What's new

paradigm question regarding surround choice (1 Viewer)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
So here are the questions i would like to be answered..oh yeah and some background info.

I was set on getting some monitor 7's, but then i saw a deal at the only paradigm store which had some b-stock studio v2's. Of course i just had to check it out because they had some awesome deals...i thought. it turned out that they only had one speaker, not a pair like i hoped. So anyway while i was there i just happen to listen to some studio 60's and damn were they awesome, so long to the monitor 7's and more $$. I haven't bought yet, but will be buying when the christmas bonus comes around. Finally to the questions:

Do i really need to have studio 20's for the rear? How much info is actually sent to the rears during movies making me need very good speakers back there? I don't listen to multichannel music now, and don't plan to in the future but who knows, i seem to like 2 channel just fine. I am thinking that atoms for surrounds unless i need 20's, do I? and finally do you expect the prices of the v3's to come down anytime soon?, v2 msrp was listed at 1200/pair for 60's but the v3 are 1500/pair

70% movies/15% xbox/15%music and receiver/amp depends the surround situation

thanks for you time
Mike

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
I wouldn't step all the way down to Atoms if you have Studio 60s up front. I would get a pair of Mini Monitors, they have a much smoother response.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Mike,

The prices of the v3 may take some time to come down. You can only try haggling to see what happens. You may want to look at making a trip to Windsor Ontario to pickup your speakers. With exchange rate, taxes returned you should come out ahead. For reference and check with your dealer here's what I paid for my v3 in CDN$$(15% taxes included)

Studio 40v3: $1400CDN
Studio 20v3: $1050CDN
Studio CC470: $700CDN
PW2100v2 $778CDN

Total: $3928CDN/$2987US

Basically I paid 15% of sticker price. I also got 2 sets of premier speaker stands($300 taxes in) for free. If you got a similar deal you would get the above setup for the price shown but at the border and via mail you would recieve the taxes back($513CDN/$390US). So in total the cost of the above setup would be $2593US plus a day driving to and back from Windsor.

Kevin

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Mike that you should consider the Mini-Monitors for your surround. You wouldn't be a complete match with the Studio series, but a step closer than the Atoms.

Barry BB

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with the others that if it is not a budget breaker then mini monitors are a better speaker than atoms. However you don't necessarily need to discount the atoms for surrounds. When I bought my system I set a strict budget and once I decided on Studio 20's and the Studio CC for my front sound stage I had to go with atoms for surrounds and I am satisfied with the set up.

Since you are 70% movies the atoms will be OK. For movies surrounds really only take care of background sounds so while the minis are a step up I think that the atoms are fine also.

Ron

Auditioning
I have the v2 60's and upgraded my atoms to the 20's. With music there's a big diference, but not as big with movies.

If you can't afford the 20's get the mini monitors and upgrade in the future when you buy a DVD-A/SACD player.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
thanks guys...i am just going to have to wait and see what kind of deal i can get and go from there. plus i am getting quite serious about going to canada for the 'digms, i just can't stand the paradigm dealers here...they barely even acknowledge me when i walk in the store

michael stro

Auditioning
I'm running 60's true biamped with a rotel 1075 wow they sound great ,I also have a pr of titans for the rear surrounds and a pr of atoms for the rear center. they all run on two rotel 1075 amps. great setup hope you get them they are great speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks