What's new

Donnie Darko: Director's Cut DVD - Coming Soon! (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I scanned through a few of the other Donnie Darko threads and I think I'm the first one to bring this up. Here goes:

The full (and rather lengthy) interview with Richard Kelly can be read at About.com

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I don't see anything about Kelly confirming that a DVD of this will be coming at all, no less "soon." He only mentions preliminary negotiations about a theatrical release. This seems a bit premature to be in the Software Forum just yet.

DJ

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
My mistake. I misread some of it and just assumed it would be a DVD-only re-release.

If anyone feels this thread should switch over to the Movies Forum, I wouldn't disagree.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Theatrical RE-release? Isn't DONNIE DARKO still playing midnight shows in New York City? :)

I really love this film. Listening to Kelly's commentary during the deleted scenes on the DVD, it's obvious that a lot of the cuts were NOT done by him to "better the film", but were forced on him by a contractually-bound running time agreement with the distributor (a wonderful scene between Donnie and his dad comes to mind as a scene that never should've been cut). While 20-years-later-"Hey-lets-add-stuff-that-we-cut-for-good-reason-just-to-make-another-buck" so-called "director's cuts" tend to annoy me (cough*cough*theexorcist*cough), I'm all for letting Kelly expand his wonderful debut film to match his original intentions.

Vincent

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Theatrical RE-release? Isn't DONNIE DARKO still playing midnight shows in New York City? :)
Yup. It's in its 23rd month. In fact, I skipped out on it on Halloween night after having seen Maniac and King of the Ants as part of the theatre's movie marathon. Although I love the film and it does have a Halloween theme, I wasn't in the mood to see it yet again.

Anyway, given the size of the original theatrical run it had (and I was responsible for $10 of the $110,494 opening weekend gross), it's unclear to me that the film ever really had a first theatrical release... ;)

DJ

Steve_Knutzen

Screenwriter
Definitely one of the best movies to come out in the past five years. I'd love to see Kelly's original vision on DVD or in the theater.
Thanks for the link Scott.

Randy Schissler

Stunt Coordinator
So is this just the deleted scenes from the existing
DVD added to the movie? I don't remember those scenes answering that many questions.

--Randy S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks