What's new

Lion's Gate purchases Artisan... Will this affect their DVDs? (1 Viewer)

John Simon

Second Unit
I noticed on Coming Soon that Lion's Gate has purchased Artisan for $160 million. Anyone care to speculate if this will have some effect on Artisan's DVDs? I'm hoping perhaps it could mean that Artisan DVDs no longer require 15 rereleases to get a title right. But then again, maybe Lion's Gate will want to up some revenue, resulting in the inevitable Terminator 2: Judgement Day - Ultra Super Duper Edition. ;)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
Lion's Gate is one of my favourite studios. I'm SOOO happy that they bought Artisan. Maybe now, they'll re-release these Artisan tiles in their OAR and with perfect picture quality. I have about 20 Lion's Gate DVDs and all of them have reference quality. BEST STUDIO EVER!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Know at least one guy over at Lions Gate.

If he has any pull there, the studio will
do a GREAT job with Artisan product.

Lions Gate is a studio that really cares about
the quality of product they put out.

They also read this forum religiously.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Republic library will revert to Paramount, who already seems to have materials ready or being prepared for the near future.

It's wonderful to know that Lion's Gate will have Artisan...perhaps we'll finally see some Laurel & Hardy DVD's that have quality to them.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Now if we could only sort out the Twin Peaks rights issues, maybe we'll see a release sometime this millennium.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
In this case, I have some new digging to do for the original Animated TMNT release on DVD over at Lions Gate. I Pray they put more thought into it than artisan was planning to, buy not putting out an edited version of the show as their first release...

Jo_C

Second Unit
Correct me, Patrick McCart, but if 2005 is the year Republic's library reverts to Paramount, then Lions Gate has one year to prepare a Signature Edition of "It's A Wonderful Life" (of course, Frank Capra is in another dimension now, so maybe Capra Jr. will lend his name). Artisan promised this last year, but it never came (it didn't come this year either).

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
There's a bunch of Artisan titles I've been hoping will get re-released, hopefully this acquisition will expedite that.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if this will have any impact on Artisan's support of the D-Theater format??

Lions Gate is a studio that really cares about
the quality of product they put out.

They also read this forum religiously.
Really?

If so, I hope they read this:

PLEASE continue to support the D-Theater format (at least until we have a good disc based alternative for movies in High Definition)!

:)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
I do hope that the Lions Gate acquisition means an upswing in DVD quality and better attention to second-tier titles. But here's something that gives me the jibblies. Look at what former libraries Lions Gate has in their coffers now:

IVE/Live/Artisan
Vestron
Vidmark/Trimark
Cinepix Film Properties
Sterling/Studio/Avalanche
Cabin Fever (didn't Artisan pick up their meager assets long ago?)
Hallmark (though this is more of a distribution agreement, not an actual ownership matter)
Republic (until 2005 anyway)

It ain't no Miramax or New Line, granted, but this means that almost all the old indie shingles that MGM didn't inherit, they've got now.

[exaggerated Scots brogue]THEY'RE FREAKIN' HOOOOGE!!![/exaggerated Scots brogue]

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Isn't Trimark the one who owns "All of Me"

That title is a travesty in Pan and Scan - It NEEDS to be redone in Widescreen!

One of the biggest disappointments in my collection (I bought it before I knew what widescreen was :) )

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This may be the best DVD news of the year, and that's saying alot!

I have refused to buy any Artisan DVDs for over a year now, and there have been several that I really wanted and several more scheduled that I was interested in. I've always been impressed with Lion's Gate's DVDs and hopefully they can bring some order to the catastrophic mess that is Artisan.

Thank You Lion's Gate!!

Real Name
Anthony
I can't believe the unthusiasm about Lion's Gate. What about the recent IRREVERSIBLE fiasco ? What about the INTACTO mastering errors, resulting in unwatchable extra features ? Seems like more a case of "out of the frying pan, into the fire" to me. Or at least into another frying pan.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks