Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
DVD Reviews

HTF DVD REVIEW: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" w/scrnshts (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
156 replies to this topic

#21 of 157 Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter

Second Unit

• 462 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:02 AM

Quote:
When you say there is more video "noise" in the picture than in X2, what exactly do you mean by noise?

When I say video noise, I mean like the background static in the image. Sometimes that "background static" is film grain, but on bigger movies, it doesn't look like film grain, it looks like "static" in an image. It's easiest to spot on solid color backgrounds. I think it is due to video compression possibly, but I am not quite sure.

#22 of 157 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:14 AM

Great review, Adam! Nothing would give me greater joy than picking up this DVD on its release date, but with Finding Nemo out today, Two Towers: Extended and Let It Be... Naked (okay, so it's a CD, but hey, it's the Beatles!) on the 18th, and X2 on the 25th, not to mention an oil change for my car and putting money aside for my wedding, I may wait until December to get T3.

Then again, T3 and the other DS9 sets make great wedding gifts for the groom - hint hint! Posted Image
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#23 of 157 DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet

Lead Actor

• 8,805 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 03:50 AM

Ok,

I'm officially very excited about getting this. I was another person who failed to see it in the theaters (just like X2, just like Matrix reloaded...DVD just makes it *so hard* to justify spending that $$ on the theater ticket) but am eager to see it projected from DVD.

GREAT REVIEW Adam. Gotta get you more server bandwidth for hosting your pics with all the hits your reviews are getting!

dave Posted Image
Be an Original Aspect Ratio Advocate

Supporter of 1080p24 video and lossless 24 bit audio.

#24 of 157 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 04:55 AM

Quote:
DVD just makes it *so hard* to justify spending that $$ on the theater ticket

I hear you, having a girlfriend or wife to take with makes most movies $16 bucks or more whereas waiting for DVD you can buy most DVD's for $15-20 and watch more than once.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#25 of 157 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,229 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 04:58 AM

Quote:
When I say video noise, I mean like the background static in the image. Sometimes that "background static" is film grain, but on bigger movies, it doesn't look like film grain, it looks like "static" in an image. It's easiest to spot on solid color backgrounds. I think it is due to video compression possibly, but I am not quite sure.

Yes, I know what you mean. Panic Room and Spider-Man come immediately to my mind.

#26 of 157 Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 05:05 AM

Thanks for the review. I picked this up as I too missed it theatrically. I gave it an 8/10.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#27 of 157 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 05:41 AM

For those who have seen the movie, here are some questions about the plot (I have already seen it):

(WARNING- Huge plot spoilers)

When the Terminator reveals that he is John Conners assassin in the future, do you think it was a warning by the Terminator, or is the future set in stone whether or not the Terminator told him?

Also,

Do you think when the Terminator changed his mind and went to Skynet to stop the countdown he knew (a) that if the countdown could be stopped the future is saved, or (b) it was hopeless anyway, and he just wanted to take them to crystal peak?

Be sure to put your answers in spoiler format...

#28 of 157 EdwardKarlinski

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 05:50 AM

I missed this film at theaters. I am looking forward to buying the DVD now.

#29 of 157 Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,241 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 06:12 AM

Saw it in the theaters - one of the more enjoyable summer flicks and contrary to popular opinion carries the Terminator franchise forward without any missteps.

It has also has one of the greatest live action stunt sequences with the oft mentioned crane.

Can't wait to see it again!
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#30 of 157 dan fritzen

dan fritzen

Second Unit

• 304 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 06:41 AM

Quote:
one of the greatest live action stunt sequences with the oft mentioned crane.

I did like this movie and will buy the DVD but that is debatable since I don't think most of it was live action.
"Other than that Mrs. Lincoln how did you enjoy the show?"

#31 of 157 Derek P

Derek P

Stunt Coordinator

• 50 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 10:59 AM

David,
I read I saw the movie and read the novel and in regards to your second question I'm pretty sure (its been a couple months) the novel said

Kate's Father knew it was hopeless and wanted his daughter to live and with the Terminator's knowledge of the future he went along with it because he knew what would happen

It has been awhile but that would make sense.

And in regards to the first question we all learned in 3
that the future is set in stone nothing can be done to change it. Like stopping Judgement Day you may delay it but its going to happen no matter what you do.

#32 of 157 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 11:00 AM

Glad to see all the positive comments as I am a huge fan of the first two movies (and I had been hearing bad reviews of the movie while in the theater).

Quote:
I also never remember seeing any Edge Enhancement during the movie.

I see what appears to be EE on the bottom right of the first screen shot!

Posted Image

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#33 of 157 Tony-B

Tony-B

Producer

• 3,768 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for your excellent review, Adam! I will definitely pick this up sometime soon.
DVD Collection/Video Game Collection/Music Collection
"The Weighted Companion Cube will never threaten to stab you." -GLaDOS

#34 of 157 Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted November 04 2003 - 12:16 PM

Quote:
I see what appears to be EE on the bottom right of the first screen shot!
But it can't be EE... otherwise you would see it very plainly on the top of the left shoulder blade (bright white -> dark transition). Perhaps it's just a digital editing artifact (i.e. part of the original film)?

#35 of 157 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:14 PM

A very well done and enthusiastic review Adam.....I love this film as well and can't wait to pick this up.Posted Image
Recently watched- Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones, Star Wars: The Phantom Menace, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Beauty and The Beast: Season 3, Mad Max 2, Mad Max, Wonder Woman(1974), Batman: Year One

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"You are unwise to lower your defenses!"

#36 of 157 Yumbo

Yumbo

Screenwriter

• 2,243 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 03:26 PM

the sound just gets better and better as the movie plays on.

picture is pretty good...slight EE on the letterboxing.

wow - nice movie despite the cast change(s).

#37 of 157 Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin

Producer

• 4,507 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 04:51 PM

Quote:
But it can't be EE... otherwise you would see it very plainly on the top of the left shoulder blade (bright white -> dark transition).

Yeah, it's definitely not as bad on the left shoulder as the right, and the background is about the same level of darkness.

There appears to very minimal EE around the skull (if at all) that looks nothing like what is seen on the right shoulder blade.

Strange...

For ordinary men, it's a burning, fiery furnace.

#38 of 157 Raymond_H

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator

• 244 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 05:27 PM

I am big fan of this movie. Saw it twice in the theaters, only movies getting that honor this year so far are (X2, Kill Bill, Finding Nemo)

November is an incredible month for new DVD releases (Nemo, T3 , TT:EE , X2)

Bring em On

Raymond

#39 of 157 Mitch Stevens

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 581 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 08:35 PM

Can anyone PLEASE confirm what is is that is on the first picture? Some say edge enhancement, others say it can't be. What is it? The reason I want to know SOOOO badly is because that is exactly what I'm seeing on ALL of my DVDs! EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM including the DVDs claimed to be the most "reference" discs out there! Of course, I haven't watched those Pixar Discs yet on my TV so I don't know about those particular titles but for every live-action movie, I have see what is in that bottom right-hand side of the picture. It's an "outline" of some sort.

At first I thought it might be my HDTV, but when I was using the X1 FP, I also noticed that in the same DVD titles. So then I thought it might be my DVD player "adding" these outlines to the movies, but again I was wrong, as I can clearly see from these pictures what I can see on my TV. It's on the DVDs themselves, and I want to know what it is! Is this edge-enhancement, even though it's not a bright "white" halo?

#40 of 157 Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

• 511 posts

Posted November 05 2003 - 12:53 AM

They're JPG compressions.

Back to DVD, Blu-ray & Digital Reviews

Forum Nav Content I Follow