-

Photo
- - - - -

Canadian TV Shows on DVD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
383 replies to this topic

#1 of 384 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 01:09 AM

Hi I don't know if this will really respond with the people on these boards that are not Canadian but as one I think that with TV getting such a big boom right there are some shows I really would love to have and it be a really shame if they could never come out. I don't really know if there's been any that have come out or if a company has talked about releasing but It's been on my mind for the last little while.

I don't have many shows that I love but there are some.

Student Bodies - One of the Funniest Teen Comedies Ever. I love this show.

Puttnam's - I think this is what it was called. It was filmed in Regina and was on CTV when i was younger. I really loved this show as a kid and would die if i could see it again. The Nostalgia Factor would be too high to pass this up.

An American in Canada - I never watch the CBC but I watched the first episode when it came on and I really liked it. It was so funny and had a cool premise.

Silverwing - One of the coolest cartoons around. It's based on the books by Kenneth Oppal and follows a lone Bat trying to recoonect with his lost colony.

The 5th Quadrant - Hillarious Spoof of the X-Files and Paranormal Type Shows.

Other ones not really my favourites but worth mentioning as i might get it if released. You Can't Do That on Television, Dog House, Squawk Box, Dracula: The Series, The Little Vampire, Four on the Floor & The Edison Twins.

#2 of 384 JasonJason

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 01:33 AM

Definitely put my vote down for You Can't Do That on Television. That would be great! Haven't heard of the other ones though.

#3 of 384 Joe Isham

Joe Isham

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 03:21 AM

I'd definitely go for "An American in Canada". It's one of the funniest shows on TV. Too bad only HDNet picked it up here Stateside.

Also, how about seasons 2-5 of "Made in Canada"? Season 1 is out already.

I'd also buy Rick Mercer's special "Talking to Americans" if it were ever released.

Also "Twitch City"...

#4 of 384 Marc_Savoie

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator

• 206 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 03:57 AM

I'd love to see YCDTOTV as well.

Wouldn't The Edison Twins be a blast on DVD?....
[c]"The best way to destroy a taste for what is bad, is to cultivate a taste for what is good."
Best Movies of 2003 : DVDs : DVDs (again)
Top 20 Films : Favourite Horror Films : Favourite Music of 2003[/c]

#5 of 384 Darrell Bratz

Darrell Bratz

Stunt Coordinator

• 125 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 04:11 AM

"Seeing Things", with Louis Del Grande. Much of the same charm as "Monk", with something extra - nebbishy reporter (think Canadian whitebread Woody Allen) Del Grande has fractured paranormal visions of crimes and such, and does his best to help thwart or capture the evildoers. Very funny.

#6 of 384 Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 04:12 AM

SCTV

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#7 of 384 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 04:45 AM

SCTV will be out before Xmas.

I'll be buying the complete SCTV, Kids in the Hall, and Due South for sure.

I'd like to be able to buy Seeing Things, Bizarre (with John Byner) and maybe The King of Kensington (and the sequel where King worked at the community center).

#8 of 384 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 06:01 AM

Seeing Things sounds really interesting and funny. When was it on because i've never heard of it.

I also just remembered a show that although i've never seen it I really want it. It was called Mosquito Lake and starred my favourite comedian Mike MacDonald. I'm so mad I never got to see this or that its not even shown anymore. It it ever comes out i'll pick up it like that.

#9 of 384 Ricardo C

Ricardo C

Producer

• 5,060 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 06:08 AM

I'd go for "The Associates" and "Mysterious Ways".

Yes, I know :b

Man, an hour wasted on this sig! Thanks, Toshiba! :P

#10 of 384 Rob T

Rob T

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 06:26 AM

John Woo's Once a Thief

It didn't last too long, but I'd love to have it. Posted Image

#11 of 384 Marc Colella

Marc Colella

Screenwriter

• 2,607 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 06:33 AM

Surprised that noone's mentioned Degrassi yet.

How about these classic Canadian shows:

The Trouble with Tracy
Danger Bay
Beachcombers
Hangin' In
Check It Out
Smith and Smith
Adventures in Rainbow Country
Forest Rangers

I have no desire to own any of these... I just like to reminisce. Posted Image

#12 of 384 Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer

Producer

• 5,593 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 06:36 AM

How about The Beachcombers? That's about as Canadian as they get, and is in need of some major restoration/preservation work judging by reruns. I'm sure that isn't the only older CBC show that could/should be at least saved from extinction. Adventures in Rainbow Country (26 eps total) is another that looks attrocious in reruns, and needs its elements done something with before they have deteriorated beyond hope.

There is a wealth of kids programming as well: Mr. Dressup, Mr. Rogers, The Friendly Giant, Romper Room...

Edit: Marc beat me to Molly's Reach and Rainbow Country... I must be in Newfoundland (and if anybody gets THAT joke...)

#13 of 384 Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg

Lead Actor

• 9,209 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 07:08 AM

I read something about Degrassi on TVShowsOnDvd.com a few days ago. I believe that plans are in the works to release it on DVD.

Put me down for You can't do that on Television, one of the funniest shows ever.

#14 of 384 Tyler DJW

Tyler DJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 169 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 07:15 AM

Jim,

I can't beleive you know Puttnam's (Prarie Emporium, I beleive). I auditioned for that and was cast, though I never did anything on the air. My sister was also cast and did appear on the show. That must have been ~20 years ago... I was just a kid.

I don't have much to add, but thanks for the nostalgia.

PS - Born and Raised in Regina.
My DVD Collection
XBOX GamerTag: MumbleyJoe

#15 of 384 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 07:38 AM

Tyler NO WAY? That is so cool. Yeah when I was little i loved that show i watched it every saturday morning and still remember stuff from the episodes. That is really cool you were cast, this may sound like a stupid question but you don't have episodes on tape I would so pay for them. When i went to the CTV building in Saskatoon i got to go through their Archive Room but Unfortantly they didn't have any Puttnam's Prarie Emporium tapes. For the last 5 years i've been despretly trying to see this show again.

I did have an idea recently that SCN might shown them on their channel as they are a saskatchewan show if I called or emailed or something.

#16 of 384 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 08:24 AM

Seeing Things was on from 1981 to 1987. Each season last 3-8 episodes so they could do the whole series in 2 or 3 box sets.

It was great. it was about a tabloid-type reporter who got conked on the head and could see murders that were happening elswewhere (though his visons were often off a little).

#17 of 384 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 08:49 AM

Thanks Larry! That sounds awesome, its too bad i missed it. As I bet I would have enjoyed it. It's too bad I was only 4 in 1987. Man i wish they reran some of these shows.

#18 of 384 JulianK

JulianK

Supporting Actor

• 844 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 10:04 AM

Being stuck on the other side of the Atlantic means I'm not an expert, but isn't The Newsrooom a Canadian series?

It's available on DVD as a nice 2-disc set with commentary tracks, and the Inside The Newsroom documentary.

#19 of 384 LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport

Screenwriter

• 2,980 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 10:20 AM

The Associates (if you are talking about the Martin Short show) was not Canadian. It was on ABC and it was on just prior to Martin's first appearance on SCTV.

Add the David Steinberg Show to my list. It starred Joe Flaherty, Andrea Martin, and Martin Short.

I'm also trying to remember the name of a late-nite Canadian sketch comedy show, on the CBC, that I saw after SCTV debuted, but before The Kids in the Hall's first show. It isn't The Royal Canadian Air Farce or This Hour Has 22 Minutes. I can see one of the performers in my head. He's a big guy with a beard and glasses and I'd seen him on a lot of other Canadian shows (once he portrayed a beaver).

#20 of 384 Jim Beaver

Jim Beaver

Supporting Actor

• 604 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 11:24 AM

The David Steiberg Show was pretty funny i saw reruns on The Comedy Network i liked that Johnny guy. He was pretty funny.

I don't know about the skit show. The only one i can think of is Codco that was on Showcase a couple years ago. I don't know if thats it though.