-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Subwoofer Cable Hookup Question!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 10:42 AM

I have two apline subs i took out of my old car.
Is there anyway to hook them up to my surround sub channel?
My amp has a RCA sub input not speaker wire.
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#2 of 13 TanT

TanT

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 10:54 AM

There is something calls line output converter that will take the speaker outputs and convert them to line (RCA). You should be able to find this converter at any mobile sound dealer.

#3 of 13 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:30 PM

Justin,

You didn’t give us much to go on here. Are the Alpines raw drivers, or in a box? I’ve never heard of a “surround sub channel” or an amp with a “sub input.” Where does this amp fit into the scheme of things?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 13 TanT

TanT

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 04:12 PM

I think Justin is trying to add the 2 spare subs to his surround speakers. He's powering them with the spare car amp that he pulled along with the subs.

If that's the case then I have a question for you Justin: how are you planning to power that amp of your? You are going to need a very powerful power supply to feed that amp of your Posted Image

#5 of 13 JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 11:50 PM

I have two car subs in a box. My surroundsound reciver has a rca input for the sub, not speaker wire. The subs have speaker wire.

I want to hook the subs up to my reciver's sub output.
I was hoping that the reciver will power them just enoguh to get a good bass. If I can figure out how to covert a speaker wire into a rca wire it will work.

I am going to try the line output converter.

Justin
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#6 of 13 Ed O'Neill

Ed O'Neill

Second Unit

• 333 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 12:05 AM

Justin wrote,
Quote:
I want to hook the subs up to my reciver's sub output.I was hoping that the reciver will power them just enoguh to get a good bass. If I can figure out how to covert a speaker wire into a rca wire it will work.

Justin the sub out is for powered subs only. You can use any old external amp that you may have laying around, or go to a flea market and pick up one for short money and this should solve your problem. If you have an old car amp as well you can use that with a power converter from radio shack around $50 but I'd look for an old reciever/amp for the same price.

Signed
Ed

#7 of 13 JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 02:20 AM

I tried the line output converter and it didnt work, which would be true since it isnt a powered sub, yet. I will try the radio shack power converter.
The line doubler cost me $21 no refundPosted Image
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#8 of 13 JustinGrimball

JustinGrimball

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 02:59 AM

Radio Shack said they dont carry that??
Anymore ideas?
-Grimball-
Check out the Cineplex

#9 of 13 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 04:37 AM

You will need an amplifier of some sort to power the subs. Go to a pawn shop and get an old stereo receiver or integrated amp.
Make sure you get a return policy, though. Most car subs sound like crap in home theater applications, so there’s a big chance you won’t be happy with what you hear.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#10 of 13 Dave Milne

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor

• 569 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 04:59 AM

Quote:
I will try the radio shack power converter.
Quote:
Radio Shack said they dont carry that??

You would need a power converter, aka 12V power supply if you wanted to use a car amp in the house. Since you haven't mentioned that you have a car amp lying around, I wouldn't bother with this idea. Furthermore, the Radio Shack power supplies wouldn't have enough output current for anything but the tiniest car amp.

Go with Wayne's suggestion and find a cheap used home amp or receiver to power the sub(s).

#11 of 13 John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,526 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted November 06 2003 - 05:03 AM

Cheap amp/receiver is not the ideal way to go. The subs are almost certainly 4 Ohm, which is common in car audio, and most "cheap" receivers will be rated for 8 Ohm operation. Depending on the subs, they may overload an inexpensive receiver.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein

#12 of 13 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 03:28 PM

That’s why I suggested an old stereo receiver or integrated amp. They can usually deal with 4-ohm loads.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List

#13 of 13 rayt85296

rayt85296

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 10 2013 - 11:56 AM

I have a NAD T757 and a Polk Audio DSW Pro660 wi. I also have Audioquest Evergreen sub cables and Y adapter with 2 females and 1 male as well as Y adapter with 2 males and one female. Should I use both sub cables and then the Y with two females at the receiver?...or one sub cable with the Y adapter at the sub? I'm confused. Seems like there should be 2 Subw outs at receiver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow