Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Canadian TV Shows on DVD

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 of 3 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted May 19 2012 - 08:38 PM

CBC in Canada has done a very poor job with releasing shows from its vault. There are many classic tv series in Canada that have not seen much action on the dvd front by CBC. CBC had their funding cut due to government cuts back and you would think they would look at the dvd option as part of additional revenue streams. However, that appears to be not the case. I would love to see the following on dvd: 1. Beachcombers (19 years) 2. King of Kensington (one season released) 3. Street Legal 4. Danger Bay 5. Edison Twins I am sure there are more, but the above were my favorite CBC shows.

#2 of 3 OFFLINE   Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 02:48 PM

Jackson Davies will be releasing a book to coincide with the 40th anniversary of The Beachcombers, and there is some talk of a best of DVD, but come on - this show was the icon of Canadian television for almost two decades, and while the later seasons probably don't hold as much interest for people, there is probably a decade's worth of shows that people would buy if they had the chance. I wish someone like Shout! could license the shoe before the elements are no longer useable. Edited to mention that the book is co-authored by Marc Strange who co-created the series. He passed away 05/20/2012. You can join Friends of the Beachcombers on Facebook.

#3 of 3 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,368 posts

Posted May 20 2012 - 03:03 PM

Jackson Davies will be releasing a book to coincide with the 40th anniversary of The Beachcombers, and there is some talk of a best of DVD, but come on - this show was the icon of Canadian television for almost two decades, and while the later seasons probably don't hold as much interest for people, there is probably a decade's worth of shows that people would buy if they had the chance. I wish someone like Shout! could license the shoe before the elements are no longer useable.

Jeff, Thanks for your posting! I am Canadian and beachcombers is a show, especially early on was amazing. Yes, the show near its end change with the plots revolving more around the kids. The show could be released and make a killing as their is huge fan based. The other show Danger Bay would also do well on dvd, especially as it relates more to the environment, which are the same issues today. There are other shows like street legal (LA law) the canadian version or Edison Twins that taught lessons. However, it appears that CBC has no clue how to manage its vault!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users