What's new

Enterprise Season 3, worth it? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I enjoyed Season 2, but havn't been watching Season 3 due to Smallville Competition. Is it worth it to wait for repeats, or don't bother?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
It's Enterprise - pretty good one week, pretty not-good the next. There's an occasional nifty idea, but they're few and far between.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Worth it. Much better than season two. This season, each episode is adding to a season-long story. It's not exactly "24" in terms of needing to watch every week, but if you do, you will be rewarded. Better action, and much improved cinematography, even for the effects shots of the ship moving through space. Much improved.

Some complaints that it has even less of the Next Gen spirit than the war-mongering DS9, but if you don't mind that this is kind of like a Republican version of Star Trek, it is pretty good.

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry, this goes a bit off-topic but you said something about season 2 I don't agree...

We are watching season 2 on the moment (last episode we saw was Stigma) and it's been quite honestly awful! I liked season 1 a lot and even the first four episodes of season 2 were pretty good (and Minefield/Dead Stop were excellent!), but rest of season 2 have been almost unwatchable. Mediocre shows with poor storytelling which have already been seen in every Trek series before it. I'm truly disappointed. I like the premise and characters are fine (except for Travis) - but there's no ambition in the writing in the mid season 2.

Well, I hope that's gonna change - it's Future's End tonight.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'd say that season three has been a fairly signifigant improvement. If you liked season 2, even slightly, I think you'll like 3. :)

Your milage may vary, of course. ;)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Theres an article in this weeks TV guide (the one with O.C on it) that asks the question, are the series that have been retooled, like Enterprise, any better and the answer for this one (others were Frazier and The Practice) was a bit better but it was too little too late and audiences arent buying it. They say it will be lucky if it makes it longer than the original Treks 3 year mission.

I gave it a try again and I dont see any vast improvement but I am spoiled now after watching Season 1-3 of B5 over the summer for the first time.
Enterprise doesnt get close to that quality of characters and stories.

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator
In my opinion,it has not improved. Last week was better, but I am not willing to bet that it continues.

Also, as a reply upthread... I'll put up a "Warmongering DS9" against Enterprise, TNG or V'Ger anyday. The quality of the writting is light years ahead of any of the other Treks.

BobV

Second Unit
I dislike it when people assume to talk for others... but that aside :) ...

Myself, I find this season so far has been excellent, and this weeks episode looks to be another good one again.

That's my opinion.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Who cares about the ratings? Just release them straight to DVD, forget the UPN.

Stupid to put the show up against the comic book show though, they should move it so they're not at the same time, given that there's some crossover audience. The geek factor.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Some complaints that it has even less of the Next Gen spirit than the war-mongering DS9, but if you don't mind that this is kind of like a Republican version of Star Trek, it is pretty good.
I take exception to that war-mongering comment. With very few (and small) exceptions, DS9 was the ONLY Trek that allowed for consequences from one week's decisions. Dukat fell into bed with the Dominion--Cardassia gets destroyed. Sisko is the Emissary--he becomes a prophet/god at the end of the series.

Enterprise, for the first two years, had very few continuing storylines and those they had, no one could sustain. Why not an overall arc-based show now, to see if that works?

So far, with one or two exceptions, I've been mildly impressed. They're keeping continuity in check, Archer learns something new each week about the Xindi and there's a sense of purpose.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Jason_V,

You may want to consider putting your DS9 comments in spoiler tags, since you basically give away the finale, and other plot-points that haven't been seen on the DVD releases, yet.

While I agree with your point, there are people out there who are seeing DS9 for the first time on DVD.

-Scott

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
As others have said, this season is an improvement, but I can't help thinking that it is only because they couldn't make their original concept work, so they changed it. They did the same thing with Voyager, completely throwing out the Maquis plot thread and basically tried to remake it as NG lost in space. (With rather bland characters.)

While I think the execution of the current plot is pretty decent, it doesn't really fit in with what the concept of this show is supposed to be, which is the early days of the Federation. If this wasn't a Trek show, and the first season, I'd say the show was promising.

Jason

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Who cares about the ratings?
I've not always been a fan of ratings but the show is in last place in it's time slot which says something.
They have given it three years to gel and it's not.
The only thing left is a Big ratings stunt, ie :Kirk or something or an all nude episode which considering the people in charge of the show, wouldnt be all that surprised.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
The only thing left is a Big ratings stunt
Or they could start releasing the season one box set on DVD right away, since that seems to be how many people are preferring to learn about "new" shows (new to them, that is).

I know, Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits already made this suggestion, but it was such a sensible one I've repeated it.

The ratings for Enterprise could be improved by moving the show to 9pm, the time when people expect dramas to be on. 8pm is the time for sitcoms.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I think the people who like Trek watch it when it is on TV. Trek has been milked and milked and milked. Even Die hards like myself have gotten tired of the mediocre storytelling. Sure if they had brought new writers in and it was challenging us and it just happened to get away from people than I would be the first one on here suggesting Paramount to release it but the show wasnt doing good even before they moved it opposite Smallville hense the reimagining of it.
Even The Big Motion Pictures havent been doing well.

Paul Fernandez

Auditioning
What I've always wanted is a Star Trek series that shows only the Klingons and their home world with very little interaction with the milly mouth humans. And, the characters would not devolve down to human compasion and sensibilities. They would maintain their sense of warrior race.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member

3x01 - "The Xindi"
It's been six weeks since Enterprise entered the Delphic Expanse with a complement of MACO space marines in tow, and it's no closer to finding the Xindi weapon Archer was warned about. Reed expresses concerns that they're being too reckless on the basis of a lead from a freighter captain of questionable character. Archer shuts him down immediately declaring that due to their lack of progress they can't worry about being safe or cautious any more.

Which more or less immediately backfires as Archer and Trip are robbed of platinum and enslaved by the creepy administrator of a mining colony. They embark on an escape attempt with the Xindi miner they came to interrogate. The attempt ends badly, but they learn that the Xindi society has five sentient species that share a common distant genetic ancestor. Later, before he dies of a wound he suffered during the MACO-assisted actual escape, the miner shares the coordinates of the Xindi homeworld as agreed. But when the arrive, it's an asteroid field; the entire planet was Death Star-ed decades prior. The crew aboard Enterprise knows a little more about their enemy, but is no closer to finding the weapon.

It was interesting to see Rick Worthy pop up as one of the warmblooded representatives on the Xindi governing council. I loved him on "The Magicians" and hope he gets meatier material in future episodes.

3x02 - "Anomaly"

This episode further establishes that the Delphic Expanse is a dangerous and unpredictable neighborhood, with both fearsome pirates and physics-bending distortions to deal with.

I don't love this "new" Archer, threatening to flush people out of airlocks unless they do what he says. Avery Brooks gave Sisko an edge that made him believable when he skirted the line in service of his dual obligations as Starfleet officer and Emissary to the Prophets. Scott Bakula doesn't have that same kind of an edge, and so when Archer bullies and threatens to get his way it just doesn't play for me.

Crewman Fuller dies during the episode, and numerous others suffer significant injuries. It's a good course correction in my book; the first two seasons were implausibly devoid of crew fatalities, when you would think the first ship to explore would suffer more casualties than those that would follow, not less.

I liked the reveal that the trellium-D being mined in the previous episode provides insulation from the effects of the anomalies in the Delphic Expanse. I'm not a huge fan of the militaristic overhaul the show's gotten this season, but one of the upsides is that they're venturing into an area that the Vulcans have feared to visit. Rather than catching up to what the Vulcans already know, they're making genuine discoveries for Earth and its allies. And, being isolated as they are on their mission, they have to adapt in ways similar to how Voyager had to adapt in the Delta Quadrant.

And Sato getting the Xindi database means they actually have some forward momentum in their mission.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks