-

Photo
- - - - -

Enterprise Season 3, worth it?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 OFFLINE   DeathStar1

DeathStar1

Producer

• 3,291 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 01:34 PM

I enjoyed Season 2, but havn't been watching Season 3 due to Smallville Competition. Is it worth it to wait for repeats, or don't bother?

#2 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 01:39 PM

It's Enterprise - pretty good one week, pretty not-good the next. There's an occasional nifty idea, but they're few and far between.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#3 of 19 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 04:57 PM

Worth it. Much better than season two. This season, each episode is adding to a season-long story. It's not exactly "24" in terms of needing to watch every week, but if you do, you will be rewarded. Better action, and much improved cinematography, even for the effects shots of the ship moving through space. Much improved.

Some complaints that it has even less of the Next Gen spirit than the war-mongering DS9, but if you don't mind that this is kind of like a Republican version of Star Trek, it is pretty good.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#4 of 19 OFFLINE   Nicodemus

Nicodemus

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted November 03 2003 - 07:12 PM

Sorry, this goes a bit off-topic but you said something about season 2 I don't agree...

We are watching season 2 on the moment (last episode we saw was Stigma) and it's been quite honestly awful! I liked season 1 a lot and even the first four episodes of season 2 were pretty good (and Minefield/Dead Stop were excellent!), but rest of season 2 have been almost unwatchable. Mediocre shows with poor storytelling which have already been seen in every Trek series before it. I'm truly disappointed. I like the premise and characters are fine (except for Travis) - but there's no ambition in the writing in the mid season 2.

Well, I hope that's gonna change - it's Future's End tonight.

#5 of 19 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 01:37 AM

I'd say that season three has been a fairly signifigant improvement. If you liked season 2, even slightly, I think you'll like 3. Posted Image

Your milage may vary, of course. Posted Image

#6 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 04:42 AM

Theres an article in this weeks TV guide (the one with O.C on it) that asks the question, are the series that have been retooled, like Enterprise, any better and the answer for this one (others were Frazier and The Practice) was a bit better but it was too little too late and audiences arent buying it. They say it will be lucky if it makes it longer than the original Treks 3 year mission.

I gave it a try again and I dont see any vast improvement but I am spoiled now after watching Season 1-3 of B5 over the summer for the first time.
Enterprise doesnt get close to that quality of characters and stories.

#7 of 19 OFFLINE   Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr

Stunt Coordinator

• 200 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 08:20 AM

In my opinion,it has not improved. Last week was better, but I am not willing to bet that it continues.

Also, as a reply upthread... I'll put up a "Warmongering DS9" against Enterprise, TNG or V'Ger anyday. The quality of the writting is light years ahead of any of the other Treks.

#8 of 19 OFFLINE   doug zdanivsky

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor

• 786 posts
  • LocationMackenzie, BC, Canada

Posted November 04 2003 - 09:18 AM

It's definately a step up from season 2, IMHO.

#9 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 10:43 AM

Even the heavy supporters of Enterprise seem to think its a pretty mixed bag.

#10 of 19 OFFLINE   BobV

BobV

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 11:52 AM

I dislike it when people assume to talk for others... but that aside Posted Image ...

Myself, I find this season so far has been excellent, and this weeks episode looks to be another good one again.

That's my opinion.
Lillooet, B.C.
Canada's Arizona

#11 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 12:55 PM

I'm just reading the posts, oh and looking at the ratings.

#12 of 19 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:28 PM

Who cares about the ratings? Just release them straight to DVD, forget the UPN.

Stupid to put the show up against the comic book show though, they should move it so they're not at the same time, given that there's some crossover audience. The geek factor.
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#13 of 19 OFFLINE   Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,746 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted November 05 2003 - 01:54 AM

Quote:
Some complaints that it has even less of the Next Gen spirit than the war-mongering DS9, but if you don't mind that this is kind of like a Republican version of Star Trek, it is pretty good.

I take exception to that war-mongering comment. With very few (and small) exceptions, DS9 was the ONLY Trek that allowed for consequences from one week's decisions. Dukat fell into bed with the Dominion--Cardassia gets destroyed. Sisko is the Emissary--he becomes a prophet/god at the end of the series.

Enterprise, for the first two years, had very few continuing storylines and those they had, no one could sustain. Why not an overall arc-based show now, to see if that works?

So far, with one or two exceptions, I've been mildly impressed. They're keeping continuity in check, Archer learns something new each week about the Xindi and there's a sense of purpose.

#14 of 19 OFFLINE   Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

• 1,500 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 02:44 AM

Jason_V,

You may want to consider putting your DS9 comments in spoiler tags, since you basically give away the finale, and other plot-points that haven't been seen on the DVD releases, yet.

While I agree with your point, there are people out there who are seeing DS9 for the first time on DVD.

-Scott

#15 of 19 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 06:52 AM

As others have said, this season is an improvement, but I can't help thinking that it is only because they couldn't make their original concept work, so they changed it. They did the same thing with Voyager, completely throwing out the Maquis plot thread and basically tried to remake it as NG lost in space. (With rather bland characters.)

While I think the execution of the current plot is pretty decent, it doesn't really fit in with what the concept of this show is supposed to be, which is the early days of the Federation. If this wasn't a Trek show, and the first season, I'd say the show was promising.

Jason

#16 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 08:11 AM

Quote:
As others have said, this season is an improvement, but I can't help thinking that it is only because they couldn't make their original concept work, so they changed it. They did the same thing with Voyager, completely throwing out the Maquis plot thread and basically tried to remake it as NG lost in space. (With rather bland characters.)

I agree. Great setups (I loved both pilots) but it's as if they couldnt come up with great ideas to follow the initial two hours. Seeing what happened before Kirl was an intriging idea. Seeing how the Federation started could have been really interesting but seeing yet another time travel story and now a war has been done and much better (B5).

Quote:
With very few (and small) exceptions, DS9 was the ONLY Trek that allowed for consequences from one week's decisions.

That is exactly whats wrong with Trek these days, its too lazy and not willing to build characters and plots up so we are interested every week. If it were good it wouldnt matter that Smallville were on opposite it, people would be taping it and talking it about it the next day.
It was only after season 1 and 2 that they decided to go with a bit of a story arc but its still not what the original premise suggested we were going to get.
Instead of compelling characters, the people in charge of Trek are totally selling the audience short and giving us rub downs, tight outfits and more action but when it comes down to it you need more than set dressings and cool battles for the audience to come back every week.

Quote:
Who cares about the ratings?
I've not always been a fan of ratings but the show is in last place in it's time slot which says something.
They have given it three years to gel and it's not.
The only thing left is a Big ratings stunt, ie :Kirk or something or an all nude episode which considering the people in charge of the show, wouldnt be all that surprised.

#17 of 19 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 10:10 AM

Quote:
The only thing left is a Big ratings stunt

Or they could start releasing the season one box set on DVD right away, since that seems to be how many people are preferring to learn about "new" shows (new to them, that is).

I know, Bill Hunt at the Digital Bits already made this suggestion, but it was such a sensible one I've repeated it.

The ratings for Enterprise could be improved by moving the show to 9pm, the time when people expect dramas to be on. 8pm is the time for sitcoms.

#18 of 19 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 10:30 AM

I think the people who like Trek watch it when it is on TV. Trek has been milked and milked and milked. Even Die hards like myself have gotten tired of the mediocre storytelling. Sure if they had brought new writers in and it was challenging us and it just happened to get away from people than I would be the first one on here suggesting Paramount to release it but the show wasnt doing good even before they moved it opposite Smallville hense the reimagining of it.
Even The Big Motion Pictures havent been doing well.

#19 of 19 OFFLINE   Paul Fernandez

Paul Fernandez

Auditioning

• 6 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 03:03 PM

What I've always wanted is a Star Trek series that shows only the Klingons and their home world with very little interaction with the milly mouth humans. And, the characters would not devolve down to human compasion and sensibilities. They would maintain their sense of warrior race.

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow