-

Photo
- - - - -

no more 2.0 mixes?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Franklin

Franklin

Agent

• 29 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 03:44 AM

it seems to me that most recent DVD releases no longer offer a standard 2.0 audio mix and plays in 5.1 by default. this is fine when i'm watching discs on my setup, but more often than not im watching a flick on a friend's or the family TV that uses only the basic setup. the sound is unbalanced and dialoge is hard to hear. if there isn't a 2.0 mix available on the disc, such as on the new Indy box, is there a way to get an even sound through a standard TV? thanks!

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

• 628 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 04:18 AM

I'm by no means an expert, but I think Dolby's website says that the 5.1 signal "downmixes" to stereo 2.0 signal when necessary.

I got this from the Dolby website:

7. Can I hear 5.1-channel Dolby Digital programs over a regular stereo or Dolby Surround Pro Logic system?

Yes. All Dolby Digital decoders, whether 5.1-channel or two-channel, have a unique feature called "downmixing" that assures full compatibility with any playback system. At your option, the decoder will create "on the fly" from 5.1-channel programs a two-channel, Dolby Surround-encoded mix for playback over a home theater system with Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoding; a two-channel stereo mix for regular stereo and headphone playback; or a mono mix for playback over a mono TV set. See Figure 7-1.

This makes it possible for producers of 5.1-channel programs to provide only the one 5.1-channel mix on the disc or other source. The decoder in the playback system does the rest, automatically conforming the signal to the particular playback circumstances. Note: downmixing is not used for laser discs because they contain three different soundtracks: stereo PCM for a conventional stereo or Dolby Surround mix; one FM track for a mono mix; and one FM track for a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital mix. Frequently these mixes are prepared at different times, even by different mixers, so can sound quite different from each other.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 06:29 AM

Franklin,

All DVD players offer a downconverted two-channel analog mix through the L/R RCA jacks. The analog jacks are active all the time; no menu option is required. This is not the same as a 2.0 option – that only goes out of the digital (coaxial or optical) output, so you can’t access it through a TV or basic Pro-Logic system anyway.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   John Garcia

John Garcia

Executive Producer

• 11,540 posts
  • LocationNorCal

Posted October 29 2003 - 06:53 AM

There are very few 2.0 mixes because it is very rare to see movies mixed this way anymore.
HT: Emotiva UMC-200, Emotiva XPA-3, Carnegie Acoustics CSB-1s + CSC-1, GR Research A/V-1s, Epik Empire, Oppo BDP-105, PS4, PS3,URC R-50, APC-H10, Panamax 5100 Bluejeans Cable
System Two: Marantz PM7200, Pioneer FS52s, Panasonic BD79
(stolen) : Marantz SR-8300, GR Research A/V-2s, Sony SCD-222ES SACD, Panasonic BD-65, PS3 60G (250G)

Everybody is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it’ll spend its whole life believing that it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein