What's new

Neverending Story Update (1 Viewer)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
I was cruising DVD Planet just a few minutes ago and I looked up the Neverending story just to see if Warner's F***ed us again with giving us a full screen verison of the film. At first it looked like it cause on the product info my widescreen ansewer wasn't ansewered but then I clicked on the enlageed back graphic and there it was "Widescreen and Full screen availible".
SO to say again The Neverending story is In widescreen and animorphic to boot!!!!!

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
This has been discussed here for a while, but thanks for reitterating the news! Always nice to hear!

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I picked it up after school today, it is indeed widescreen, a DVD-10 with a pan-and-scan version on the flipside. No worthwhile extras aside from the trailer, but the film looks gorgeous.
On a related topic, another forum member mentioned a rumor that the scene where Spoiler:Artax dies would be cut. The scene is indeed present on the DVD, but I haven't seen this movie in years, and I can't tell from memory if it's completely intact or not. It looks more or less like I remember, though there's a somewhat abrupt fade in there.
I'm pretty sure there's no substance to this rumor (Warner isn't known for this sort of thing, unlike, say, Disney), but now that the disc is out there, could someone who's more familiar with the film than I confirm that it's uncut and set my mind at ease?

DavidS

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
D.
hi,
Being a fan of the film, it looks as if the scene to which you are referring is completely intact. Not to mention I LOVE the widescreen version of this film! I haven't seen this film in all its 2.35:1 glory since I saw it in the theatre! Even the trailer is 2.35:1 anamorphic (on the widescreen side).
Funny though, on the pan-n-scan side, the trailer 1s 2.35:1 NON-anamorphic. (shrugs)
In addition, this pan-n-scan transfer has completely different (re-done) opening and end credits than the widescreen side of the disc. The old pan-n-scan VHS transfers I've seen have squeezed the anamorphic credits to fill the whole screen.
Some of the panning-n-scanning is framed different than in older VHS versions, too. For instance, I remember an old VHS transfer where in the first scene with the bullies, they panned between the three of them. In this version, they only stick to the two bullies on the right.
I guess it doesn't matter anyway... I'm probably never going to watch the "standard" version again, if I can help it.
David

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
In addition, this pan-n-scan transfer has completely different (re-done) opening and end credits than the widescreen side of the disc.
How different? Care to explain? I haven't received my disc yet.
frown.gif

Also, the widescreen starts off with a cartoon right?

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Also, the widescreen starts off with a cartoon right?
That's with NeverEnding Story 2 (if the cartoon is even on the DVD).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

John_McKittrick

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this one up today at Best Buy for $14.99. The transfer is totally incredible. It's as if the movie was made this summer. Gotta love Morla the Ancient One.
John

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, I thought NeverEnding Story in theaters started off with a short cartoon, then movie. I thought this was going to be on the DVD?
No biggie by the way though. :D

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
Well I got this disc today and its wonderful.
On a side note I was wondering if anyone can help me with a question I've had since I saw this for the first time in the theater. What the heck is Bashton's Mothers name?!? It's been a mystery bugging me for years and I just about fell out of my chair when the subtitles didn't say it arrrrgggg! Talk about drive you to the looney bin and back.
confused.gif
crazy.gif
confused.gif

Dean

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
It gives me great joy that the transfer is clean according to those who own this title. I can't wait for it this week! More excited and extremely happy Warner did right on the widescreen ratio!
icon14.gif

Man, imagine all that stress I had to live with if it was only in pan and scam.
frown.gif

Glad my nightmare is over!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Yea, the transfer is great. The first time you'll probably say "WOW" is when the racing snail appears on screen. It has never looked so colorful.
The ONLY problem with the picture is the age of the print. Once in a while there is some grain or a hair or two on the print, but that is in no way a problem with the transfer and only has to do with the movie being almost 18 years old and probably not much attention paid to it.
There are moments in the transfer where the film is just so clear, its incredible.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Dean
I think the "Moon Child" response is a joke. I don't believe that was his mothers name. :)
BTW, I think the transfer is wonderful, however the audio is severely lacking, and on my Sony 925 receiver, seems recorded too low.
Still a great film that still holds up today.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Dean, isn't the film based on a book? I'd guess that if we're ever meant to know what his mother's name is then it'll be in there. Otherwise treat it like what the guy says at the end of Radiohead's 'Just' video. ;-)
I remember wondering that the last few times I saw it but I think I just assumed I'd failed to hear, not that there was a deliberate attempt to stop it being revealed.
Theo

Joel C

Screenwriter
Weren't you listening? This is oft quoted by us '80s kids.
"Bastian please! Call my name!"
"I can't!"
"Bastian! Save us!"
"All right! I'll do it!"

"Ay-ya-yi-yah!"
There you have it. Her name is clearly Ayayiah. Pretty! :)
Seriously, though, this is supposed to be a myster (and what he says clearly has more syllables than "Moon Child").
------------------
Joel
[email protected]
"I've been very lonely in my isolated tower of indecipherable speech."
digitallyOBSESSED

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
Actually, it IS "Moon Child." The last time I saw the movie (a couple months ago), I listened closely, and I HEARD him scream "Moon Child!" It's completely audible.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I watched some of this last night in my exhausted state and was impressed. Despite it being a single layered disc, quality was exceptional. I am looking forward to disabling SVM on my HDTV so that I can watch this without the damned halos.
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks