Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Your 10 favourite Japanese films?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   john davies

john davies

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 07:56 AM

1.Sansho the Bailiff (Mizoguchi) 2.Maborosi (Kore-eda) 3.Seven Samurai (Kurosawa) 4.Story of the Late Chrysanthemums (Mizoguchi) 5.Tales of the Taira Clan (Mizoguchi) 6.Late Spring (Ozu) 7.Tokyo Story (Ozu) 8.Ugetsu Monogatari (Mizoguchi) 9.Hidden Fortress (Kurosawa) 10.The Loyal 47 Ronin (Mizoguchi) also; The Life of Oharu (Mizoguchi), Kwaidan (Kobayashi), Ai No Corrida (Oshima), Miss Oyu (Mizoguchi), My Neighbour Totoro (Miyazaki), The Human Condition (Kobayashi), Early Spring (Ozu), Spirited Away (Miyazaki), Eureka (Aoyama)..

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 08:35 AM

Ikiru (Kurosawa) Tokyo Story (Ozu) Ugetsu (Mizoguchi) Ran (Kurosawa) Woman In The Dunes (Teshigahara) A Scene At The Sea (Kitano) Grave Of The Fireflies (Takahata) Manji (Masumura) My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki) Cure (Kiyoshi Kurosawa) Limited myself to two Kurosawa's, otherwise would probably have Rashomon, Red Beard, and/or Madadayo on here as well.
2002 Sight & Sound Challenge: 321  Last Watched: L'enfance Nue
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   john davies

john davies

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 08:44 AM

You're obviously well up on the subject. I've not yet seen The Cure, though i've heard good things and know nothing of Manji. Can you say something about it? Red Beard (underrated) and Rashomon (essential) just missed my list, by the way.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Angelo.M

Angelo.M

Producer

• 4,007 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 12:59 AM

seven samurai rashomon ikiru tokyo story yojimbo sanjuro the hidden fortress ran samurai triology tokyo drifter

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,794 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 01:24 AM

Seven Samurai Ran Roshomon Akira Samurai III Duel at Ganryu Island Yojimbo Godzilla The Street Fighter Tokyo Story Grave Of The Fireflies

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 02:36 AM

As always, unordered: 1.Woman of the Dunes 2.Seven Samurai 3.Ikiru 4.I Was Born, but… 5.Spirited Away 6.My Neighbor Totoro 7.Ugetsu 8.Tokyo Drifter 9.Tokyo Story 10.Ran
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 02:55 AM

I really haven't seen nearly as many as I'd like to, but here's my top 10 anyway (rather embarassingly heavy on Kurosawa): Princess Mononoke Kwaidan Chushingura Sansho the Bailiff Seven Samurai Red Beard Ikiru Sanjuro Rashomon Madadayo honorable mention (not exactly a Japanese film): Mishima Really hoping to add more Ozu and Mizoguchi soon, so far I've only seen Ohayo and Sansho.

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 04:27 AM

Me too Martin, I've only seen Tokyo Story, Good Morning, The 47 Ronin, and Ugetsu. John, the best equation/summary I can make for Manji, is it is similar in story/theme to In The Realm of the Senses, but more skillfully made and restrained, but lacking the heat and singular forward momentum of ITR. It is about a husband and wife who find something lacking in their lives and relationship, and turn to a 3rd party with results that are shocking, moving, and even sad. Directed by the highly underrated and underknown director Yasuzo Masumura, it was released on DVD by Fantoma along with 3 more of his films, all of which I'd recommend - Blind Beast (a freak show of sexual subjugation and loneliness with "have to see it to believe it" set design), Afraid To Die (starring Yukio Mishima as a Yakuza who has the unfortunate weakness of being "afraid to die" and also featuring Takashi Shimura in a complete turn from the kindly mentor types he played in Kurosawa movies) and Giants And Toys (a satirical comedy about big business in Japanese society).
Last 8 Films Watched: In the Loop - A- / It Might Get Loud - B+ / What Just Happened? - B / Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs - C- / Drums Along the Mohawk - A- / Punisher War Zone - B+ / Moon - C+ / A Man For All Seasons - B+

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   john davies

john davies

Stunt Coordinator

• 122 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 05:35 AM

Thanks a lot for that, Brook. Yes, i've now found it in Donald Richie's book "A Hundred Years of Japanese Cinema". Strange i should have forgotten about it, as there's a striking shot of 2 (apparently topless) women in a clinch. Masumura's "fast-moving" style, at least when he arrived on the scene, is contrasted with Ozu and Mizoguchi, and appealed to a younger generation at the time, including Oshima, it says. Manji sounds from your description more restrained than some of his other films. Richie says Masumura's films "critical of Japan's military past" eg The Nakano Army School, The Hoodlum Soldier, "particularly interesting". I'll have to look out for his films. I don't think they're available in the UK though.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Brook K

Brook K

Lead Actor

• 9,468 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 05:48 AM

I'll have to pick up Richie's book. I haven't seen those Masumura films that are "critical of the Japanese military". I've only seen the 4 that are on DVD and that I described. The most critical of the military film that I've seen from Japan is Mizoguchi's Ugetsu.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,090 posts

Posted November 06 2003 - 12:03 PM

Favorites?

Seven Samurai
Yojimbo
Gojira (1954)
Akira
Throne of Blood
Zatoichi and the Chess Expert
Lone Wolf and Cub Sword of Vengeance
Ran
Sword of Blood
Samurai Trilogy

and another 10

The Hidden Fortress
Zatoichi and the Chest of Gold
Harakiri
Princess Mononoke
Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx
Onibaba
Sanjuro
Samurai Assassin
Barefoot Gen
Samurai Rebellion

Death before Streaming!

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Arman

Arman

Screenwriter

• 1,625 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 08:50 AM

Unordered: Battle Royale (Fukasaku) Grave Of The Fireflies (Takahata) Spirited Away (Miyazaki) Tokyo Story (Ozu) Rashomon (Kurosawa) Seven Samurai (Kurosawa) My Neighbor Totoro (Miyazaki) Madadayo (Kurosawa) Kwaidan (Kobayashi) Akira (Otomo) & Princess Mononoke (Miyazaki) Special honorable Mention: Floating Weeds (Ozu) The Hidden Fortress, Sanjuro, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Ran (Kurosawa)

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Justin_S

Justin_S

Producer

• 3,576 posts

Posted January 11 2004 - 11:00 AM

Kairo
Uzumaki
Onibaba
Ju-on
Audition
Cure
Battle Royale