-

Photo
- - - - -

paradigm question regarding surround choice

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 12:12 AM

So here are the questions i would like to be answered..oh yeah and some background info.

I was set on getting some monitor 7's, but then i saw a deal at the only paradigm store which had some b-stock studio v2's. Of course i just had to check it out because they had some awesome deals...i thought. it turned out that they only had one speaker, not a pair like i hoped. So anyway while i was there i just happen to listen to some studio 60's and damn were they awesome, so long to the monitor 7's and more $$. I haven't bought yet, but will be buying when the christmas bonus comes around. Finally to the questions:

Do i really need to have studio 20's for the rear? How much info is actually sent to the rears during movies making me need very good speakers back there? I don't listen to multichannel music now, and don't plan to in the future but who knows, i seem to like 2 channel just fine. I am thinking that atoms for surrounds unless i need 20's, do I? and finally do you expect the prices of the v3's to come down anytime soon?, v2 msrp was listed at 1200/pair for 60's but the v3 are 1500/pair

70% movies/15% xbox/15%music and receiver/amp depends the surround situation

thanks for you time
Mike
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   BrianWoerndle

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor

• 794 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 04:31 AM

I wouldn't step all the way down to Atoms if you have Studio 60s up front. I would get a pair of Mini Monitors, they have a much smoother response.
The only way to safely double your money is to fold it over once and place it back in your pocket.

http://www.cube17576.com

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Kevin. W

Kevin. W

Screenwriter

• 1,546 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 03:14 PM

Mike,

The prices of the v3 may take some time to come down. You can only try haggling to see what happens. You may want to look at making a trip to Windsor Ontario to pickup your speakers. With exchange rate, taxes returned you should come out ahead. For reference and check with your dealer here's what I paid for my v3 in CDN$$(15% taxes included)

Studio 40v3: $1400CDN
Studio 20v3: $1050CDN
Studio CC470: $700CDN
PW2100v2 $778CDN

Total: $3928CDN/$2987US

Basically I paid 15% of sticker price. I also got 2 sets of premier speaker stands($300 taxes in) for free. If you got a similar deal you would get the above setup for the price shown but at the border and via mail you would recieve the taxes back($513CDN/$390US). So in total the cost of the above setup would be $2593US plus a day driving to and back from Windsor.

Kevin

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 12:19 AM

thanks for the info guys
Now they show you how detergents take out bloodstains, a pretty violent image there. I think if you've got a T-shirt with a bloodstain all over it, maybe laundry isn't your biggest problem. Maybe you should get rid of the body before you do the wash.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 07:37 AM

I agree with Mike that you should consider the Mini-Monitors for your surround. You wouldn't be a complete match with the Studio series, but a step closer than the Atoms.
Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Barry BB

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 09:33 AM

I agree with the others that if it is not a budget breaker then mini monitors are a better speaker than atoms. However you don't necessarily need to discount the atoms for surrounds. When I bought my system I set a strict budget and once I decided on Studio 20's and the Studio CC for my front sound stage I had to go with atoms for surrounds and I am satisfied with the set up.

Since you are 70% movies the atoms will be OK. For movies surrounds really only take care of background sounds so while the minis are a step up I think that the atoms are fine also.

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Ron

Ron

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted November 01 2003 - 02:45 PM

I have the v2 60's and upgraded my atoms to the 20's. With music there's a big diference, but not as big with movies.

If you can't afford the 20's get the mini monitors and upgrade in the future when you buy a DVD-A/SACD player.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

• 630 posts

Posted November 02 2003 - 11:37 PM

thanks guys...i am just going to have to wait and see what kind of deal i can get and go from there. plus i am getting quite serious about going to canada for the 'digms, i just can't stand the paradigm dealers here...they barely even acknowledge me when i walk in the store

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   michael stro

michael stro

Auditioning

• 13 posts

Posted November 04 2003 - 02:42 PM

I'm running 60's true biamped with a rotel 1075 wow they sound great ,I also have a pr of titans for the rear surrounds and a pr of atoms for the rear center. they all run on two rotel 1075 amps. great setup hope you get them they are great speakers.