What's new

Final Fantasy XI released today (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Hi all.

So, who's going to be playing this one? I'm still pretty entrenched in SWG but some of the changes that are just around the corner in that game don't excite me. I'm really considering buying this tonight with a couple trade-ins. I do tend to like the FF games and the genre in general, and most of what I have read has sounded interesting.

I do have a couple questions for those in the know:
1 - Based on what I saw on the official site, it looks like you can only have one character. It costs $1 more per month to have a second. Is this right? Not really a negative for me as I have gotten used to one character in SWG.
2 - Also on the official site I saw the various servers. Are these the same servers the Japanese players have been on? Or are we getting separate servers? Personally, I hope we are because I don't want to get in with maxed out characters from day 1.

Thanks!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
2 - Also on the official site I saw the various servers. Are these the same servers the Japanese players have been on? Or are we getting separate servers? Personally, I hope we are because I don't want to get in with maxed out characters from day 1.
They are the same servers as the Japanese release. No new servers were brought online for the US release.

Here is a chat transcript you may want to read:

Community Manager Chat

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
10 bucks??? Why are you in PA and not CA?!?!?! Actually, after trade-ins, I'm hoping to only pay about 20-25 bucks. If I would have brought all my trades I would have got it at lunch myself, but oh well.

One thing I want to clarify. If you use the World Pass thing to join another server, you're actually starting a new character there, right? How much do these World Passes cost? I hope it isn't so much that a starting player can't quickly change servers without a significant time investment on the first character.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Well, I tried to get it last night. Both stores I went to were sold out. I called another store and they had it, but it was too far out of the way (closer to wrok, so I wonder what I'm doing during my break....). I've heard about the hour to 90 minute download to start things off, but that's understandable I guess. I would like to hear some feedback from people who've played it. Romier? Morgan?

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
James,

I got my in the mail yesterday from EB.com. So I'm gonna be playing this one. Look me up. :) I'm gonna start a character tonight. I'll tell you which server/world I'm on. :)

We should designate an official server/world and a hometown for the HTF'ers :)

KC

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Might be easier said than done Kong, but I'd be glad to try to get to the server you are on. I just picked up the game during my break as well, though I'm not sure I'll get to play it tonight.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
We should designate an official server/world and a hometown for the HTF'ers
Problem is there is no way to guarentee we will all be on the same server. Not without having a good number of world passes to give out. (Im a problem solver though so dont worry;) )

Heres some impressions and some instructions on how we can all get together:

Impressions and more

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Don't worry James, I'll tell you my plans tonight after my anime meeting. I'll most likely install it tonight, set up my character and account as well, but play tomorrow night.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Romier - If you build it, I will come :). (ok,ok I know it doesn't exactly work but I didn't have anything else to go with :))
EDIT: I just read your impressions. If you build it, maybe I'll come....

Kong - I'm thinking about the same thing. I'll probably install this evening, then figure out whether I want to try this or do some SWG late night.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Sorry guys, but I have to skip this one. My PC sucks (it's a laptop with nothing near what you'd need) and I'm saving my cash for other stuff. I have a friend who got it and is probably going to start playing it tonight.

I might not even get the PS2 version. Seems like I'd need to play it a LOT for it to be worth it, and I won't have that much time for a while (work, school, social life).

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
My life pretty much goes between school (from 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM), homework (all afternoon after school), and work (pretty much my entire weekend, but Sunday night is for homework). Honestly, I didn't go on the internet after last Friday until Monday night.

Then again, I work at a movie theater and get to see free movies. :D

Besides all of that, I can't play the PC FFXI, and I don't want to spend $150 to get the PS2 version (don't have a NA yet).

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Romier,

You weren't kidding about the setup taking forever!! I think it took me like 2 hours to set this whole thing up!! Ugh, the pain of waiting and updating and setting up the account.

Sheesh, and you would think they make it easier for those of us who want to log in and just play.

KC

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Kong -

Did you manage to get on Romier's server? Do you intend to get on Romier's server? :)

I didn't get a chance to even install last night, so it will be late tonight at the earliest. I'm actually guessing that I probably won't get it installed until Monday.

I've done some research on races and jobs. Forgive me as I do not have all the names remembered yet. I'm leaning towards starting out with a Warrior character, so that means Elvaan, the big dog(?) race, or the cat race. The problem with the cats is that their vitality seems a bit low. I know that you can switch jobs, so it would seem that if I wanted to try magic the Elvaan would be better. Also, eventually you can have both a primary and a secondary job. I've heard that combining melee-magic doesn't work as well as melee-melee. Warrior/Samurai or Samurai/Warrior seems like a natural choice, though possibly Paladin (white magic) or Red Mage could work. I almost forgot about Dark Knight. Would Dark Knight/Samurai be a good choice? Any feedback would be appreciated. I've looked at a few sites but they haven't been all that helpful.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
More world passed for Fenrir. Get in on these quick if you want on the same server, they are limited use (only 5 people can use a world pass at a time from what I hear):

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
James,

I just found out my friends are on the Faery/Fairy server. So I hope I land in there. Since they don't have world passes yet (I think). Too bad I can't just pick and choose. I heard if you play for awhile, you can rack some money to buy a world pass. So that's what I'm gonna do, buy tons of world passes for my friends. :)

I don't know if you have played Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Advance, but the cat creature (forgot the name) has some great uses. She can use those long lances and spears and stuff and her attacks are deadly. The big dog creature (forgot the name) can be used as monks or beastmaster. I prefer monks for those creatures.

For me, I kinda wanna be a summoner. But to do that, I have to be a red magic wielder, I think, and for starting a game as a wizard w/o companions...magic users suck w/o warrior companions.

You can have 2nd jobs, but you want to change it when your 1st job character is at a higher level. The reason is that once you have a 2nd job, all your xps go into the 2nd job and not the first. You can still use some of the skills and attributes of the 1st job, but it's at whatever level that job is at. Your 2nd job will start you back down to level 1 again while your 1st job will retain it's last previous current level before the changeover.

I am not sure if the MMO will allow more than 2 jobs, but in previous FF games, you can actually take all professions and max each one out to the point where your characters are walking demi-gods. :) *hehehehehe*

If you're thinking of becoming a magic user...white magic is so freaking weak until you get an attack spell, until then all you do is heal...heal, and more heal...boring. Dark magic is where the fun is at, or you can combine both and become a red mage (I'm surprised they don't have blue mages available).

But it is true, to get the most benefit of your professions you want to keep it similar. Fighter to fighter, magic user to magic user, etc.

I'm not sure what I want to start off as. Hmm.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks