What's new

A new Trek film with Kirk? (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Writer David Gerrold wants his James T. Kirk.

The man who wrote the classic STAR TREK episode "The Trouble With Tribbles", Gerrold is now a successful science fiction novelist creating his own universes. Still, he remains an avid fan of classic TREK and if he had his way, would resurrect the legendary captain of the U.S.S. Enterprise for a new TREK movie adventure.

"I'd yank him in out of an alternate timeline in which TNG and everything afterward just didn't happen," Gerrold told the Bring Back Kirk website (and as reported by Trek Today. "The TNG and post-TNG universes are so screwed up they need someone to help straighten things out. So they grab Admiral Kirk out of retirement from a parallel universe. I'd reunite him with any of the original actors who still wanted to play, but my first choice of course would be Spock."

Gerrold has already thought about and solved the problem about how to include action in his proposed TREK project considering that William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy can be officially considered senior citizens. "The new crew would be the Mission Team, Kirk and Spock would be the advisors with age and experience," Gerrold explains. "I would still want to see Kirk in action situations, but not hand-to-hand combat." Hey, this might actually work...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd pay money to see him again. My favorite and really the only one I watch is Undiscovered Country. I for one could care less about continuity in that sense. You could bring him back and just have a great movie.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Shatner and Nimoy are too old. Forget it. Star Trek is over - let's move on.

Steve_Pannell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
"It was... fun" while it lasted. As much as I liked the original crew (especially Shatner and Nimoy) I really don't care to see them in administrative or advisory roles that much. Let them rest in peace. "Oh my"

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I don't get the obsession with Kirk and Spock as somehow defining the essence of Star Trek. Yes, Nimoy gave perhaps the definitive portrayal of a Vulcan, but that doesn't mean that many other actors couldn't have done just as well, and every time I see the original "The Cave" pilot with Jeffrey Hunter as the captain of the Enterprise, I realize that the Kirk character is NOT all that special. Move ON, already.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
A looney idea. Long, long ago the people responsible for this franchise lost grip of the concept of "letting well enough alone." I see this mindset has infected those on the periphery of the franchise as well.

kevin_tomb

Stunt Coordinator
Hey KIRK AND SPOCK could just be called at the starfleet nursing home for over the hill, overrated, actors. Just have them videoconference commands to the younger actors and teach them how to act as well as the OLD star trek characters. Kinda like on mystery science thearte 3000......And yeah jeffrey hunter is pretty great as a captian. Hey face it...old star trek is just that....OLD..good at its time, in a cheesey way, but the world imrpoved big time. Do you guys into the old series actually sit around and watch these old episodes???....or do you just try to remember what made you like them watching them like 25 years ago. I watched several lately and honestly they kinda sucked. I liked them back in the day, but honestly they seem old in many ways now, not just the budget etc.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Along the lines of the "Freddy vs. Jason" film, how about a fight-off between two screen legends in their old age: James T. Kirk vs. Indiana Jones? Didn't you always wonder who was the tougher guy?
htf_images_smilies_chatter.gif

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
How long will it be before they can just digitally recreate the actors and make a new series to cover the time period between the last episode of TOS and ST:TMP?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

Kevin, get real. Yes. Just yesterday I screened two TOS episodes and enjoyed myself very much, thank you. Stories drove TOS, and at its best it defines Star Trek. Don't so casually insult so many members here.

StevenA

Second Unit
Jack, I agree completely.

City on the Edge of Forever, as just one example, is, IMHO, still one of the very best, perhaps the best, Trek episode of all. Superbly written and performed.

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Equating old with bad will rob you of many treasures in all walks of life.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Do you guys into the old series actually sit around and watch these old episodes???....or do you just try to remember what made you like them watching them like 25 years ago.
Oh dear.

Eternal stories do not just evaporate and the entirety of HTF is dedicated to just that. Despite being a charter member of the MTV generation I have come to dearly appreciate the value of good story well told no matter the time from which it came. I could so easily dismiss anything not done in the last 10 years as old and worthless but that would mean me becoming a tool of marketers who want us to believe that new and improved is the way to go.

Some members of this forum have dedicated their entire lives to rescuing these stories from oblivion and bringing them to your home theater. I have films from Fred Ott's Sneeze all the way to LOTR: The Two Towers (a story written btw, many years before the original Star Trek) on DVD. Some are curiosity pieces like Aelita: Queen of Mars but most are masterpieces of film making that any 21 year old film student would recognize as landmarks of film. Beyond that they are wonderful stories just as capably directed, written, and performed as movies today (even better some would say); some are still considered among the best films ever made by anyone who takes the time to break-out of the blinkered cultural mode of, "the best is what I'm being fed now".

A very good friend of mine who is 21 is very interested in film and asked me what he could watch to really appreciate what film was all about. It took me MONTHS to get him to watch a black and white movie. I'm still trying to get him to look at a few silents. But what he has seen he has loved. He didn't like Citizen Kane but really liked The Glass Managerie and Psycho!. One of his favorite actors is Karl Malden.

Take a look around HTF and read the posts about films and DVDs of all kinds. You'll find people of all ages, some younger than you, who have an appreciation for cinema and television from all eras and have found such stories an enrichment to their lives in the here and now and, likely, for years to come.

Looking at the newest leaf tells you nothing about the tree from which it grew.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Finding a convienent excuse to combine the crews of TOS and TNG (aka Generations) was a bad idea. I have a hard time believing that a science fiction novelist was actually serious about bringing back Kirk. For his sake I hope that he's writing a script for Austin Powers in space........

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Finding a convienent excuse to combine the crews of TOS and TNG (aka Generations) was a bad idea.
Yes it was. I have no objections to and even enjoy the occasional cameo by one of the original members that took place here and there but otherwise they're two very different crews with their own destinies and own storylines. We can't keep resurrecting the past members at every drop of the hat simply because the current series are running on laurels laid down by the original series and TNG.

P.S. I know that there are plenty of fans of DS9, Voyager, and the new Star Trek but they haven't had the commercial success to carry the series. :)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Harlan Ellison -the original writer- would beg to differ. Read his book on the subject. Rather illuminating.

As to bringing back Kirk and Spock. Why not? The series could be called geriaTREK and have a really spiffy opening line like...."they are on a lifelong mission to go where every man has gone before. Their mission to explore new worlds of dentures, checkers, and red suspenders. These are the adventures of the Starship Ensureprize."

Dennis

Second Unit
For me, part of the original series' charm is the fact that they were low budget. Considering the limitations of the special effects at the time, the producers had to have good scripts to compensate. Maybe George Lucas should take note. :b :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks