What's new

Degaussing Coils? (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
How good are these degaussing coils you see online?
Do they actually work well?
Are they only meant for purity problems?

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Absolutely. But you need to look to the cause and fix that. Are your speakers close to your set? Is your center channel unshielded? Do you have some other magnetic field close to your TV?

Don’t forget than many new sets have an automatic deguasser—you can hear it when you turn the set on—sort of a short, medium-low pitched hum (combined with a bit of a thump).

One trick that may also work is to unplug your set for 12–24 hours. This will often clear up minor discoloration.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
here is my situation man. i bought a tv 3 months ago, it was a floor model, but i got it anyways. it had bad purity problems in the cornewrs and the tech came out and said since it was a come and go thing, i would have to have the tube replaced (i have an extended warranty that covered it).

well he replaced the tube the other day and when you turn the tv on after it has been off for awhile, the corners are slightly purity, if you turn it off, and back on in a few minutes, it is good.

it is a come and go thing, my speakers are like 4 feet from the tv. i unplugged the tv last night for 12 hours, nothing changed.
why would he have replaced tube if it was not the problem........... this is annoying.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Jeremy, since you have a warranty, I’d get those guys to fix the set. After a while, they will get tired of coming out and changing the tube (or whatever) and will probably decide to replace the whole set.

Weird that it is something that comes and goes, but it may be that a magnetic field is being generated somewhere close to your set (or this is a result of something else).

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i just got home from work, before work like 12 hours ago, i disconnected tv, i am home and i just turned on tv, there is slight purity in the corners. so i turn it off, and turn it back on and it is great. it seems to bonly be bad when it has been off for awhile.

my speakers are about 4 feet to the sides, my center channel is under my tv about 10 inches, and my reciever is about 1 foot under tv.........it couldnt be the reciever could it?

my sub is about 2 feet to the side on the floor and so is my vcr and ps2.............any other ideas what inside could be causing this come and go thing?
should i try buying a deguassing coil and see what it does?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks