Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut DVD - Coming Soon!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 02:07 PM

I scanned through a few of the other Donnie Darko threads and I think I'm the first one to bring this up. Here goes:

RICHARD KELLY INTERVIEW:

Will the Director’s Cut of "Donnie Darko" generate more questions, or explain things to a greater degree?
I think it’s going to be a pretty substantially new version of the film. I mean, I think it’s certainly going to clarify a lot of things for the audience but it’s also going to, I hope, expand the meaning of the film, not only in terms of answers, but also in terms of new questions.

New questions? Just what you need…
There are always questions (laughing). I think the film is designed that way to provoke an audience to think. There’s no way for it to exist in any other way. I think that the “Director’s Cut” will provide a lot of answers and also create some new questions (laughing).

Do you think some of the questions will be answered in such a way that hardcore “Donnie Darko” fans will get upset their interpretations are different than yours?
Ultimately, it’s called the “Director’s Cut” so it’s going to be delving into more of my interpretation of the film. I think that this is all based upon what was originally intended and the kind of material that I was forced to delete from the film when initially the film was first going to be distributed. People weren’t sure if the film was ever going to connect with the audience. The consensus was that the film was not going to connect with an audience, it was going to be very inaccessible, and the best thing to do was to remove as much material as possible to try and make the film as tight and quick as possible.

I feel some of the meaning was compromised. I hope, with this new edition, that I finally get my ideal version of the film out there – and just hope for the best. If people dislike it for whatever reason, or don’t like what I’ve done, there’s always the other version they can watch. I’m just glad for the opportunity to be able to do this, really

The full (and rather lengthy) interview with Richard Kelly can be read at About.com

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 06:31 PM

I don't see anything about Kelly confirming that a DVD of this will be coming at all, no less "soon." He only mentions preliminary negotiations about a theatrical release. This seems a bit premature to be in the Software Forum just yet.

DJ

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg

Lead Actor

• 7,482 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 06:46 PM

My mistake. I misread some of it and just assumed it would be a DVD-only re-release.

If anyone feels this thread should switch over to the Movies Forum, I wouldn't disagree.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   John Berggren

John Berggren

Producer

• 3,245 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:08 AM

I'd love to see a re-release. I wonder when or if it'll happen.
Support the fight against Multiple Sclerosis as I ride in the 2007 MS 150 in New Bern this September.

Be a Widescreen Advocate

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Vincent_P

Vincent_P

Screenwriter

• 1,761 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 04:52 AM

Theatrical RE-release? Isn't DONNIE DARKO still playing midnight shows in New York City? :-)

I really love this film. Listening to Kelly's commentary during the deleted scenes on the DVD, it's obvious that a lot of the cuts were NOT done by him to "better the film", but were forced on him by a contractually-bound running time agreement with the distributor (a wonderful scene between Donnie and his dad comes to mind as a scene that never should've been cut). While 20-years-later-"Hey-lets-add-stuff-that-we-cut-for-good-reason-just-to-make-another-buck" so-called "director's cuts" tend to annoy me (cough*cough*theexorcist*cough), I'm all for letting Kelly expand his wonderful debut film to match his original intentions.

Vincent

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell

Producer

• 3,761 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 05:05 AM

Quote:
Theatrical RE-release? Isn't DONNIE DARKO still playing midnight shows in New York City? :-)

Yup. It's in its 23rd month. In fact, I skipped out on it on Halloween night after having seen Maniac and King of the Ants as part of the theatre's movie marathon. Although I love the film and it does have a Halloween theme, I wasn't in the mood to see it yet again.

Anyway, given the size of the original theatrical run it had (and I was responsible for $10 of the $110,494 opening weekend gross), it's unclear to me that the film ever really had a first theatrical release... Posted Image

DJ

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Steve_Knutzen

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter

• 1,317 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:50 PM

Definitely one of the best movies to come out in the past five years. I'd love to see Kelly's original vision on DVD or in the theater.
Thanks for the link Scott.
"Oh I can hold my breath for a long, long time!"

http://www.dvdprofil....s=TromaFiend02

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 08:18 PM

So is this just the deleted scenes from the existing
DVD added to the movie? I don't remember those scenes answering that many questions.

--Randy S.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   Michael Alex

Michael Alex

Extra

• 24 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 04:12 AM

10/4 is apparently the UK release date for the director's cut. For details, check dvdtimes.co.uk.
"It's not that I don't want to be understood, but I can't, like Spielberg, say, make a film for the general public — I'd be mortified if I discovered I could. If you want to reach a general audience, you have to make films like Star Wars and Superman which have nothing to do with art."
Andre....