Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Widescreen of Arthur???

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   James Reyes

James Reyes

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 09:16 PM

Does anyone know if the Dudley Moore movie Arthur will be released in widescreen on DVD? That's the only thing holding me back from buying this, one of my all time favorite movies. I also want the National Lampoon's Vacation movies. Why do we still bother with full screen? Every DVD should at least have a widescreen option. Posted Image
James Reyes

www.libertyforums.com

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 09:43 PM

region 4 = widescreen
http://www.michaeldv....p?ReviewID=136

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 08 2001 - 11:50 PM

(focusing just on Region 1, here)

James, there have been a huge number of threads lately focusing on this issue. Arthur, Chariots of Fire, the Vacation series (well, the 3 titles released on DVD so far), Private Benjamin, and the 2 Grumpy Old Men films are among the (too) many DVDs that are released only in MAR (Modified Aspect Ratio; another way of saying non-widescreen when it was shown WS in theatres).

And those are just some of the Warner Bros. titles, and all of those have been out on DVD more than a year! The more recent attention has focused on newer WB releases like Pokemon 3 (now all 3 in that series are MAR), Willie Wonka (although WB broke down and announced an OAR version to ship Nov. 13th after consumers demanded it), and now the two Shiloh movies.

Other studios are in this mess, too: MGM titles like Moonstruck, Honeymoon in Vegas, Mr. Mom, The Idolmaker, Secret of NIMH, and the All Dogs Go To Heaven films and the much-desired Chitty Chitty Bang Bang are also MAR-only. Columbia just put out the 3 Karate Kid sequals in widescreen, but the original (and best) one remains Pan-And-Scanned!...no word of a new edition yet. Universal has a few, too (Al Pacino's Sea of Love comes to mind). And all of the Benji films, which have only been sold direct after Image lost the license, but are now starting to be distributed in stores again (I saw them show up in Best Buy this past week, 5 months after I bought them from www.benjimovies.com and discovered after - to my horror - that they were MAR!).

Will the studios go back and re-do any of these in OAR (Original Aspect Ratio)? ONLY IF WE LET THEM KNOW WE WANT IT! Write, e-mail, call...let them know. "I don't have a problem unless you let me know I have a problem", right?

Meanwhile, it won't hurt your cause to sign this petition:
http://www.petitiono...x/petition.html

------------------

DAVE/Memphis

Widescreen is Family Fun!
Posted Image

[Edited last by David Lambert on September 09, 2001 at 07:46 AM]
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,303 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 09 2001 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
(Al Pacino's Sea of Love comes to mind)

Well, what did you expect? A "family film" if ever there was one. Posted Image

Joe

------------------

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 04:51 AM

The lack of widescreen is the only thing that has prevented my from buying:

Arthur
Moonstruck
Private Benjamn
and
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

I would buy these titles once a widescreen DVD is released, until then - no sale.

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 04:56 AM

deleted!

[Edited last by Andy_MT on September 09, 2001 at 11:58 AM]

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted September 09 2001 - 08:04 AM

Greg, the more than 2 dozen titles I mentioned in my post would all be instant buys...in OAR. With the possible exception of the Pokemon trilogy. But then you never know; my son IS 3 after all. And if I could bite the bullet and buy him Barney...

Posted Image

Hey! Just realized it! Barney's Great Adventure (or whatever the name of the theatrically released film is) is also MAR. Grrrr....

Add another one to the list! Sigh. NO OAR = NO SALE

------------------

DAVE/Memphis

Widescreen is Family Fun!
Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?