Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

strange trouble with dish/cable together

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 09:47 AM

I'm having a strange problem with dish and cable together now. I've moved my TV upstairs, reconnected and have this -
When viewing the dish, I have an Audio Hum, when I unscrew cable, hum goes away.
I've tried dish in 4 different audio/video inputs, same thing.

I can see a "interference line" moving slowly up the screen when cable is pluged in while viewing dish. Viewing cable though is clear.
This did work together before, can't fiqure out whats different.
These 2 won't get along now, DVD is fine.

anyone ever hear of this ?

thx for any help

update: I gave up trying different ways of connecting it, left it alone for an hour or so, and it's working correctly :/
"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the Master."

#2 of 7 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 10:44 AM

You proably have some (small amount) electrical current in your cable line for starters. I used a box that traped the majority of it when I had cable at an apartment. I had sparklies, hum bars, a melted wall plate from lightening ( Panamax saved my stuff), and just about every other problem possible. After the big lightening strike, the cable company even disconnected one of my close neighbor's service, after a service call to my place because, apparently, the lightening had so damaged their set that it was releasing current into everybody else's lines. Never underestimate the "filth" that can come in with cable.

Can you move the box/es farther apart? change their position? Sometimes this works. What kind of surge suppressor do you have? Is it damaged, from a surge? After my big lightening strike, Panamax gave me 2 new 1000+'s, the video section was damaged, I got electrical humbars, which I suspect you have from your discription. I'd really scrutinize my own stuff before I called the cable company. Good luck!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#3 of 7 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 11:36 AM

Rachael, what was this box you used that trapped the voltage, and where did you get it?

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 7 Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 12:13 PM

Wayne, it's the Mondial Magic Box. On the side it says "mondial antenna ground isolation circuit". It's got F-type inputs and outputs and a screw'n' hand bolt for grounding. It helped but couldn't eliminate all the crud when my pathetic cable service was at it's low ebbs. It reduces sparklies. Best wishes!
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#5 of 7 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 02:19 PM

You're getting a groundloop between your cable and satellite, it may be that the previous cable outlet you were connected to was grounded differently, I have the same problem if I try to hook my computer up at the same time my cable box is hooked up. I have yet to find a way to correct this but it doesn't matter anymore since I dont ever hook my pc up to my TV.

Jeremy
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.

#6 of 7 Paul Bartlet

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 11:48 AM

Well I shouldn't have said it's gone, it just doesn't seem as bad. But yes, I do believe it's a "ground" problem. I screwed ground cable from dish to cable spliter (which is grounded) outside (Cable company's spliter, not mine).

Ok, so these two were happy together before, now for some reason they are not. The Cable spliters ground outside goes into the ground, so I can't see what it's grounded to. Should I ground dish to something else (metal fence post,,,,?).

Can this damage my TV, the Sony HS10 may not be worth what it was, but it was expensive when I bought it.

Description of sound/hum I'm getting is like 'electric guitar" being plugged into Amp. Along with a slow moving line moving up screen.
"When I left you, I was but the learner; now I am the Master."

#7 of 7 JeremyFr

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 05:51 PM

I would say that its probably best to leave one unplugged while using the other with it affecting the picture like that I cant imagine it being good, I finally gave up after I figured out what it was and used one or the other but never left both plugged in.

Jeremy
For those of you who know your job is to teach.
For those of you who dont know your job is to learn.