-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Additional AC circuit questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 of 5 Marty Garner

Marty Garner

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone had thoughts on additional AC wiring.

I currently have one dedicated 15 amp circuit that is powering my home theater system. My system currently consists of a 7.1 setup with a receiver, an additional amp, a 42" widescreen tv and the usual assortment of other equipment.

I'm planning on adding either a dlp or lcd projector(to replace the widescreen tv), for which I'll need an outlet in the ceiling. I would possibly like to add some additional lighting and maybe some more equipment down the road.

So, my question to any and all is, what are the recommendations from HT folks like ourselves?

I was planning on having a new 15amp circuit added for the outlet in the ceiling as well as some additional plugs so I can balance the load between the two circuits. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading the long question.
Marty

#2 of 5 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 04:49 AM

Hi Marty,

First, welcome to the Forum!

“Load balancing” is not necessary. You’ve done the right thing keeping all your gear on a dedicated circuit – you don’t want to change that. If you don’t think your current circuit is sufficient to also carry the projector, than run a new circuit for it, connected at the service panel to the same phase as the existing circuit.

Whatever you do, don’t add extra outlets for non-HT use to either circuit. If you need other outlets, run another circuit for them. If your lighting circuit is going to include the use of dimmers, make sure that circuit is on the [b]opposite phase[b/] from the HT equipment.

You might want to do a search on “dedicated circuit.” You’ll turn up enough reading to keep you busy for days. Posted Image

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#3 of 5 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 06:09 AM

I ran two dedicated 20amp lines to my HT. One line feeds all the gear, including the FP. The other is for lighting, air-conditioning and misc electrical.

You can add the FP to your existing dedicated line by just splitting off your existing line and add a second for all lighting and such.

Peace Out~Posted Image
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#4 of 5 Marty Garner

Marty Garner

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 02:31 PM

Thanks guys! I will do some more research before I have any work done.

Marty

#5 of 5 Brooks

Brooks

Extra

• 22 posts

Posted October 29 2003 - 04:27 AM

One quick note.

Don't make the mistake of using a larger breaker (like 20 A) on the existing circuit unless you are sure that all the wire is 12ga or larger and all the outlets are 20A capable - they will have the horizontal cut in one of the recesses for the powered legs of the plugs.