Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Sonic Youth--what to get.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 04:47 PM

A couple days ago I was at a music store and they were playing some really cool stuff on their store system. Clean, stripped-down rock but kinda quirky (in a good way though), & with interesting lyrics. I hung around and listened to five tracks. Turns out they were playing a Sonic Youth album called Goo. Someone else then told me Daydream Nation was very good too.

Any opinions on what other albums I should get?

Thanks!

LJ

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   MartinTeller

MartinTeller

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 05:13 PM

Daydream Nation is definitely my favorite. I also like Evol, Sister and Bad Moon Rising. BMR is kind of an acquired taste, though.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   MatS

MatS

Screenwriter

• 1,599 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 05:15 PM

you just named the two I would suggest "Goo" (their major label debut) paved the way for Nirvana's "Nevermind". I would take "Goo" over "Nevermind" any day of the week. put on track 7 "Disappearer" and turn it up to 11 overall though their records are very uneven other recommended listening: The Pixies, My Bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   LawrenceK

LawrenceK

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 06:12 PM

I reccomend, Daydream Nation, Sister, Murray Street...in that order. Daydream Nation is one of the best albums ever in my estimation. Those reccomendations for The Pixies and My Bloody Valentine I also second.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 06:23 PM

I'd recommend Goo, Daydream Nation, and Dirty.

Saw them Halloween, 1991, in San Francisco. Nirvana opened. A show I'll remember for a long time. Posted Image

And if you're up for something slightly different, look around for Ciccone Youth's The Whitey Album. Sonic Youth's noise/rock/grunge take on Madonna.
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 04:20 AM

Besides Evol, Goo, Dirty, and Daydream Nation, which are my favorites, seek out the "blue" e.p., and the bootlegs "Texas 1986" and "Europe 1992." Pick up the CD singles for Dissapearer and Dirty Boots too for some demos and live takes. The Deluxe edition for Dirty is great and next year we should have deluxe editions for Goo and Daydream Nation. Also track down the VHS "1991: The Year Punk Broke." Thanks to Courtney Love, because Nirvana is on it too...and they dis Courtney on the video, we may never see it on DVD.

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   Martin Rendall

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter

• 1,047 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 06:03 AM

Goo, Dirty, and Daydream Nation
Hopelessly out of date DVD Collection Listing

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   LanceJ

LanceJ

Producer

• 3,168 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 08:18 AM

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Though I've heard of Sonic Youth for years and even saw them on a Beavis & Butthead episode (& they didn't make fun of them either!), finally hearing them through five full tracks made me realize why so many people talk about them. It's really cool to discover a "new" band.

It's payday this Friday, so I hope that used Goo CD is still there (only eight bucks) and I saw Daydream Nation at Best Buy last night, so I will try to pick both of these up.

LJ

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   David Fisher

David Fisher

Stunt Coordinator

• 167 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 11:39 AM

I love the classic Sonic Youth albums, but don't be afraid of their recent work. I think NYC Ghost and Flowers can easily be compared to their classic albums, but has a maturity that comes easily with a band that has actually survived for so long. I enjoyed Murray Street, but it almost seems like an adult contemporary version of Sonic Youth. I think that I read an interview where Moore said that it is an "OAR" version of Sonic Youth. I like it, but I don't play it as often as NYCGaF.
"Keep watch over absent meaning."
--Maurice Blanchot

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown

Producer

• 5,713 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 12:50 PM

[quote] next year we should have deluxe editions for Goo and Daydream Nation. [quote]
I did not know that. Cool.

Yeah, The Year that Punk Broke. The Dirty Boots EP/CD/single. Some killer live stuff on that. (Why oh why won't they put out an official live CD of more recent stuff? Posted Image )

Daydream Nation. Man, that record is so good it hurts...
If it's not worth waiting until the last minute to do, then it's not worth doing.

KevinVision 7.1 ...

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 02:57 AM

I suspect some of the live cuts from the Dirty Boots e.p. will be on the Goo Deluxe Edition, but there are also a ton of demos that could be released too. As a subscriber to the Sonic Death newsletter I received a cd called The Goo Demos. A lot of the demos are better than the actual release, as great as it was. Some of the demos are on the Dissapearer e.p. I got into Sonic Youth in 1989 when I caught them on Later with David Sanborn (which is how I got into the Pixies as well). The day after I saw them I rushed to the record store and bought all their records. I fell in love with Evol immediately. Goo came out when I was traveling around Europe in 1990 and before my trip was over I had completely worn out the tape (ditto The Breeders - Pod.)

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,637 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 03:57 AM

The SONIC GOO Laserdisc is right nice....
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden

Producer

• 6,127 posts
  • LocationLivonia, MI USA

Posted October 31 2003 - 05:38 AM

My favorites are Sister, Daydream Nation, and Goo. Regards,
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users