Waking Life: It's so pretenious. I need to watch it again though to pass final judgement.
- Tron: I saw it once and I thought it was okay. I think the pretty 2-disc set got me.
- Mary Tyler Moore: It's mildly funny but not $40 worth funny.
- Twin Peaks: After all the buzz I bought it blind. I don't much care for it. Maybe it was cool 13 years ago.
- The Naked Gun: Another blind buy. Funny at first, not so much the 2nd time.

Pretty much the rest of my collection I am proud of but my money spent on these could have gone towards something more worthwhile.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
- The Naked Gun: Another blind buy. Funny at first, not so much the 2nd time.
Are you crazy??? The DVD was worth it just for the commentary! That is my all time favorite movie!

Anyways...

-Vegas Vacation. I liked the movie, but the menus and extras are awful, considering they redid the previous vacations and not this one.

And...thats it :D

Kevin Porter

Supporting Actor
"I havent met a DVD I didnt like!" - The man with over eleven hundred DVDs and (apparently) low standards

Jesse Blough

Second Unit
So far only one:

Carnivore

It was a blind five dollar Walmart purchase. The cover looked cool, and the back advertised a bunch of extras, so I figured... If it sucked, at least I'll get a commentary track from the makers and hear them making fun of it...

Nope, the disc was completely featureless. The worst case of false advertising ever.

Also, it was the single worst movie I've ever seen.

I never gave it away because it makes every single movie I own seem a gazillion times better in comparision.

I still want my five bucks back.

Wyatt_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm....two I suppose:

1) 'The Last Emperor' - great movie; DVD transfer is so poor it is the ONLY movie I simply couldn't watch due to the transfer...tried two separate times...a travesty!!

2) 'Enter the Dragon' - which I mistakenly ordered thinking it was the Bruce Lee story...

WY

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Can't say I actually regret any of my purchases, There are a couple of films I don't care for, but I don't regret. I'm proud of my diverse collection. Or I may just be insane....:crazy:

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I regret the following:

Star Wars Episode 1
Star Wars Episode 2

The only reason I liked Ep. 1 the first time was the awesome pod race, but then watching the whole movie again I realised how bad the movie really was.

Thinking Episode 2 might be better, I bought it without watching it before, and what a mistake it was.

Thankfully, I've sold them off E-bay just 3 days ago. :D

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Just to name a few:

I Spy
Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

IMO, both of them are utter crap!

Ray_Gootz

Stunt Coordinator
Tomb Raider: altohugh I found this mint in packaging lying on the sidewalk thanksgiving Morning 2001. Even free I felt like I wasted my money.

Charlie's Angels: Complete Utter crap.

Dancer in the Dark: crap.

Friends season 2

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Blair Witch Project.

I saw it in the theaters before much of the hype went crazy for it, so I knew NOTHING going in. Was quite effective that way.

I then discovered it's horribly UN-rewatchable. Oh well, maybe it'll be a novelty to the "I love the 90's" generation in 20 years.

SvenS

Second Unit
The Limey - This is one horrible film!

Tron - I watched it when it came out all those years ago and it was fine but watching it again now t seemed way to juvenile for me to enjoy.

Hackers - Same as Tron now it is just to juvenile for me.

Star Wars episode 2 with digital-to-digital and having liked it in theaters. It's gets progressively harder to watch with repeated viewings. Also I would say Black Hawk Down if only because I havent watched it but war movies are hard to watch too often. Im sure I'll watch it eventually. Probably a blind buy of Equilibrium. Just wanted to rent it but couldnt find it. So overall only that and Star Wars. Havent gotten into my BHD disc then

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Jackass The Movie- not because of the content (which I'll admit I found entertaining) but because this isn't an actual movie- it's VIDEO! It didn't look that way in theatres- with separate widescreen and "fullscreen" versions I thought the widescreen would be faithful to the theatrical presentation, but I was wrong!

Revenge Of The Nerds- One of my all-time favorites, bought on street date, then found out the scenes showing the sign in front of the house they rent (including the triumphant march down the street with it) are cut because a real person had the phone number shown on it (why not change their phone number instead???)

Robin Hood- an Austrailian TV animated version, which I bought just because of the big DTS logo on the front cover. Turned out to be a mono track with sort of a fake reverbed 5.1 track. It was then I realized that DTS didn't guarantee great sound every time. (There were several others of these out too.)

Something Weird Video's "Beauties and Beasts" box set- Well OK, the movies themselves look good and are fairly entertaining, but all the extras this is "packed with" have SWV's watermark on them, including all 90-something trailers on the "Extra Weird Sampler" disc! I sure don't want to encourage any other companies to adopt this practice, since it's already made TV unwatchable.

"4-Pack" adult DVDs from Videoage.com- I got one that promised four classic 70s XXX flicks, including "Autobiography Of A Flea", but turned out to be taken from VHS tapes AND edited for time down to about an hour each, with many funny non-sex scenes from the aforementioned movie gone!

8 To 4- another classic XXX flick (spoof of "9 to 5"- I swear I watch these for their cinematic merits!) from Caballero, which was one of the few companies in that category to put out decent-quality VHS tapes, as well as laserdiscs through Image Entertainment, but their DVD department shows they've taken as many backwards steps as Columbia/Tristar. This one's for some reason split into 3 titles so there's pauses during the movie while it goes to the next one, and the entire end credits are missing- movie just stops dead!

And of course the two obligatory titles that everyone hates- Metropolis from Madacy Entertainment, and I Want My DVD Vol. 2 (music videos taken from mono VHS tapes- I watch this often just to marvel at how awful it is!)

Shane S.

Stunt Coordinator
Pearl Harbor (Bomb cam was cool)
Joy Ride (Wife bought it but I guess it counts)
The One (I've actually watched it 3 times and I just can't like it)
Get Carter (My names Carter and you don't want to watch this)
Dude Where's My Car (I feel dumber for having watched this movie)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Most of the DVDs that I regret purchasing are the ones that have been re-released in "Special Editions." I wish that I would have waited for them instead of purchasing them twice. Now I have tons of "doubles" on my shelf. :angry:

The other regrets I have are of course blind buys, that I don't end up liking.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Lord of the Rings EE....oh wait, just kidding. However, the only thing I have regretted sometimes is spending the amount of money I have on so many DVD's.

AJG

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I sorta regreat buying Silly Symphonies and Mickey Mouse In Living Color. They aren't bad discs, I just don't ever watch them. I sorta bought them because of the limited number, but now I'm sorta like "why?" Also, my Willow dvd isn't quite as magical as I remembered either. I'm sure there are a few others.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks