What's new

Widescreen of Arthur??? (1 Viewer)

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the Dudley Moore movie Arthur will be released in widescreen on DVD? That's the only thing holding me back from buying this, one of my all time favorite movies. I also want the National Lampoon's Vacation movies. Why do we still bother with full screen? Every DVD should at least have a widescreen option.
confused.gif

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
(focusing just on Region 1, here)
James, there have been a huge number of threads lately focusing on this issue. Arthur, Chariots of Fire, the Vacation series (well, the 3 titles released on DVD so far), Private Benjamin, and the 2 Grumpy Old Men films are among the (too) many DVDs that are released only in MAR (Modified Aspect Ratio; another way of saying non-widescreen when it was shown WS in theatres).
And those are just some of the Warner Bros. titles, and all of those have been out on DVD more than a year! The more recent attention has focused on newer WB releases like Pokemon 3 (now all 3 in that series are MAR), Willie Wonka (although WB broke down and announced an OAR version to ship Nov. 13th after consumers demanded it), and now the two Shiloh movies.
Other studios are in this mess, too: MGM titles like Moonstruck, Honeymoon in Vegas, Mr. Mom, The Idolmaker, Secret of NIMH, and the All Dogs Go To Heaven films and the much-desired Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are also MAR-only. Columbia just put out the 3 Karate Kid sequals in widescreen, but the original (and best) one remains Pan-And-Scanned!...no word of a new edition yet. Universal has a few, too (Al Pacino's Sea of Love comes to mind). And all of the Benji films, which have only been sold direct after Image lost the license, but are now starting to be distributed in stores again (I saw them show up in Best Buy this past week, 5 months after I bought them from Link Removed
[Edited last by David Lambert on September 09, 2001 at 07:46 AM]

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The lack of widescreen is the only thing that has prevented my from buying:
Arthur
Moonstruck
Private Benjamn
and
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
I would buy these titles once a widescreen DVD is released, until then - no sale.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Greg, the more than 2 dozen titles I mentioned in my post would all be instant buys...in OAR. With the possible exception of the Pokemon trilogy. But then you never know; my son IS 3 after all. And if I could bite the bullet and buy him Barney...
:)
Hey! Just realized it! Barney's Great Adventure (or whatever the name of the theatrically released film is) is also MAR. Grrrr....
Add another one to the list! Sigh. NO OAR = NO SALE
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks