Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Wal-Mart has just crossed the line.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 OFFLINE   Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 08:18 AM

I work at Future Shop and one night while stocking more 'Hulk' on our display, one of a few customers came up asking if our Widescreen copies were "alright". Not fully understanding the question, I asked for a definition of "alright". Apparently, Wal-Mart had received both Widescreen and Full Screen versions and put both on display, only to find out that all of the Widescreen labeled copies were not: They were Full Screen! Every single one of their WS copies was "defective" and they therefore would not be selling any WS at all! After checking one of our copies, he was assured that ours' must be okay. Needless to say, more smart shoppers seemed to flock to Future Shop (our city is rather small, and we are pretty much THE other store) for a certified WIDESCREEN copy of the 'Hulk'.

I wonder how many Wal-Mart customers they lost that day...Posted Image
My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#2 of 13 OFFLINE   Jason Goodmanso

Jason Goodmanso

Stunt Coordinator

• 91 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 09:31 AM

I'll have to give props to the Puyallup Wal Mart - I was there today picking up Hulk (along with some sponges) and their display on the Hulk (as well as Indiana Jones) said:

Available in Widescreen (Director's vision) and Full Frame (cropped).

It's a start.

#3 of 13 OFFLINE   Lev-S

Lev-S

Second Unit

• 324 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 10:01 AM

That is impressive. I attempted something similar at my work and was unfortunately shot down. Blast these retail superstores!
My DVDs

Homer: So, Mr. Malloy, it seems that the cat has been caught by the very person who was trying to catch him.
Skinner: How ironic.

#4 of 13 OFFLINE   Jarrod Ferris

Jarrod Ferris

Agent

• 44 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 10:24 AM

I have no use for Wal-Mart, Futureshop, Best Buy, etc.
How can I respect any of these stores when they have no classic, western, or foreign sections (they're just mixed in - Dances With Wolves as a drama comes to mind). Futureshop mixes Criterion titles in with "special interest" items like wrestling and exercise videos, while Best Buy nestles Criterion titles in with boxed sets!?)

I'll take any intelligent specialty shop that has far more diverse selection, has them categorized properly, will special order titles, and with employees who know the difference between Peter Jackson and Stanley Kubrick. I swear, an employee at Futureshop tried to tell me that Kubrick is considering releasing all three Lord of The Ring films as one long movie next year. That might be tough for him to do.

Please. Gimmie a specialy shop filled with movie buffs and film geeks any day of the week.

#5 of 13 OFFLINE   Aaryn Chan

Aaryn Chan

Supporting Actor

• 511 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 10:32 AM

What's a "DIRECTOR" ?

#6 of 13 OFFLINE   Clay-F

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 10:37 AM

Personally, I hate any where that tries to catagorize dvd's or movies. All too often things are mixed up. I perfer just regular alphabetical order....

I noticed that my local Circuit City (or Circuit S**tty as I like to call it) had the Reloaded boxes mixed up. They had a spot marked "Widescreen" in big letters only to have that section filled with nothing but fullscreen copies. I had to dig around in the full screen section to find widescreen, then I put a few WS's in the right place.

Walmart at least carried both in plain view, although they were seperated by about 10 other dvd's. So you had Matrix2 FS, then about 5 feet over you had Matrix2 WS. Also, the FS stack was full and the WS was completely gone!

#7 of 13 OFFLINE   TonyTone

TonyTone

Supporting Actor

• 728 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 11:09 AM

Quote:
...then I put a few WS's in the right place.
Maybe you should consider working at Circuit City if you're gonna be that nice?Posted Image

#8 of 13 OFFLINE   Clay-F

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator

• 230 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 11:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe you should consider working at Circuit City if you're gonna be that nice?

If they'd pay me enough I would love to. Posted Image

#9 of 13 OFFLINE   Travis_W

Travis_W

Supporting Actor

• 531 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 01:21 PM

Wal-Mart really ticked me off yesterday, they only had twenty copies of Hulk (no display or anything) and it was 20 bucks! 20 bucks! After some thought I figured it was better to buy it there than to waste yet another trip to save four bucks. They did, however, have more widescreen than fullscreen.
I am Jack's empty signature bar.

#10 of 13 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 01:51 PM

Quote:
Wal-Mart really ticked me off yesterday, they only had twenty copies of Hulk (no display or anything) and it was 20 bucks! 20 bucks! After some thought I figured it was better to buy it there than to waste yet another trip to save four bucks. They did, however, have more widescreen than fullscreen.

My Wal-Mart had it for $20 bucks too. I have to shop there because it's the only store selling DVDs within 30 miles. But I just printed off my email from Best Buy advertising it for $15.99 and they price matched, no questions asked.

#11 of 13 OFFLINE   Greg*go

Greg*go

Supporting Actor

• 941 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 03:16 AM

It wsan't their fault they got shoddy merchandise, although it obviously favored your store. Hopefully someone at Walmart realized that they did indeed lose business because they didn't have the widescreen versions.

I also have to hand it to the Walmart by me. They seem to be carrying more widescreen now, and their price match policy is great.
I certainly don't expect anyone to remember me 65 years after I die, but you wouldn't know that from the way I act.

#12 of 13 OFFLINE   Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk

Screenwriter

• 2,833 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 04:38 AM

I buy all my DVDs from Walmart. Because they seem to sell the most so we need those WS sells to remind them that's the future. And they sell them cheap as dirt.

#13 of 13 OFFLINE   john mcfadden

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted October 30 2003 - 08:09 PM

Wal-Mart's not out of the foolscreen business just yet ! For the Indianna jones collection the display was 4 bays foolscreen and only one bay of Widescreen all the way at the bottom .....I saw someone with the foolscreen version in their cart and wanted to vomit

Forum Nav Content I Follow