Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"Rod Roddy, come on up!" RIP

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 of 14 OFFLINE   Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

• 1,887 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 01:54 PM

Another legend gone

Posted Image

Chris

#2 of 14 OFFLINE   Paul Drake

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator

• 240 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 02:10 PM

Here's the text version of this article. 'Price is Right' announcer Rod Roddy dies By RYAN PEARSON LOS ANGELES -- Rod Roddy, "The Price is Right" announcer who invited audience members to "Come on down!" and play on the game show, died Monday. He was believed to be 66. Roddy, who suffered from colon and breast cancer, died at Century City Hospital, according to his longtime agent, Don Pitts. He had been hospitalized for two months. "He had such a strong spirit. He just wouldn't give up," Pitts said Monday. Roddy had been ill for more than two years but continued to work as much as possible and for as long as he could, said Bob Barker, host of "The Price is Right." Roddy had been with the game show for 17 years. "We all admired his courage," Barker said last week. "He was always upbeat and hopeful." Barker recounted a recent visit to his friend: "I went to the hospital and sat on the edge of his bed and we laughed the whole time we were talking. He was still having fun." Roddy, who taped his last show about two months ago, had colon cancer surgery on Sept. 11, 2001, and his left breast removed last March. The diseases appeared under control following chemotherapy but flared up again, Pitts said. The two cancers, which Roddy had said were unconnected, prompted him to become a spokesman for early detection. "I could have prevented all this with a colonoscopy and, of course, that's the campaign I've been on since I had the first surgery," he said in a recent interview on a CBS Web site. Breast cancer, although typically associated with women, is diagnosed in about 1,500 American men a year, Roddy said in the CBS interview: "To everybody out there, 'Get a mammogram!' It can happen to men, too." Roddy, whose real name was Robert Ray Roddy, was born Sept. 18, 1937, in Fort Worth, Texas, Pitts said. According to CBS, his birth year was 1936, which would make him 67. He was a graduate of Texas Christian University and a popular disc jockey in Texas when he decided to expand his career in Hollywood, his agent recalled. Roddy's versatility made him a popular voice-over artist for commercials in Los Angeles, Pitts said. He got his big break in television with the 1977-81 satire "Soap." Disc jockey Casey Kasem, who was the first announcer on the risque series, decided he didn't want to stay with it and asked Pitts if he knew someone who could take over. "I said, 'I've got a guy who's terrific,'" Pitts said. "Rod started with 'Soap' and then his career took off." His announcing stints included "Love Connection" (1981-85) and "Press Your Luck" (1983-86), but "The Price is Right" earned him his greatest fame. He was known for his booming, jovial voice - and flashy attire. "He started wearing those jackets when he joined the show," Barker said. "He was quite a character. He was important to the success of the show. He had the spirit of `The Price Is Right.' It's a fun show. We did it with the hope people will forget their problems for awhile." Roddy was single. The only family member he talked about his mother, who died several years ago, Pitts said. Funeral plans were not immediately announced.

#3 of 14 OFFLINE   Benjamin.D

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 12:50 AM

What a shamed. He really fought against the cancer, but he lost. My condolences to his family and friends. We lost a broadcasting legend. Ben

#4 of 14 OFFLINE   Bob-N

Bob-N

Supporting Actor

• 915 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 04:03 AM

Do you remember the original(?) announcer guy? I think his name was Gene. He was my favorite announcer. Bob sure has gone through a bunch of beauties and two announcers and still is going strong.

#5 of 14 OFFLINE   Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 04:28 AM

I've watched The Price is Right since I was a kid and I always loved hearing him say "Come on down...". I'll miss that jovial voice. Rest in peace, Rod. Posted Image
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#6 of 14 OFFLINE   Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 05:05 AM

[quote] Do you remember the original(?) announcer guy? I think his name was Gene. He was my favorite announcer. Bob sure has gone through a bunch of beauties and two announcers and still is going strong. [quote]

Johnny Olsen was the original announcer for Price Is Right ... I've been watching ever since I was 4 or 5 (my Grandma got me started when I was visiting ... Posted Image) I always liked Rod Roddy ... he'll be missed ...

Bryan

#7 of 14 OFFLINE   todd stone

todd stone

Screenwriter

• 1,768 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 07:26 AM

when Bob goes.... do you think the show will continue?
Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers, Lo, there do I see the line of my people, back to the beginning, Lo, they do call to me, they bid me take my place among them, In the halls of Valhalla,where the brave may live...

#8 of 14 OFFLINE   Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor

• 712 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 08:56 AM

I thought Bert Convy was being groomed as a replacement years ago, and that Bob Barker had considered retiring and handing the reigns over to him. After he passed, Bob decided to stick with it. I can't imagine anyone else doing it, to be honest.

#9 of 14 OFFLINE   MishaLauenstein

MishaLauenstein

Supporting Actor

• 588 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted October 29 2003 - 07:03 AM

Okay, everybody. Let's by the DVD of SOAP: Season One for Rod Roddy and Gordon Jump. Misha
40% Ben Katz + 30% Bobby Hill (Texas) + 20% Monica Geller + 10% William Dent. (Wardrobe by George Costanza)

#10 of 14 OFFLINE   ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 11:19 AM

He was a big part of my childhood. RIP.

#11 of 14 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 609 posts
  • LocationHancock, MA - The Berkshires

Posted October 29 2003 - 01:53 PM

[quote] Do you remember the original(?) announcer guy? I think his name was Gene. He was my favorite announcer. [quote]

You may be thinking of Gene Rayburn who was the announcer on a lot of game shows and also the host of Beat The Clock.
Dave

#12 of 14 OFFLINE   Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 05:17 AM

[quote] You may be thinking of Gene Rayburn who was the announcer on a lot of game shows and also the host of Beat The Clock [quote]

And even more well known as the host of Match Game!

RIP, Rod!
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#13 of 14 OFFLINE   Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted October 31 2003 - 05:25 AM

[quote] You may be thinking of Gene Rayburn who was the announcer on a lot of game shows and also the host of Beat The Clock. [quote]

As Randy mentioned, Gene Rayburn was the host of Match Game ... you were probably thinking of Gene Wood - longtime announcer for a ton of game shows (Password, Card Sharks, Win, Lose Or Draw, Concentration, Love Connection, etc....)

Bryan

#14 of 14 OFFLINE   David_Jr

David_Jr

Supporting Actor

• 609 posts
  • LocationHancock, MA - The Berkshires

Posted October 31 2003 - 02:36 PM

Correction, I did in fact mean Gene Wood.
Dave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users