What's new

Tremors: well, BIG no-no for the dvd: (1 Viewer)

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
icon13.gif

not anamorphic ( the region 2 are ), no 5.1 remaster and while the laserdisc ( beautiful!! old Universal vs new Universal ?......) was a PCM non discrete, the track was beautiful, musical, powerful. Here we get a sloppy dolbysurround 2.0.
well, next ?
biggrin.gif

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Why not make this an Ultimate Edition with DTS and LOTS of Extras. :)
------------------

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This is an extremely impressive LaserDisc Signature Collection. Excellent sounding PCM prologic, top notch video transfer, great extras. I just watchted it about amonth ago and was struck by how truly great the LD is technically. Reference quality, as good as LD ever can get.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Um, Tremors was released to DVD three years ago (1998), so why complain about it now? :)
The DVD is just fine, imo. I'd love to see it become 16x9 enhanced through.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, he's probably either referring to the "Tremors 3: Back To Perfection" direct-to-video release coming up soon, or else the "Tremors - Collectors Edition/Tremors 2: Aftershocks" dual-pack (two keepcases shrinkwrapped back-to-back) set that I found in Best Buy this past Tuesday (street date for this 2-pack) and picked up for my wife, who adores these films for some reason. :)
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
Widescreen is Family Fun!
FamilyWidescreen_ws.jpg

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Matthew: because Universal is now rerelasing it (check on dvdfile for the review ) and still, they can't get it right. And because the laserdisc, as Philip rightfuly reminds us, as I did, is stunning. http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_4/tremors.html
too bad so few on this forum had the chance to enjoy laserdiscs: many were stunning and their PCM, miam!
Universal is getting very inconsistant these days ( examples are numerous, sometims for the best, sometimes for the worst ).

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
Universal is not re-releasing Tremors. DVDFile just got around to reviewing it. It's been available for a while.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
The LD also retailed for a wallet-busting $80, while the exact same material on DVD is considerably cheaper. Looks and sounds fine to me.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
duh!
biggrin.gif

it STILL doesn't change a thing
tongue.gif

though I can understand the $80 tag might be..... disuasive
biggrin.gif

it still looks and sound MUCH better.... hey, it's also an Universal release so when a studio wants to do something right, it can...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Matthew: because Universal is now rerelasing it (check on dvdfile for the review ) and still, they can't get it right. And because the laserdisc, as Philip rightfuly reminds us, as I did, is stunning. http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...4/tremors.html
Technological advances resulting in lower quality is unacceptable. And no, I am not refering to TREMORS 2 or 3.
Lower quality? The non-anamorphic DVD has a surprisingly good, if overly-sharp image. How is the (non-anamorphic/composite) LD image superior? They're taken from the same master...so if anything the LD should just mask more of the detail.
As far a sound goes, I can believe what you guys are saying. I keep waiting for even my 5.1 DVDs to get that airy/rich/natural sound of good-old-fashioned 2.0 PCM from laserdisc! It's nice to have discrete surrounds but it would be even nicer if all five channels had the fidelity of a stereo PCM soundtrack!
-dave

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
While the LD cost $80....
The DVD originally had an SRP of $34.99, then it was lowered to $29.99 (most retailers didn't even lower the price after the price reduction), and a month ago the price was reduced again to $24.99. Tremors has never been re-released at all (other than price reductions and Universal putting it in two packs with The Mummy, Tremors 2, etc).
I got the DVD for $20 months ago over at DeepDiscountDVD (when I got it, they were still listing the SRP of $34.99) and for $20 I'm not complaining. The disc includes a decent non-anamorphic transfer. Not one of the best, but better than most non-anamorphic transfers. The 2.0 DD surround isn't as good as the PCM track on the LD, but at least all the extras from the LD boxset made it's way over to the DVD.
Who knows if Universal will ever redo this as an Ultimate Edition with anamorphic widescreen and DD and DTS 5.1, but I'm happy with the edition I got now.
I just wish Tremors 2: Aftershocks had the wealth of extras (or at least just some extras) as Tremors did. Luckilly, Tremors 3: Return to Perfection includes an anamorphic widescreen transfer along with Dolby Digital 5.1 and some extras (including production featurettes, trailers, etc).
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
hi Frank
it's another proof that the market is made of poor and great dvds and very easy to please consumers and others much more "picky"..... or not so picky in fact
biggrin.gif

many lds still look better than some dvds ( and sound MUCH better ) when processed through quality scalers-processors and nice CRT.
poorly compressed dvd, not anamorphic, can look awful. and 2.0 dolby DOES sound bad compared to a good PCM, even some 5.1 do ( you'd be surprised ).
the point of all this is .... this: advance in technology should be real: not fake. poor compression, old master, weaker soundtrack vs well mastered analogic and an excellent digital PCM.
I concede TREMORS has a special place in my heart. and I do own the LD so the I paid for it already, a long time ago.
for fans, since I doubt a special edition, properly done, is not likely in the near future, up to them to decide.

Roland Wandinger

Stunt Coordinator
Well on my 58" Pioneer HDTV the Tremor's:CE DVD looks like garbage
It does look rather bad also on my BARCO Cine 7. It has a very digital look to it. I have never seen the LD, would like to compare them side by side.
Universal needs to redo a lot of it's non-anamorphic titles in 16x9:
The Eiger Sanction
Backdraft
BOT4OJ
Dune (not so bad though)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I haven't seen the DVD, but on my 50" NTSC display (circa 1996) the LD looks stunning. The transfer is as good as the best LDs I've ever seen including Episode I, and easily as good as many DVDs (through a CLD-99). It was expensive and worth it. I have no desire to get the DVD.
Like David, this is one of my very favorite movies. Just a great ride.
------------------
Philip Hamm
Pat's the best!™
AIM: PhilBiker
click on the little green house to see the evolution of my home theater!
[Edited last by Philip Hamm on August 31, 2001 at 08:47 AM]

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
David-Alexander,
Chris is right. I'm happy you edited your message now, but when did I ever deny you an honest opinion?
And, just for my understanding of this thread, did you or didn't you just buy (and watch) the Tremor R1 DVD?
------------------
images_cees2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks