What's new

The Greater Cleveland (Ohio) Area Meet Thread V.1 (1 Viewer)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Hello,

Eveyone who's interested in a Cleveland get-together to hang out and BS about our favorite hobby, you're more than welcome to chime in on this thread!

Place: George's house
Date: November 22, 2003.
Time: Around 4:00 pm until whenever

My first two meets have been with the Greater Cincinnatti group and were a blast. We watched tons of movie clips, listened to some music, compared different subs, witnessed the difference between a DVD player with the Chroma bug and one without, talked to an ISF calibrationist, and made new friends.

Now that there are a couple of Clevelanders interested, we've been kicked out (just kidding, Alan!):D I mean, we're going to start our own thread to see if other Clevelanders are interested in joining us.

Activities will include watching movie and music demos and possibly watching an entire movie. Not to mention eating, drinking, BS-ing about everything Home Theater, and whatever else we all come up with to do!

Feel free to bring whatever demo material you'd like, any equipment you'd like, or even items you might have for sale. If any of the demo material is SACD, you must bring a player as I only have DVD-Audio at this time. (And I really don't have any DVD-Audio material either. I don't know what to buy.) I have an X-Box for gaming, so any other system will have to be brought as well.

My theater consists of:

Infocus X1
92" Vutec Silver Star
Denon DVD-1600
Yamaha R-V1105 Receiver
B & K Reference 200.2
2 - Martin Logan Aeon i's
JBL S-Center
2 - ahem, KLH rear channel speakers. (Probably the next upgrade, but for movies, they do a decent temporary job.)
SVS 20-39 PC+
4 - Aura Bass Shakers
Fisher used amp for Bass Shakers
Samsung 151 HDTV tuner (still struggling to get a good signal, suggestions would be great here)
X-Box

I'll be posting pictures soon.

So chime on in if interested. Everyone is welcome, you don't just have to be in the Cleveland area.

Later for now,
George

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
If it wasn't for me, George and Ferdinand would still be roaming around Cleveland and passing each other on the street not realizing how many things in common they had!!

We met George thru an e-mail he sent me asking about the Cincy Meet. I introduced Ferdinand to the group after meeting him in Akron and buying some speakers from him.

I hope you find more HTF members up there!!

AND I STILL PLAN TO MAKE IT TO CLEVELAND SO I CAN SLEEP DURING ONE OF YOURALLS MEETS!!

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
We got kicked out, :frowning: just kidding! :D Well Alan had the right idea and I can relate. Us Clevelanders do live kind of far from the rest of the gang. I think if we had a Cleveland group we could relate to each other more and be able to do and participate in more events. So far we're three strong. I'm going to have to try to get some recruits. :emoji_thumbsup:

Well I talked to a friend at work today and she has this $500 digicam! She loves taking pictures and I told her how I wanted to take pictures of my HT and get them online. She said she would do it for me, so hopefully in a few days I'll have new pictures. Just need to plan when. Unless George you happen to beat her to it. :p)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Well while I'm here I mention a few things about myself for those who my be interested in joining our club per say.

I stumbled upon this site a little over a year now and I've learned so much since than. I mainly just researched what I wanted to know by searching so there was never really a need to post. I never really got to know anyone on here because of this until about two months ago while I was making a sale with Alan. Alan than introduced me to the Greater Cincinnatti gang and this is how George and I met. Amazing part about it is that George and I live about a block away and never knew it until Alan introduced us! Now we have Mike from Strongsville who we met in the same thread.

Now onto the boring stuff.

Let's see I live off of a 140th here in Cleveland and I've pretty much lived at this current home all my life. I'm one of the young one's on the board only 22 years old. I am a store manager for Gamestop selling videogames, been there for a little over 4 years now. Nothing crazy but I enjoy it. I've been into home theater I'd say for about 5 years and this is my main hobby and everything that goes with it.

The current HT I have now is my fourth setup. For those who are interested as to what I'm running click the little house icon above my post and it'll take you to my page I threw together. I don't have current pictures right now since I don't have a camera, but I'm in the process. My setup definitely didn't happen over night as most don't. Started just like everyone learning and upgrading piece by piece. I'm still not done yet with this setup. Electronics are my hobby so this means I don't go out all that much because I'm playing with my toys. Or at a friends playing with his. I know what your thinking but by toys I mean non-sexual electronics. :)

I'm not one of those go out to the club partying kind of guy. Just like to take it easy. My side hobby when I have some spare cash is collecting action figures mainly from McFarlane. Silly but its just something that grew on me. Buy a few and then you get the bug. Well I think I'll shut the hell up now. Just read this again when you want to fall asleep. Almost put me to sleeping typing it. ;)

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I might get the cam today, but more likely Thursday. We'll see, but if you have a chance for some girl to hang out and take some pictures, well.....:D

Looks like I will be free on Saturdays and Sundays, the only OT I'll be getting shouldn't interfere with having a meet.

So Ferdiand and Mike, what weekend are you free? If some new people join in we can work with their schedules as well.

Ok, gotta check my Fedex. tracking number...
George

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
So Ferdiand and Mike, what weekend are you free
the only day that i am really not free is on the 15th, but any other day should do fine. i am thinking maybe 21st or 22nd

don't feel too young ferdinand, i just turned 24...

where do you guys propose we meet?

M of S

oh yeah, Matrix baby....today after work i am going with the girlfriend:) :)

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
George,

Cool hope you get it soon.

Going to see if after work today also. I get off at 5 and heading straight up to the theater with a few friends. Can't wait!

Weekends are usually busy for me but if we do it in advance I can get a weekend off.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
The 22nd is fine for me! Work usually dictates my life, unfortunately. However, if this date is picked then I can refuse the OT. I can't do Friday because I don't know if I'll still be on nights then or not.

I am not looking forward to the Matrix anymore. My expectations were too high for Reloaded and I hated it at the time it was released, although I have grown to like it now that I have the DVD. So if I keep low key on this one, I think I may end up liking it the first time around.

As for the camera, supposedly there was an attempt at a delivery today. Funny, I've been home the whole time since I work nights. This is two times in two weeks where something has been delivered by Fedex to my house and the second time the driver didn't try too hard to get my attention. The first time, though, he just left the package on my back porch in the rain. Luckily, my nice new (for me) amp wasn't ruined. Now, I have to go pick up my camera myself instead of being able to play with it already! The thing that really bothers me is that my dogs go nuts when the doorbell rings or if someone knocks on the door. Well, nothing happened. This is why I normally like to use UPS if I can help it.

Ferdinand, is the 22nd good? If so, we can pick a place.

See you guys soon,
George

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
Shouldn't be a problem. I'll talk to the boss and see if its ok to request that day off. I've worked every Saturday since I've gotten promoted for over a year now and I've only taken 3 Saturdays off. Two due to emergencies. We'll set this date in stone than. I'll let you know for sure Friday as he's comming to do a store visit.

By the way I loved Matrix Revolution, had a blast! I'm a dork we got there about two hours early just to be first in line and it worked.

I've been researching TV's the past few days and I really want a Samsung DLP TV as my number one TV but there asking price is pretty steep. $3500 for a 43" model, a 50" model for $4000. I'm also interested in the 34" Sony XBR910 model $2500 also pretty steep. I'm really trying to force myself into a TV budget of around $2000 but all the TV's I want are above this mark. If I save for the 43" Samsung I'd be looking around late April early May until I can finally afford to purchase one. I really don't know if I want to wait 6 months to get a new TV. What to do.

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ok, how about we meet at my house this time? Any objections? We've got a date, what time is good for everyone?

Ferdinand,

Is the GTA 2-pack out for X-box yet?

George

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
whenever, i am thinking late afternoon or early evening? or sometime between 4pm and 7pm
So, does this mean you are only available for three hours that day? Not a lot of demo or movie time. Heck, I was at Mike RPs place until midnight for the first meet and I got out of LaMarcus' place close to 1am!

Bring whatever it is you want to see and hear. Maybe a winning lottery ticket or two.:D

Geo

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ferdinand,

While you were away we decided that 4:00 on the 22nd will be the approx. start-up time. I hope that's good for you.

Oh, and I've got the camera now. Free anytime this weekend?

If you guys didn't notice, I edited the opening post with the updated info just incase we get some other Clevelanders interested in joining us. I also PM'd a few guys listed in the members area as LaMarcus suggested to me.

Ok, it's almost 11am and I have to go to bed. (Can you tell I love third shift:angry: .)
George

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Hello fellow HT addicts! Thanks for dropping me a line and letting me know about huge loud sounds and great big pictures in my own neighborhood!

Time to bore myself (and maybe you as well) with just a little bio…

I’m a 1972 graduate of John Marshall High (I’ll assume you know the school).
Wife, 2 kids in college, house with a white picket fence and a mortgage.

As a mid-life crisis relief, I told the wife I could either buy a little red rag-top spots car and cruise the neighborhood or buy a home theater set-up…she opted for the HT (always give ‘um a choice)!

If you’d like to get a view of how my system looked at the beginning of the year (and almost everything else about how I built my HT) you can check out www.tcampbellav.com

The site belongs to my AV consultant and friend, Tim (Tim ALSO lives in the neighborhood!).

I’d love to come by on the 22nd (around 4ish?). Should I invite Tim? I’ll need to get an actual location (send me another personal message if you like).

Ferdinand*T

Second Unit
WillieM,

Nice for you to come on in! My name is Ferdinand and its nice to meet you. I don't think Tim comming shouldn't be a problem. The more the better since we want to get a nice sized Cleveland group going. Its not my place so Goerge will say for sure but I don't think he'd mind.

I was looking thru the site and I see that Tim is ISF certified. ;) He will be hearing from me once I get my new TV. :emoji_thumbsup: Also which theater is yours?

The time and date shouldn't be a problem even if I have to work. I'll do an open till 3:30 and than head straight to your house. This might actually work out better for me since I can then take Sunday off and sleep in.

Goerge,

Glad you got the camera, when should we expect pictures of your setup? I'm free on Sunday evening around 7 is this ok with you? Unless you want to do come over Saturday morning anytime before noon, I got to be at work at 1:00.

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
Ferdinand,

On the front homepage of the site, click where it says...

NEW! Click here to see the photos and story of a do-it-yourself home theater that A-V Services helped to create! The homeowner spent less than $10,000 for a room that will provide him and his family many years of enjoyment!

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread