What's new

The MGM "please re-issue these DVDs" thread. Post your lists! (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Apologies if this kind of thread has been started previously.

I thought it'd be interesting if we'd all list our choices of MGM DVDs we'd like to see re-issued. This of course applies to bare bones discs and full frame only discs that we'd like to see as "special editions" or at the very least, new OAR/widescreen versions. Since somebody from MGM may be reading this, please try to give them your reasons as to why they should release new versions.

I'll start;

1) "The Return of the Living Dead" – Probably one of the greatest cult horror films of all time. When it first hit DVD in August of 2002, *many* people complained that they either couldn't find a copy at stores or some stores only had 2-3 copies and they sold out quickly. Not to mention the fact that there was zero promotion for the DVD.

Having spoken with most of the cast/crew members, ALL of them have told me they'd be willing to participate – interviews for a more robust documentary, etc. There are also deleted scenes that could be included. Let's not forget that director Dan O'Bannon would LOVE to do a "director's cut." "The Return of the Living Dead" is a highly regarded film in the horror community, it not only got better reviews than George Romero's "Day of the Dead" (which was released the same year) but had a higher box office gross.

2) "A Fish Called Wanda" – A worldwide smash hit featuring one of the best comedic casts in the past few decades. Kevin Kline won an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor. Also starring Monty Python alum Michael Palin and John Cleese plus the wonderful Jamie Lee Curtis. Why do some hit films that remain so popular after several years get no respect on home video?

3) "Get Shorty" – Yet another hit comedy with yet *another* stellar cast...John Travolta, Danny DeVito, Gene Hackman, Rene Russo, James Gandolfini, etc. Yet another bare bones DVD. What gives? Don't make me call Momo MGM!

4) "Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins" – Ok, granted this was certainly NOT a box office hit. However movies *do* gain a decent audience on home video and multiple TV airings (look at "Roadhouse", a cheesy B-movie that debuted in the top 10 DVD sales chart!) Clearly "Remo.." is one of those films. While one could understand a bare bones DVD for this flick, one can *never* understand not giving fans an OAR version.

5) "The Dark Half" – When I first got into DVD a few years ago, this was one of the initial titles I was intending to purchase...until I saw it was full frame only. Directed by George Romero and based on a story by Stephen King, "The Dark Half" is a woefully underappreciated horror film that, at the very least, deserves a widescreen edition (though I wouldn't mind a Romero commentary.)

6) "The Birdcage" – Didn't this one gross $100 million at the box office? This remake featured another all-star cast (Robin Williams, Gene Hackman, Nathan Lane, etc) that has a lowly bare bones DVD to represent it in people's homes. I'm seeing a trend here...big hit, star cast, great reviews...bare bones DVD. Strange innit? MGM, with all due respect, doesn't exactly crank out major hits at the box office on a regular basis so perhaps they need to squeeze as much as they can out of the hits they *do* have?

7) "Misery" – Kathy Bates won an Oscar for Best Actress in this Stephen King horror-fest. We shouldn't forget James Caan either....and ho-hum...box office hit, great reviews, cast....blah blah. Talk about movies just screaming for a special edition DVD.

8) "Needful Things" – Here's another Stephen King adaptation that unfortunately went unnoticed at the box office. As anyone who has seen it on TV, there is a wealth of deleted footage that could be included on a future re-issue.

Ok, that's a start. Please list your choices guys and gals.

Will K

Screenwriter
Good list, Michael. Can't argue with any of those.

Irritatingly enough, Wanda has been available as a loaded Region 2 SE for quite a few months now. I find it hard to believe MGM hasn't ported this over for R1 yet.

Moonstruck - The present release is full-frame only. Yuck. This is a great, great movie and Cher's crown jewel of her film career. A proper 16x9 version is definitely in order.

Child's Play - The original Chucky flick. Needs a widescreen/16x9 release. Throw in a Brad Dourif commentary.

Pumpkinhead - Full frame.

Mark Kalzer

Second Unit
Spaceballs! The current DVD has just terrible picture quality, not to mention non-anamorphic. Please re-issue!

Tom De Rosa

Stunt Coordinator
Red Dawn Anamorphic with Milius commentary
The Dirty Dozen Anamorphic
Easy Money Anamorphic
Network or did this go to WB?
Raging Bull Special Edition w/ The Works
Rollerball Anamorphic w/ Caan commentary JON-A-THAN!
Thief Anamorphic w/ Caan/Mann comentary
The Thomas Crown Affair Anamorphic (original)
WarGames Anamorphic w/ The Works

All of The Pink Panther movies, boxset please

Not to mention newly restored Bonds

Jodee

Screenwriter
OAR and anamorphic reissues of these titles please:

Moonstruck

Mr. Mom

Yours, Mine & Ours

Breakin

Breakin'2: Electric Boogaloo

Fluke

Dmitry

Supporting Actor

Anamorphic SEs:
Fistful of Dollars
For a Few Dollars More
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Jason*C

Grip
I'd like to see Top Gun released with Anamorphic widescreen. Though I guess from a digital bits transcript, its due sometime in 2004.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
WHERE THE HELL IS "ICE PIRATES" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:angry:

Class of 1984

and more "Cult Classics " S**t if you guys pulled your heads out of your a**es you see what fans want !!! And not full frame !!!! Search the valuts I know there is a print of Remo Williams in there somewhere !!!!!!!!!!!!!

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that Moonstruck deserves a rerelease in OAR at the least. It is a great little film. I would also like a rerelease of Miracle Mile.

Will K

Screenwriter
I forgot about Back To School. That disc was horrid. Didn't they just slap black bars onto a pain&scam transfer?

Give Rodney some respect!

In light of the succesful remake, how about a SE redux of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?

Art_AD

Stunt Coordinator
My Picks:

Night of the Hunter- With the new documentary made about the film (although I believe MGM was not involved and may not have the rights to it)

The Apartment- This deserves a special edition

The Big Country- This deserves a special edition (maybe with the laser disc extras) and the current transfer is lacking

Exodus- This deserves a special edition and the current transfer is lacking.

Moonstruck- Special Edition.

The Alamo- Special edition (The new film will be out next spring)

The Great Escape-Special Ed (already an R2 release)

The Pink Panther films are all disc now (and rumored for April release) Also Discontinued is a Fish called Wanda (already released in R2) and Theater of Blood so hopefully they are working on something there. Also I kind of feel there will be something new with It's a Mad,Mad,Mad,Mad World next year (the current special edition is disc) and The Good The Bad & The Ugly (restored).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks