What's new

strange trouble with dish/cable together (1 Viewer)

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
I'm having a strange problem with dish and cable together now. I've moved my TV upstairs, reconnected and have this -
When viewing the dish, I have an Audio Hum, when I unscrew cable, hum goes away.
I've tried dish in 4 different audio/video inputs, same thing.

I can see a "interference line" moving slowly up the screen when cable is pluged in while viewing dish. Viewing cable though is clear.
This did work together before, can't fiqure out whats different.
These 2 won't get along now, DVD is fine.

anyone ever hear of this ?

thx for any help

update: I gave up trying different ways of connecting it, left it alone for an hour or so, and it's working correctly :/

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You proably have some (small amount) electrical current in your cable line for starters. I used a box that traped the majority of it when I had cable at an apartment. I had sparklies, hum bars, a melted wall plate from lightening ( Panamax saved my stuff), and just about every other problem possible. After the big lightening strike, the cable company even disconnected one of my close neighbor's service, after a service call to my place because, apparently, the lightening had so damaged their set that it was releasing current into everybody else's lines. Never underestimate the "filth" that can come in with cable.

Can you move the box/es farther apart? change their position? Sometimes this works. What kind of surge suppressor do you have? Is it damaged, from a surge? After my big lightening strike, Panamax gave me 2 new 1000+'s, the video section was damaged, I got electrical humbars, which I suspect you have from your discription. I'd really scrutinize my own stuff before I called the cable company. Good luck!

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Wayne, it's the Mondial Magic Box. On the side it says "mondial antenna ground isolation circuit". It's got F-type inputs and outputs and a screw'n' hand bolt for grounding. It helped but couldn't eliminate all the crud when my pathetic cable service was at it's low ebbs. It reduces sparklies. Best wishes!

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
You're getting a groundloop between your cable and satellite, it may be that the previous cable outlet you were connected to was grounded differently, I have the same problem if I try to hook my computer up at the same time my cable box is hooked up. I have yet to find a way to correct this but it doesn't matter anymore since I dont ever hook my pc up to my TV.

Jeremy

Paul Bartlet

Stunt Coordinator
Well I shouldn't have said it's gone, it just doesn't seem as bad. But yes, I do believe it's a "ground" problem. I screwed ground cable from dish to cable spliter (which is grounded) outside (Cable company's spliter, not mine).

Ok, so these two were happy together before, now for some reason they are not. The Cable spliters ground outside goes into the ground, so I can't see what it's grounded to. Should I ground dish to something else (metal fence post,,,,?).

Can this damage my TV, the Sony HS10 may not be worth what it was, but it was expensive when I bought it.

Description of sound/hum I'm getting is like 'electric guitar" being plugged into Amp. Along with a slow moving line moving up screen.

JeremyFr

Supporting Actor
I would say that its probably best to leave one unplugged while using the other with it affecting the picture like that I cant imagine it being good, I finally gave up after I figured out what it was and used one or the other but never left both plugged in.

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks