What's new

"Clone Wars" on DVD this year? (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
With all of the hype surrounding the premiere of the "Clone Wars" micro-series on the Cartoon Network tomorrow, I noticed in The Rumor Mill on Digital Bits that there may be a "Clone Wars" DVD release by the end of this year.

Could it be all 20 episodes of the micro-series on DVD, or just the first 10? It would be interesting if all 20 episodes were released at one time, since they're only airing the first 10 this year and the second 10 in 2004.

Thoughts?

Brenton

Screenwriter
It says possibly by the end of the year. I don't imagine that that will be true. I think they'll just wait till they're all aired.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
Don't you think if FOX were going to release a major product like that next month, they would have annnounced it by now? ;)

Neil

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I'm still a bit leery about it, especially with such a fast turnaround from TV to DVD, and the series hasn't even begun to air yet. Realistically, I'm thinking it wouldn't be on DVD until mid-2004, once all the episodes have aired. There needs to be some real clarification here on this one from a more legit source - are you reading us, Georgie-boy? :)

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I dunno...I'm skeptical about even half the series coming out on DVD this soon after the premiere, unless it's done as a limited run or chain exclusive item (along the lines of the R2-D2 "Beneath the Dome" DVD from last year around this time). Since the episodes are only going to be around 3-5 minutes in run time, a DVD with the first "season" of 1-10 would only be about 45 minutes or so long maximum. I'd think that Fox/Cartoon Network/Lucasfilm Ltd. would want to wait until all 20 episodes had aired so they could release the entire series as one single disc, possibly edited together to make them one seamless "film", but with each episode included individually as well (since they'd have room to do so and space left over with a dual-layered disc).

Of course, this is all just theory on my part, as well as being my own wishes for the micro-series, but a release of the first season of CW by the end of this year on DVD just seems really rushed to me. But, as always, I could be wrong.

Martin_KA

Agent
I think that they will release it this year, just for one reason, money. They know people will buy the dvd, and then buy it again once both seasons aired.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Each episode is only 3 minutes long. All 20 would only comprise 1 hour. And half of them would just be 30 minutes. Not a very exciting DVD to buy.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Yup, all done. I can see it being released in the fall. Would be nice if they threw in all sorts of extras and goodies and of course the director's commentaries which are already available and are pretty nice.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
It says on the site that they will show all 20 eps in one go tonight.

Damn shame I don't live in the states. Oh well, I guess I'll look for it on the web tomorrow. We can't even see the episodes on the site... "Only for viewers in the United States". I thought the internet was supposed to be a global thing.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Each episode is only 3 minutes long. All 20 would only comprise 1 hour.
The second season eps are 4 to 4:30 each, and the 20th is 8:30. The running time of my homeburned disc (with commercials removed) is 46 minutes long. Add in the first (shorter) season, the commentaries for both, and the behind the scenes segments and it is an excellent package.

Not to mention that the Clone Wars series has some of the best SW stuff since Empire.

-Dave

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yep, it just ended a few minutes ago, and I gotta say I really love this little fill in between the films.

I can see why this was done: People might otherwise complain that meat of the Clone Wars were never shown since EP3 opens with the Clone Wars ending.

Yet, I can see how all of this in a two hour film would cause a great deal of "Battle Fatigue," as Peter Jackson calls it, since it is a bunch of clones, droids, and Jedi all constantly in battle.

I liked the end with General Greivous, epecially since reading about him in "Star Wars Insider" in the current issue. The thing is, how much more techno-gadgitry can we go?

At some point, something is just going to be a ball of pure lightsaber that kills anything it contacts...and that would be dull. General Greivious looks like he is getting close to that level.

I gotta wonder how he factors in a "the new icon of evil" in EPIII.

Ben_@

Stunt Coordinator
Funny how this little Genndy Tartakovsky project is proving to be better than than episodes I and II (the films). It actually revitalizes my enthusiasm for the series. A dvd of this series would be awesome.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Is there anything that suggests these would be a FOX release?
I'm asking because the only thing I noticed in the credits (as fast as they were), was for Warner Bros.

Actually, Ben, "Clone Wars" enhanced my appreciation, in particular for the first film because of the way we saw a little battle that seemed like a big soccer field, to see that explode into a galaxy-wide phenomenon.

Still, I think IF "Clone Wars" had been other than a cartoon, it would've seemed, well, cartoonish!
:D

Even now it had its missteps. Others have already pointed out that Anakin yells one too many times during his duel, and the dialogue doesn't sound as wooden coming from drawings, and the great design style of the show also dimishes the impact of the lackluster dialog and flat acting.

Still, I would love to see that Sith Witch in the films themselves.
Too bad she appears to have died, although Anakin did not cut her in half. I suspect they avoided showing much in terms of humanoid bodies in pieces because of this was not part of "Adult Swim."

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
After watching the entire series on CN, I have to say my one criticism is that the Jedi seemed TOO powerful. We see Mace Windu plow through hundreds of battle droids WITHOUT his lightsaber! If the Jedi were that powerful, they wouldn't need the clonetroopers' help on Geonosis.

Is there anything that suggests these would be a FOX release?
I'm asking because the only thing I noticed in the credits (as fast as they were), was for Warner Bros.
I'm pretty sure this will be a Warner release (perhaps released alongside THX-1138).
Hopefully, they won't use a snapper case.

Since the episodes are widescreen, I hope they use anamorphic enhancement. 5.1 surround would be nice, too.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Loved the Clone Wars and would easily buy the dvd. But I also agree with Richard here. At times, the Jedi seemed too powerful and yet so did the Sith. This may be more of the over-the-top nature of animation since you can get away with things you couldn't do with film?

Still, it's terrific.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks