What's new

Little House on the Prairie - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I couldn't afford this today. Do the opening titles precede every episode, like Goldhil said they would suggested they might?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to let you know tonight, unless someone beats me to it. I'm returning the copy I bought at Borders for $42.49 (discounted price using 15%-off Borders coupon posted by Andrea in the 11/4 Weekly Roundup thread), and buying it at Costco for $32.99 instead. $10 savings; can't beat that! :)

ScottRichard

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
Hi Greg--I only watched the first two episodes so far but they both included the opening titles and a scene index. I'm assuming all of the episodes are like this since the previous sets only had the opening titles for the first episode of each disc.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Scott! I'm really impressed with this company. They left the credits off the first two because they thought people would prefer the play all feature, but a mail from someone here on the HTF showed them the credits were necessary. Looks like they made good on correcting the issue for following seasons, and they even offered to send him a disc with all the openings of the seasons 1 and 2 episodes, I believe. If future pressings of the first seasons add the credits, I'll either find a way to trade my discs in, or double dip. I wouldn't mind helping a small company out by buying again.

That's a great savings, David. I assume Costco requires a membership, so I'll probably go to Circuit City this time (believe the round-up said they would have it for $39.99). Still, it sounds like a worthwile investment for the long run.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Note that I didn't find this at Circuit City.

Costco had it buried behind some LHotP S1's and S2's (all for $32.99). But I got it.

I haven't opened it yet, but it looks like the question is answered (and I like the answer!).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
I was surprised to see this at Target yesterday. I believe it was $34.99 -- not bad at all. I'm so glad they include all the opening credits on this one.

Are future pressings of seasons 1 and 2 set to include the opening credits?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
They haven't said that was the case, but you never know. You might try e-mailing them. They seemed open to comments before.

I'll have to try Target tomorrow. $34.99 is a great price.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Thanks, Dane! Target had them at just that price, so I have my copy now. I was surprised and heartened to see an equal distribution of full screen and wide screen Indy boxsets while I was there. Maybe I need to keep Target in mind in the future!

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Target's slowly leaping into the 21st century in the DVD box set department in terms of what they're carrying. I bought Friends from there -- the $29.99 price was the best in town, even lower than Wal Mart's.

Back on topic, does Mary (isn't that the blonde sister's name?) go blind in season 3 or is it later?

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
does Mary (isn't that the blonde sister's name?) go blind in season 3 or is it later?
It was in the 4th season finale, "I'll Be Waving As You Drive Away".

Edit: This two-part episode was released on a single release in July, and will be on the 4th season release.

Chris

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
So I read that "Little House..." is in development by ABC for a new mini-series to be aired as part of "The Wonderful World of Disney". If it scores well in the ratings, a new series based on the books -- supposedly in a manner more closely following them than that of the original series (which was basically a vehicle for Landon) -- will be set in motion.

I hope the new mini-series is good, and I'm really happy that Goldhil found itself a property that stands a good chance of getting a solid boost from a revival. Nice to see the little guys doing well. I can only hope that other smaller companies like this acquire some good TV properties because they make the most of what they have.

In other words, please, Fox ... sell The Mary Tyler Moore Show to Goldhil for chicken scratch. :D

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
...than that of the original series (which was basically a vehicle for Landon)...
Actually, Landon was Exec Producer and Director of the original telefilm, and only became "Pa" when the actor hired to play the part failed to show up. He stepped in to save his production.

And the rest is history...

P.S. - Goldhil doesn't produce the new DVDs, they only distribute them in the USA for Canadian manufacturer ImaVision (who distribute these themselves north of the border).

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Actually, Landon was Exec Producer and Director of the original telefilm, and only became "Pa" when the actor hired to play the part failed to show up. He stepped in to save his production.
True. However, I didn't say it was conceived as a vehicle for Landon, but that's what it became. He eventually even took on writing duties for the show. It's hard not to involve yourself when you are the show star, producer, director, executive producer, and member of the writing staff.

When it was all said and done, the focus of the series seemed to be mainly on Charles while the original memoirs by Laura Ingalls Wilder mainly dealt with her own adventures rather than those of her father's. The new mini-series/possible series is said to correct this.

None of this is to say that the old series was bad. It was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks