Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Where is "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere"???!!!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
358 replies to this topic

#21 of 359 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 14 2004 - 10:38 AM

[quote]

says Gary Newman - President of 20th Century Fox TV

"Now we have a new model that allows us to put high-quality programming on the air in a new way."

[quote]

This is a quote from the above named gentleman in the 4/19/2004 issue of Time magazine. Once again IMHO "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere" qualify as "high-quality programming". Certainly more than some programs that Fox is putting out on DVD. If "Family Guy" merits consideration for a DVD release, then "Hill Street Blues" & "St Elsewhere" also deserve consideration despite the mentioned connection to the sales of "NYPD Blue".

Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#22 of 359 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,911 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted April 15 2004 - 08:35 AM

Add me to the list of people who would definitely purchase season sets of Hill Street Blues but has no interest in buying NYPD Blue. I loved the former show, but can take or leave the latter.

[quote]

Maybe NYPD blue airing so much in syndication has hurt it's DVD Sales I know I would've bought a few more years.

[quote]

While this had no affect of me not purchasing NYPD Blue, it has kept me from purchasing other season sets, such as Cheers. Therefore, I could see this being a reason that NYPD Blue has not sold that well.

#23 of 359 OFFLINE   Amano Ai

Amano Ai

Agent

• 30 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 06:52 AM

Hill Street Blues was a favorite of mine as well, never watched the NYPD show. Wished HSB would be coming out soon, guess I'll have to keep waiting like the rest of the fans! Posted Image

#24 of 359 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:19 AM

St. Elsewhere would be nice to have, but wasn't the entire show merely a daydream, anyway? Posted Image

#25 of 359 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 08:41 AM

[quote]

guess I'll have to keep waiting like the rest of the fans!

[quote]
Unfortunately my feeling is that I'll NEVER see it in my lifetime. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum

#26 of 359 OFFLINE   RobinO

RobinO

Stunt Coordinator

• 68 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:03 AM

I would buy St. Elsewhere in a heartbeat - even if it was just a daydream Posted Image

#27 of 359 OFFLINE   Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:08 AM

If you stop and think about it, if "St. Elsewhere" is all a dream, then so too by extension is "Cheers" and "Frasier" since there was a crossover episode with "Cheers" at one point. Posted Image

#28 of 359 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 09:09 AM

St. Elsewhere was a world that existed in the mind of an autistic child. I'm not sure if it is a "daydream".
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#29 of 359 OFFLINE   Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter

• 1,090 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 11:59 AM

Point taken. I simply used the word "daydream" because I'd heard that word used numerous times over the years to describe the final episode (i.e. "autistic child's daydream").

#30 of 359 OFFLINE   Scott_F_S

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 12:14 PM

Seems to me that these shows could be fairly successful on DVD, as they haven't been done to death in syndication repeats -- therefore, they haven't been overexposed (as has NYPD Blue, MTM and a few others). I recall that PBS ran St. Elsewhere reruns about 10 years ago, but I don't know if it's been on anywhere else since. I have a faint memory of HSB showing up in the early days of TV Land but don't remember seeing it in years. Anyway, two exceptional, groundbreaking dramas. I'd be anxious to see them again if for not other reason than to see how well they hold up.

#31 of 359 OFFLINE   Daniel W

Daniel W

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 12:39 PM

Count me in as another who'd get St. Elsewhere in a hearbeat.

[quote]

If you stop and think about it, if "St. Elsewhere" is all a dream, then so too by extension is "Cheers" and "Frasier" since there was a crossover episode with "Cheers" at one point.

[quote]

Speaking of which, check out this link for a pretty entertaining extension of that theory:

http://www.slushfact....yZloMBeEdd.php
Darth Vader is Luke's father!

#32 of 359 OFFLINE   Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 12:52 PM

Please, give me Hill, Renko and the co on DVD. Please, please, please! I'm with most of you guys, don't really care for NYPD Blue that much.

#33 of 359 OFFLINE   David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,386 posts

Posted April 20 2004 - 01:51 PM

Oh my God, Daniel! That's the best thing I've read in a long time! Thanks for the link!!! Posted Image Posted Image
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#34 of 359 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,632 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted April 20 2004 - 02:24 PM

That's a fun article, and the crossover site it links to is even more fun. Here's a great quote:

[quote]

I actually like the idea that the kid dreamed ALL the shows connected to St. Elsewhere. In that case if you check all the pertinent crossovers you'll discover that the show Newhart was the dream of Bob Newhart's character from the Bob Newhart show who was in turn only a character in an autistic kid's head. Don't think about that too long or your head will explode.

[quote]
Posted Image
Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.
* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.
* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#35 of 359 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted May 14 2004 - 11:36 PM

[quote]

Count me in as another who'd get St. Elsewhere in a hearbeat.

quote:

If you stop and think about it, if "St. Elsewhere" is all a dream, then so too by extension is "Cheers" and "Frasier" since there was a crossover episode with "Cheers" at one point.unquote

Speaking of which, check out this link for a pretty entertaining extension of that theory:

[quote]
"St Elsewhere" also does not exist as a DVD release unfortunately & to my continuing massive frustration. Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Cogito, Ergo Sum

#36 of 359 OFFLINE   Robin W.

Robin W.

Extra

• 17 posts

Posted May 15 2004 - 03:58 AM

I would buy St. Elsewhere and Hill Street Blues! I love the shows from the eighties (and seventies) and here in Holland they have Twin Peaks 1 (ok, that's the nineties), Starsky and hutch 1 and Little House on the Prairie 1. I don't have Little House yet, but I am glad they start putting those old series on DVD.

#37 of 359 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted May 16 2004 - 09:38 AM

Are you buying R2 editions Robin or R1 editions of the shows?
Cogito, Ergo Sum

#38 of 359 OFFLINE   R. Kay

R. Kay

Second Unit

• 308 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 07:54 AM

Another vote to get St. Elsewhere and Hill Street on DVD. IMHO : Two of the 10 greatest shows ever on television.

#39 of 359 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 11:16 AM

Arent they both MTM shows? The studio cant even release all of Mary Tyler Moore but I sure would like these, especially St. Elsewhere, finer than ER ever was.

[quote]

St. Elsewhere was a world that existed in the mind of an autistic child. I'm not sure if it is a "daydream".

[quote]

You gave away the ending of the whole show????? Posted Image

#40 of 359 OFFLINE   Dave Farley

Dave Farley

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted August 16 2004 - 01:21 PM

I would definitely buy St. Elsewhere on DVD. I agree with Mikel, it was a better show than ER, in my opinion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users