Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Neverending Story Update

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 of 29 OFFLINE   Zack Scott

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator

• 199 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 09:02 AM

I was cruising DVD Planet just a few minutes ago and I looked up the Neverending story just to see if Warner's F***ed us again with giving us a full screen verison of the film. At first it looked like it cause on the product info my widescreen ansewer wasn't ansewered but then I clicked on the enlageed back graphic and there it was "Widescreen and Full screen availible".

SO to say again The Neverending story is In widescreen and animorphic to boot!!!!!

#2 of 29 OFFLINE   Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 09:39 AM

This has been discussed here for a while, but thanks for reitterating the news! Always nice to hear!
---------------------------------------------
Support Film Preservation before it's too late!
---------------------------------------------

#3 of 29 OFFLINE   cafink

cafink

Producer

• 3,043 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 09:57 AM

I picked it up after school today, it is indeed widescreen, a DVD-10 with a pan-and-scan version on the flipside. No worthwhile extras aside from the trailer, but the film looks gorgeous.

On a related topic, another forum member mentioned a rumor that the scene where
Spoiler:
Artax dies
would be cut. The scene is indeed present on the DVD, but I haven't seen this movie in years, and I can't tell from memory if it's completely intact or not. It looks more or less like I remember, though there's a somewhat abrupt fade in there.

I'm pretty sure there's no substance to this rumor (Warner isn't known for this sort of thing, unlike, say, Disney), but now that the disc is out there, could someone who's more familiar with the film than I confirm that it's uncut and set my mind at ease?

#4 of 29 OFFLINE   DavidS

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 01:44 PM

hi,

Being a fan of the film, it looks as if the scene to which you are referring is completely intact. Not to mention I LOVE the widescreen version of this film! I haven't seen this film in all its 2.35:1 glory since I saw it in the theatre! Even the trailer is 2.35:1 anamorphic (on the widescreen side).

Funny though, on the pan-n-scan side, the trailer 1s 2.35:1 NON-anamorphic. (shrugs)

In addition, this pan-n-scan transfer has completely different (re-done) opening and end credits than the widescreen side of the disc. The old pan-n-scan VHS transfers I've seen have squeezed the anamorphic credits to fill the whole screen.

Some of the panning-n-scanning is framed different than in older VHS versions, too. For instance, I remember an old VHS transfer where in the first scene with the bullies, they panned between the three of them. In this version, they only stick to the two bullies on the right.

I guess it doesn't matter anyway... I'm probably never going to watch the "standard" version again, if I can help it.

David

-David Shetterly
Rocky Horror Picture Show Official Fan Club
Vice President / www.RockyHorror.com Webmaster

#5 of 29 OFFLINE   Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 02:39 PM

Quote:
In addition, this pan-n-scan transfer has completely different (re-done) opening and end credits than the widescreen side of the disc.

How different? Care to explain? I haven't received my disc yet. Posted Image

Also, the widescreen starts off with a cartoon right?

#6 of 29 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 03:44 PM

Quote:
How different? Care to explain? I haven't received my disc yet.

I'll explain it for them. Posted Image Instead of the opening credits being "squeezed" like in previous pan & scan versions, the credits are "normal" looking (and look like the credits seen in the widescreen version).

Now for the closing credits, the credits look totally re-done (same exact credits, but it looks like a new font, etc). You'll see what I mean when your copy arrives.

Quote:
Also, the widescreen starts off with a cartoon right?

That's with NeverEnding Story 2 (if the cartoon is even on the DVD).

------------------
Posted Image
DVD In Detail - DVD Reviewer
My DVD Collection / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

#7 of 29 OFFLINE   John_McKittrick

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator

• 226 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:03 PM

I picked this one up today at Best Buy for $14.99. The transfer is totally incredible. It's as if the movie was made this summer. Gotta love Morla the Ancient One.

John
Long Live XBox and DVD!!

#8 of 29 OFFLINE   Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:04 PM

Hmm, I thought NeverEnding Story in theaters started off with a short cartoon, then movie. I thought this was going to be on the DVD?

No biggie by the way though. Posted Image

#9 of 29 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:50 PM

Well I got this disc today and its wonderful.

On a side note I was wondering if anyone can help me with a question I've had since I saw this for the first time in the theater. What the heck is Bashton's Mothers name?!? It's been a mystery bugging me for years and I just about fell out of my chair when the subtitles didn't say it arrrrgggg! Talk about drive you to the looney bin and back.
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Dean

#10 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 04:51 PM

It's "Moon Child."

#11 of 29 OFFLINE   Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 05:11 PM

It gives me great joy that the transfer is clean according to those who own this title. I can't wait for it this week! More excited and extremely happy Warner did right on the widescreen ratio! Posted Image

Man, imagine all that stress I had to live with if it was only in pan and scam. Posted Image

Glad my nightmare is over!

#12 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor

• 530 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 05:33 PM

Yea, the transfer is great. The first time you'll probably say "WOW" is when the racing snail appears on screen. It has never looked so colorful.

The ONLY problem with the picture is the age of the print. Once in a while there is some grain or a hair or two on the print, but that is in no way a problem with the transfer and only has to do with the movie being almost 18 years old and probably not much attention paid to it.

There are moments in the transfer where the film is just so clear, its incredible.

#13 of 29 OFFLINE   Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor

• 975 posts

Posted September 04 2001 - 05:46 PM

Quote:
"It's "Moon Child."

Thanks! You don't know how much that was bugging me Posted Image
I think I just got a better grip back on to sanity there, whew. Posted Image

Dean

#14 of 29 OFFLINE   Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,636 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted September 04 2001 - 11:03 PM

Dean

I think the "Moon Child" response is a joke. I don't believe that was his mothers name. Posted Image
BTW, I think the transfer is wonderful, however the audio is severely lacking, and on my Sony 925 receiver, seems recorded too low.

Still a great film that still holds up today.

------------------

Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#15 of 29 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 12:40 AM

Dean, isn't the film based on a book? I'd guess that if we're ever meant to know what his mother's name is then it'll be in there. Otherwise treat it like what the guy says at the end of Radiohead's 'Just' video. ;-)

I remember wondering that the last few times I saw it but I think I just assumed I'd failed to hear, not that there was a deliberate attempt to stop it being revealed.

Theo

#16 of 29 OFFLINE   TheoGB

TheoGB

Screenwriter

• 1,753 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 12:44 AM

Well I never. Moonchild it is...

According to this script:
http://www.geocities...max/SCRIPT.html

Of course, it doesn't seem to be 100% official but it is linked to by some other sites.

Theo

#17 of 29 OFFLINE   Joel C

Joel C

Screenwriter

• 1,635 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 02:03 AM

Weren't you listening? This is oft quoted by us '80s kids.

"Bastian please! Call my name!"

"I can't!"

"Bastian! Save us!"

"All right! I'll do it!"

"Ay-ya-yi-yah!"

There you have it. Her name is clearly Ayayiah. Pretty! Posted Image

Seriously, though, this is supposed to be a myster (and what he says clearly has more syllables than "Moon Child").

------------------
Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Joel
woemcats@hotmail.com
"Why I laugh?"

#18 of 29 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 02:24 AM

Actually, it IS "Moon Child." The last time I saw the movie (a couple months ago), I listened closely, and I HEARD him scream "Moon Child!" It's completely audible.

#19 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor

• 755 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 02:32 AM

I watched some of this last night in my exhausted state and was impressed. Despite it being a single layered disc, quality was exceptional. I am looking forward to disabling SVM on my HDTV so that I can watch this without the damned halos.

------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

#20 of 29 OFFLINE   Roland Wandinger

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator

• 224 posts

Posted September 05 2001 - 04:08 AM

Quote:
There you have it. Her name is clearly Ayayiah.

Her name has to be "Moon Child"! In the German version (which I have seen about 20 time when I was a child) he says something like "Mond Kind" (very audible) which translates to english as "Moon Child"!
If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed!

Back to Archived Threads 2001-2004

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow