What's new

It's A Mad Mad.....DVD extras? (1 Viewer)

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
First off, my name is Derek and I am new to the list. I am a big fan of the film IAMMMMW and am anxiously awaiting the DVD release. I know that the version on the DVD is the theatrical version, but my question is does anyone know if all of the restored footage from the VHS/LD will be on the DVD? I've never seen the theatrical version. Does the extra footage in the movie make a big difference? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Derek

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
derek
Welcome to the forum. I too am anxiously awaiting this DVD. The specs list deleted scenes, but what those scenes are is not clear. Try performing a search on MAD WORLD, and a few threads should pop up on the subject You'll see that a LOT of interest has been raised about this DVD and it's content.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
According to the Amazon.com website, it's listed as having a 1 hour documentary which was also on the box set of the LD. I'm fairly certain that no restored or extra footage will be on this DVD. Now I have the LD with all the extra footage that they re-inserted back into the film and they were of poor quality and I really didn't think they enhanced the movie (for me). I'll pick up the DVD for the anamorphic image and 5.1 sound. The documentary that IS on the DVD is quite good.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
You'll certainly get different opinions here, and vehemently so, but while there are equally vocal proponents on both sides, I think there are more fans of this film in this forum who will not be buying the upcoming dvd because of the cuts from the already released ld. I for one find they enhance the film, and will not be buying the butchered* version on the upcoming dvd.
*IMO
------------------
13-time NBA world champion Lakers: 1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The 20 min cut from the film is the deleted scenes, I think.
I think MGM is doing the right thing by putting the general release version out until the movie is reconstructed.
Every time a deleted scene popped up on the "restored" version, the color was faded, the picture was warped, and there were scratches EVERYWHERE.
It's not MGM's fault that the movie is butchered, it's United Artists' fault from 1963. They cut it after the roadshow.
I still think MGM should have postponed the DVD until it was properly restored...but this DVD might be a fundraiser for the restoration. It IS a 65mm film, you know.
------------------
P.S.: There's no P.S.

Richard Carnahan

Stunt Coordinator
Every time a deleted scene popped up on the "restored" version, the color was faded, the picture was warped, and there were scratches EVERYWHERE.
Boy, do I disagree with you here! Considering what they had to work with (a faded release print), I thought MGM/UA did a hell of a job on the laserdisc--both in terms of color and scratch removal. And the print wasn't "warped", merely designed for a curved screen.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have said this many times before.
MGM should have waited to release this
film to DVD until they had the chance to
do it RIGHT.
I'll be celebrating the DVD release by watching
the laserdisc Special Edition.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Check out the review from DVDFILE.com. It is now up, and they are not too happy about the extras.
I WILL NOT be buying this DVD, untill it's released properly!
------------------
[Edited last by JohnS on September 04, 2001 at 04:47 AM]

Jarod M

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe I need to clarify what I wrote in my review for DVDFILE. The actually length of the "deleted scenes" (or "extended scenes" as the packaging indicates) is an hour long. But MUCH of the hour is repetitive. So the stuff that makes you think, "hey, waitasecond, I haven't seen that before" is much less than an hour. If the RIGHT deleted scenes from this section were APPROPRIATELY and INTELLIGENTLY inserted into the film to make a longer cut, I cannot say that it would make the film much more than 15 or 20 minutes longer, if that. But I will stress that I am not an expert on this film, and have not seen the laserdisc release, though I certainly was aware of it.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'll be celebrating this release as Ron is, by watching the laserdisc version. No sale, MGM.
- Steve

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that the additional scenes that are on the LD version are NOT scenes cut between the roadshow and the theatrical version. That is, they are scenes that were never meant to be part of the released movie in the first place, and it was gross misrepresentation to edit them back in and call it restored. I find it hard to get riled up about such material. As far as I know, all the material that was cut from the roadshow version remains lost, but I'd be happy to hear otherwise.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The dvdfile review indicates that the DVD has good and bad elements. At least it has the Overture, Intermission and Epilogue music which is a big plus as far as I'm concerned as well as many deleted scenes. However, I'm sorry to learn that the picture quality isn't up to much. When I first saw the film on the Cinerama screen I thought the picture quality was fantastic. In fact, one of the sharpest images I've ever seen. Still, as I don't have the laser disc, I will definitely be picking up the DVD pending a complete restoration.
------------------

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mark,
Who told you those deleted scenes were
NOT in the ROADSHOW version?
It is my understanding that there is no
way to know at this point since none of
the original elements showing what the
Roadshow version even exist.
Let's put it this way....
The film was originally cut down after
the ROADSHOW release. It stands to reason
that MOST LIKELY the deleted footage was from
the original ROADSHOW release.
Putting that extra footage in supplemental
form, instead of inserting it back in the
movie itself, does far more harm to the viewer.
You quickly lose interest in watching these
scenes out of proper sequence.
Trust me -- the laserdisc Special Edition,
true Roadshow version or not -- was FAR better
than what MGM has put together here.
This DVD should NOT have been released at
this time till it was done right. Chances are
you will be repurchasing this DVD in the next
few years when MGM gets around to doing it correctly.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Derek U

Stunt Coordinator
Well well well...
It seems that I've ignited quite the controversy. Thank you all for your help. I know that it's not the most economic approach, but given my OCD when it comes to DVD, I'll probably buy this one, and if and when a better one shows up, I'll go to ebay.
Thanks,
Derek

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, if the search function were working I could probably tell you, Ron. Seems to me though that that was information from Robert Harris; my apologies if I'm misattributing. I'll see if I can come up with some independent verification on this.
------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Mark,
The thread you are searching for is located here , and Mr. Harris' assertion is pretty much as you represented it. For die-hard fans of the film such as Ron and Steve, it is very frustrating what has happened to it. The laserdisc release was the closest to the roadshow release anyone has seen on video and in some ways, the new MGM release feels like a step back. It would have been nice if they had offered a branching option, but it would be even better if they commited resources to re-creating the roadshow version as completely as possible on film.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on September 05, 2001 at 09:59 AM]

Sam R. Aucoin

Stunt Coordinator
I finally received my "special restored edition" LD boxset of "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World".
I tried to perform a search for the post where Mr. Harris comments on how the "special restored edition" was, basically, a travesty, and was not done correctly.
(And this is not an attack on Mr. Harris - I am sure I am missing something here): At the beginning of the LD, a narrator specifically comments that shortly after the movie was released, it was cut before being shown nationwide. Then, the narrator says that SOME of the 70mm film elements of the cut footage (the remainder of the cut footage is apparently nowhere to be found) were found in a warehouse that was scheduled for demolition. Finally, the narrator specifically states that MGM, IN COOPERATION AND WITH STANLEY KRAMER, (producer and director - hard to find someone with more authority on a film than that) inserted 20 minutes of the lost footage to present us (that is, those who purchased the "restored" LD boxset) with the most complete version of the movie available on home video to date.
Given the above, how can anyone say that the inserted, previously cut scenes detract from the movie and basically "ruin" the movie? I find that an odd take, considering the producer/director himself had a hand in inserting the cut footage.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Given the above, how can anyone say that the inserted, previously cut scenes detract from the movie and basically "ruin" the movie?
The best source for an objective assessment of the re-edit's merits is probably not the studio trying to profit from it (neither is it a post from me on the HTF, for that matter :)). I believe that the extended LD version is the best they could do with the materials available and applaud them for involving Stanley Kramer in their efforts to sort out the mess.
Unfortunately, they did not have everything they needed to assemble even a very close approximation of the roadshow version properly. Does it detract from or ruin the movie? Not neccessarily in my opinion, but it isn't what Stanley Kramer would have done if more time, resources, and necessary materials had been available.
I think what everyone would want is a restored large format roadshow version that could play in theaters and also be used to create a bitchin DVD. Short of that, I have no problem with MGM doing a DVD of the theatrical version. I also have no problem with people who do not like this version passing on it until they can get what they feel is an improvement on their laserdisc version.
If MGM had been a little more creative with their presentation of the extended scenes (either using branching or at least some other way of creating a context for where they fit in the body of the film), it would have been nice, but at least they included them and kept the price very low for a disc with more than 4 hours of material on it.
They have 2 hours of supplements and are not calling it a special edition. They are calling it the "161-minute theatrical 35mm version" which is no more or less dubious than calling the laserdisc the "3 hour restored version". No one is being mis-led. It is what it is. Buy it or don't buy it.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Screw Laserdisk =)
I'll be buying this DVD for two reasons:
1. It will be the first time I've seen this movie since the mid 70s where I watched it on TV and fell in love with it on TV. I refused to get into laserdisk and this will be the best alternative to seeing this movie ever, and it will be 100x better than the TV version.
2. If it encourages MGM to do it right by getting a few sales for it, great. If it convinces MGM they can get away with putting subpar versions out, I'm guilty as charged, my only defense is #1 above.
Sam
------------------
I find your lack of faith... Disturbing.
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks