What's new

All 4 "Airport" Films From Universal -- Coming February 10th (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
The "Airport Terminal Pack" coming on 02/10/2004. :) ......

From DVD File:

>> "...New catalog announcements from Universal Studios Home Video. On February 10th comes the Airport Terminal Pack, featuring the four famous Airport disaster classics - Airport, Airport '75, Airport '77 and - for the first time on DVD - The Concorde: Airport '79. All feature new anamorphic widescreen transfers and no extras. Retail has not yet been set, but stay tuned. I know you can hardly wait..."

A shame about the "No Extras" part. I wonder if at least the Trailers will be included?

I'm doubting it'll be worth the double-dip if you've already got the Good Times releases, which look A-OK to me (esp. the March 2001 Anamorphic original film, "Airport").

Hardly seems worth upgrading to just get "Concorde '79" (which is horrendous). Maybe worth it for a few laughs. :)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
These releases will all be from Universal and will be new anamorphic tranfers. These should definately look better than the low budget Goodtimes label. Airport 77 for one was incredibly dark. I had to crank the contrast nearly all the up on some scenes. I will definately pick this up. The set is suppossed to have a low retail price so it doesn't look like they will be available seperately.

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I'm really looking forward to this set. In my opinion, Goodtimes' "Digitally Mastered 30th Anniversary Widescreen Edition" of Airport(which was anamorphically enhanced)looked very clean and very sharp. This release seemed like quite a pleasant surprise back in early 2001 since I don't believe there was ever any announcement or information on it prior to it showing up on the budget release shelves of some retailers. Prior to this, Goodtimes put out an inferior P&S version of the film. I wouldn't mind at all if Universal uses the same transfer(which they probably will). The Goodtimes versions of Airport 1975 and Airport '77 where in non-amamorphic widescreen and where too dark. They also exhibited what I believe are called compression artifacts in a number of scenes. New anamorphic widescreen transfers done by Universal would be most welcome. The Concorde:Airport '79 has never been on DVD(one of the all-time unintentionally funny movies in film history:)) It is a shame that, once again, we will get no extras with these movies:frowning:

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Not even a trailer for the films? That strikes me as a gyp. I'll probably not upgrade. Airport '77 would benefit from its TV footage included as a supplement because without it, the film is really a bit of an incomprehensible mess. I only watch my off-air recording that uses the TV cut.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
CONCORDE: AIRPORT 79 was also expanded for TV showings, but not to the extent that 77 was. I wish they'd include that footage on the DVDs as well as the theatrical versions.

jonathan_little

Stunt Coordinator
That's great. I've got both Airport 1975 and Airport '77 on Goodtimes DVDs and they both have horrid non-anamorphic transfers with jagged edges galore. I'll definitely upgrade if the price isn't stratospheric.

StevenFC

Second Unit
I just want the original. Maybe I can find that Goodtimes version somewhere. It's the only one I saw in the theatres.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
these films were huge when i was a kid, and i've got the GT versions of Airport and Airport '75.
i've just been thinking recently how much i would have like to have seen Concorde ('79), but the odds against that showing up on disc would be astronomical.
i wish they were all going to get their own disc and cases (and i really wish Universal would put the trailers on these-is that really so much to ask?), but i probably have to pick this up-
the reviews i've read for Concorde have been hilarious.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Airport 1975 ... horrid non-anamorphic transfers...
I thought "1975" looked pretty decent for a non-A Goodtimes variant. However, it still makes me curious as to how much better an enhanced version will look.

BTW....Does Goodtimes now NOT have the rights to re-issue these Universal movies (if they had an inkling to in the future), since Universal is coming out with a set under its own brand name? Or was the Goodtimes contract to distribute these films just for XXX amount of time? (I don't understand some of these distribution wranglings.)

Mark Pytel

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Pytel
If you want the deleted scenes from the two movies on the dvd's then go and send universal an e-mail. That is what I did. I am not sure if it will work, or if I even sent it to the proper area, but is is worth a shot. I also reemed them a new one about theor fullscreen only cartoon titles such as American Tail, and Land before time. We need to start a petition or an e-mail group for this. Maybe we can be heard!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Airport '77 would benefit from its TV footage included
Yes...that'd be a nice bonus.

Anybody ever watch "'77" on commercial TV? With the horrid dubs to eliminate expletives? Yikes! :frowning:

"You miserable son-of-a-BULL, I'll take you apart!" :laugh:

The TV variant of Airport 1975 is missing a few scenes from the theatrical cut (unlike Airport '77, which has ADDED scenes for TV).

The scene in "1975" that shows Gloria Swanson, et al, being transported via one of those vehicles that rolls right up to the aircraft (unique to Dulles in Washington I think) is cut on some prints. As is a scene in which Conrad Janis storms the cockpit after the "mid-air".

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
Quite true on the bad dubs, but almost all of the contextual scenes that enable the plot to make sense are missing in the theatrical cut that explain the robbery, and co-pilot Robert Foxworth's involvement and how they're pulling it off. George Kennedy doesn't even show up until long after the plane crashes in the theatrical version whereas in the TV version (which was the only one I was familiar with growing up from its many airings on NBC in the 80s) he has a gaggle of scenes before that.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Two e-stores have the "Terminal Pack" up for pre-order already. (Only a $24.98 MSRP!)

Incredibly cheap HERE (a mere $4.37 per film!). :eek:

DeepDiscount has it pretty cheap too (under 20 clams).

Hard to pass up 4 films (in Anamorphic Widescreen) at these rock-bottom prices.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I would only be interested in the first one.
I can see your position vividly, Oscar. But at these garage-sale prices, it's hard...to...resist buying "Patroni x 4"!! :D

In addition, DDD will no doubt undercut the lowest current price on release date...so it'll be even cheaper.

How can Universal release FOUR separate movies (on 4 discs) so dirt cheap? (Possibly we'll be getting those new-fangled, disposable, eat-the-disc-for-lunch-and-save-on-calories papier-mache style discettes.) :D

"I think you should tell them [your airline chefs], my dear, that often elderly people can't tolerate garlic. ... Gives them gas." -- Ada Quonsett (Battle-ax At Large aboard Flight Two to Rome) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
This sub-$25 MRP makes me wonder if the movies will be packed in separate keepcases, or (possibly) packaged in a DigiPack thingie (like "The Simpsons"), with one movie placed on each of 4 hubs within a single gatefold. (Wouldn't a single unit be cheaper for the manufacturer?)

Or ... Another possibility would be: placing more than one film on a single disc; thus reducing cost.

Airport Food for thought.

*strokes chin, wondering*

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
With a brief bit of research, I just answered my own question (above), re. the case type / disc number.

The "Terminal Pack" WILL, indeed, be packaged in a "DigiPak" case. And the 4 films will be on just TWO discs. (So, I'd guess that means the dreaded dual-sided platters; with no disc art. :frowning:)

More Data Straight From Universal.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks