What's new

6.1 Rear Speaker settings: Matrix on or off? (1 Viewer)

Hal M

Agent
I have a Denon 3803. When receiving a 6.1 signal. the rear speaker choices are OFF, MATRIX ON, MATRIX OFF. Which are the best/recommended settings for DD and/or DTS? I know DD doesn't have a discreet rear channel, so does that mean MATRIX ON should be used? And what if it's a 5.1 movie and you want to use the rears anyway? Is it better to have MATRIX ON or OFF (I believe off sends the side speaker signals to the back as well). And since DTS does offer discreet rear signals for 6.1 and 7.1, does that mean MATRIX OFF is the proper setting? The manual is rather vague about these things. Would love to hear any thoughts/experiences regarding these options.

Thanks in advance,

Hal

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I've got the 3803 and I'll admit the manual leaves something to be desired, though the receiver is awesome. I leave my Matrix setting "ON". The book states if its set to "OFF" the rears are not used, whereas the "NON MATRX" setting just sends the side surround signal also to the rears. The only option available that seems to use the rears properly for DTS-ES & DD-EX is "ON". But its still a bit hazy as to what exactly happens when a discrete rear signal is involved.

- Jack

Dave Nibeck

Stunt Coordinator
The matrix function mimics the ES or EX channel for software that is not encoded as such. You would think this would yield the same result. With my 4802, the matrix mode makes the center surround much more pronounced when playing non ES or EX material to the point were it is annoying and takes away from the surround experience. Perhapes the 3803 does a better job.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks