What's new

New Dawn of the Dead DVD details (1 Viewer)

Derek P

Stunt Coordinator
Found this on Fangoria's website

At this past weekend’s Chiller Theatre convention in New Jersey, Fango got the scoop on the DAWN OF THE DEAD special edition coming from Anchor Bay Entertainment. The company has completed a new transfer of George Romero’s zombie classic, which Fango got a peek at and looks absolutely stunning; it’ll come out as a single-disc release in early 2004. Then, sometime in the spring, Anchor Bay will unleash a boxed set that looks to be a high-water mark for DVD horror releases. The set, which will contain at least three and possibly up to five discs, will showcase both the theatrical version and the longer uncut edition of DAWN, with negotiations under way to include the European ZOMBI cut as well. An audio commentary by producer Richard Rubinstein (his first, in which he addresses subjects ranging from the film’s production to his split with Romero and his thoughts on the DAWN remake) has already been completed, and plans are to record a new track with Romero and Tom Savini as well. There will also be a huge still gallery and lots of other features yet to be announced. Keep watching this site for further details.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
wonder what the definition of 'early' and 'spring' is.
well, in any case, this is one title i will happily double dip on. i'm just anxious to have the movie back in my collection, and if it looks great-thats good enough for me.
whatever shows up down the road is just icing on the cake.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Can't wait for the (what should have won best picture in 1978) new release. This is a great one that will be a definite pre-order.

Matthew Kiernan

Stunt Coordinator
The point is to have something to tie into the release of the ill-advised remake at the end of March. Piggybacking on the upcoming release of a new film is one of the major unwritten rules of the home video industry. It will also, one hopes, remind people of the greatness of Romero's film vs. the pointlessness of the remake.

I should also say that I saw a promo Anchor Bay put together for the show that had some clips of the new Hi-Def transfer for DAWN and it was truly stunning. Can't wait.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
I believe it already. I've been waiting for this release for a while and hope Anchor Bay can pull it off completely glitch free. It should be a great set.

Bill>Moore

Second Unit
Can't wait for this DVD. Hate having to wait even longer with just a single-disc release coming first. That's really cruel and unusual punishment!!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Hmm. I wonder if I will get the single disc and then boxed set as well? Probably. I just want Anchor Bay to get this one 100% right and make it as beautiful and awesome as possible, as I have bought this one on VHS, Laser and DVD many times I would finally like the definitive home theater edition of this awesome movie.

Gordy

Haden

Supporting Actor
The big special edition set has been rumored for release in April 2004. I hope that hasn't been pushed back. What do they consider "Early 2004" for the single-disc release? January? February? The remake comes out in March, so obviously it must come out before that or close to it. Would seem stupid to release the single-disc in March and then follow up with the special edition in April. Ugh... they better not delay the special edition until summer. I'm sick of all the damn delays with this DVD.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I've yet to own this (one of my favorite horror movies, period) in any DVD form, so consider me on board. If it's a one-disc first, so be it. I'll buy that and be happy. If and when a swankier edition hits the streets (and I consider it worthy of an upgrade, which it probably will be) then it's off to eBay for the one-disc version.

Everybody wins! ;)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I will definitely pick this up, but I might just wait for the boxed set.

My question to all of you is, we can almost guarantee that the remake will suck compared to the original, but how many of you will still go to the theater to see it?! :)

After all, I saw the atrocity that was the Time Machine remake. That has got to be the WORST remake ever in the history of remakes.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'm betting that since Anchor Bay is announcing a single disc edition to be followed months later by the ultimate edition, that they are still quite a ways off from finishing up the ultimate Ed, and they don't want to miss the window of having any release tie in with the theatrical release...hence the movie only edition.

thats ok with me, the movie is all i want anyway.
it will be nice to get different versions eventually, but i can easily see the UE getting pushed back another 6 months or more after the single disc is on the shelves.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I am definately waiting for this one too. I don't mind remakes as long as the remade movie is significantly old enough to justify it. "Dawn" was released in 1978 so it would qualify. To be honest, any well made Zombie film would be welcome at this point after disasters like "House of the Dead" and the "Zombie" 3,4, and 5 disappointments. I don't consider "28 Days Later" (good movie)a zombie film though since the "infected" are not dead. As for the boxed set, I just bought the "Day of the Dead" DVD so I will probably not be getting the boxed set.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The set is rumoured to be:

DISC 1:

127-minute Theatrical cut
All-new high-definition transfer (1.78:1/16x9)
DTS 6.1 ES surround sound
Dolby Digital 5.1 EX surround sound
Original mono
Audio commentary by...

DISC 2:

139-minute Director's Cut
DTS 6.1 ES surround sound
Dolby Digital 5.1 EX surround sound
Original mono
Audio commentary by...

DISC 3:

118-minute European Dario Argento cut
Original mono

DISC 4:

New interviews
New documentaries
Monroeville Mall Then-and-Now
Deleted scenes
Stills
Trailers

DISC 5:

Roy Frumkes' original Document Of The Dead documentary (1.33:1)

And lots more! All beautifully packaged.

Gordy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks