What's new

Paramount!!!! Here's An Idea, Take This One To Heart...comments Welcome (1 Viewer)

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed that a lot of classic Paramount product is making its way to DVD this year. Most of this is being released with no extras. My credo with DVDs is I don't ask for much, at least if it included a theatrical trailer rather than a video trailer, the DVD experience would be worth owning rather than renting.

I bought the Peter Bogdanovich film "Targets" and was very impressed by the 15 minute introduction documentary but was sadly disappointed to see evidence of a trailer of this film, but no inclusion of it on DVD. Coincidentally, trailers for both Paper Moon and Rosemary's Baby have made their way onto the airwaves of Turner Classic Movies but not on their respected DVDs. This was a trend last year with your music titles (Flashdance, Footloose, Urban Cowboy) and instead of treating them as worthy buys, they were treated as good rentals and nothing more.

Here's an idea. What I would like to propose, and all the Home Theater Forum can respond to this idea if they wish, is that Paramount have a proof of purchase deal or one similar to that linked to a chain in which if you buy 5 Paramount DVDs or more and you send in the proof of purchase along with the receipt, you will receive by mail a DVD full of the original trailers (not the now on home video made) that have not been included on the DVDs released in that year ,say for example 2003, along with upcoming trailers to look forward to of that year and future.

If you can't include it on the DVD, at least give us a bonus for buying your product to show that it won't go overlooked for all trailerphiles and cinephiles and film buffs alike. It worked for The Matrix Reloaded at Best Buy and they made up for their error for not including the theatrical trailer for Reloaded by inserting a bonus DVD
including that plus the original's trailer and little extras from 2 of the previous DVDs...Think about it, know the justice exists amongst trailers and can continue

Thank you

Would love to hear all your comments from all too

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Until a mutually pleasing way is found to settle music rights fees, we are not going to see many trailers on Paramount catalog releases. Period. It's just too expensive.

As much as it saddens me, this is a business, and we are darned lucky we are even getting many of the catalog titles that Paramount has issued this year. And if they don't make money off the release of those titles, those may dry up as well.

Studios react to money. That's it, end of story.

Petitions, nasty letters, pleadings, they are irrelevant.
Studios do not gauge low sales of a catalog title with any qualifiers such as lack of 16:9 enhancement or missing trailers or even lack of a widescreen option -- they gauge it solely as disinterest in the title itself. The best we can do is support the quirky titles that do get released to show that someone wants them, and when there is a dual option (separate pan-scan and widescreen copies), to boost sales of the widescreen edition.

Please, let us stop badgering one of the few friends we have at the studios and try supporting him when he does listen to us.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark, I don't think Chris' intent was to "badger" Mr. Blythe, only to express his disappointment in not finding trailers on his Paramount DVD's. They are disappearing from the DVD's of several companies now (Disney and Columbia to name two), and I am also sad of this. Having a trailer for the next attraction in a home theater environment makes the whole program seem more professional and fun, to say nothing of the fact that trailers often contain shots that never made it into the feature, and can be delightful mini-movies unto themselves. I have read all the reasons why trailers are being left off, and I can't help but wonder, then, how it is that MGM DVD's almost invariably have trailers, even on their fifteen dollar product, and Warner Bros. includes them on all but a few of their titles. If they can do it...

But, that said, I am also extremely happy with the titles that Paramount is putting out, and will be damned if I'm going to boycott, say, DRAGONSLAYER because a trailer is not included. I just pine for the good old days when about 80% of all DVD's had these wonderful little slices of advertising bliss.

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator
As one who's been self employed for 40 yrs., the last 11 of which has been video retailing, I'm acutely aware that upon occasion, the consumer's not cognizant of all circumstances involving a business decision. To dupe, and market a VHS/ DVD from a reel "as is" is one matter, BUT to furnish a product of the quality Paramount has chosen to release is "another whole different ball game". To shun the banquet table of turkey, mashed pots, dressing etc. simply because the peas aren't "black eyed" seems unadvisable to me, however "to each his/her own".

While on this subject, I'll share a personal experience that involves Paramount. In ' 51, the studio released one of my favorite westerns: The Last Outpost. Unfortunately, this title never made it to VHS until a hack co., Ivy Video, placed a terrible copy, under the re-release title of Cavalry Charge, on the market; it's absolutely atrocious, even for video tape. Recently, they've done the same with DVD, and it's sunken to abysmal. Personally, I'd cherish the thought of a Paramount disk, HOWEVER, it'd surely be a $$$$$$ loser, and as such not feasable.

In closing, I'm a buyer of the below:

Buccaneer, The
Last Outpost, The
Pony Express
Viva Rides!

Bob Engleman

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Alright, that being said, here's what I suggest for the future.

Since music rights are the issue, perhaps Paramount could simply issue trailers with the music removed, either substituting cleared music or just leaving it without music. This may seem like heresy, especially when it's done poorly (such as Columbia's lame rescoring of the DOGMA trailer on their DVDs), but it would be a solution.

For example (a bit off topic, but bear with me), when VCI did their superb disc of THE CITY OF THE DEAD starring Christopher Lee, they naturally wanted to include a trailer for the film, released in America as HORROR HOTEL. But one, no such trailer existed with the UK title, and two, since the film (and trailer) is in public domain, they wanted to safeguard it against bootleggers who would port it onto inferior budget discs.
So, using the original HORROR HOTEL trailer as a guide, they simply made the trailer over again! They used the voiceover from the original, but conformed new (and very clean) footage together to duplicate the editing sequence, and videoburned new CITY OF THE DEAD logos onto it, with a copyright notice.

Lord knows Paramount has way more money than VCI. It may seem silly and labor-intensive to "make new trailers" as it were, but if editors are already at work on the great supplements and commentaries that are included, how much longer would it take to make a musically kosher trailer, especially when the original is available as a guide. And it would still cost less to pay an editor a one-time fee than the exorbitant amounts the music companies want for the disputed scores.

Personally, I think some trailers work great without music. Remember, the first teaser for BATMAN had no music at all. Maybe stripping some of these trailers down will make them even better.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Here's mine.

While I appreciate having extras, including trailers, the vast majority of the time I am purely interested in getting a copy of the movie in OAR with good video/audio. Anamorphic is greatly appreciated, but not a dealkiller.

There are a lot of catalog titles out there that I would like to see make it to DVD. A lot of these titles might not make money. Therefore, if they're ever going to see the light of day on DVD, studios have to find a was to cut costs wherever possible.

Personally, Paramount is one of my favorite studios. They release high quality anamorphic transfers. They release in OAR. It seems like they never have technical problems, such as misframing or misbehaving subtitles. If they want to cut costs by trimming extras, then I'm all for it.

Maybe there are some of you out there who would not buy a DVD because it doesn't have the trailer, but I'm certainly not one of them.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
As a sincere question (one can always read sarcasm into these things; I assure you, none is intended), I'm still confused just why Warner Bros. and M-G-M seem to include trailers on so much of their product (Disney and Universal have even embraced auto-play trailers for other films on some discs :)) if music rights clearances are so irksome. Are the music licenses held by Paramount unique from those of their competitors? Or is this much more a problem with modern pictures (and, thus, modern music), rather than the classics of early Hollywood?

Anyway, that's just a point of order for my own edification. Trailers are not a terribly important extra to me (I enjoy them, but they're not essential). If appropriately priced, a movie-only release is fine, but for my money it must be OAR, and, if that OAR is 1.66:1 or wider, 16x9 formatted. This is the standard, and six years into the format, I do believe it's a valid one. Paramount has maintained an excellent track record on this front in recent years. :emoji_thumbsup: The inclusion of a recreation of the original audio mix (mono, stereo, discreet surround ... whatever it may be), rather than or in addition to an (appropriate) remix, is always a very big plus, as well. Finally (on the "standards" front), if a film originates as large format and large format elements survive in or have been restored to useable condition, a master should always be derived from large format, and should not be taken from reduction. If the cost of this requires a higher sticker price, that is perfectly acceptable to me. I routinely skip releases I know to be taken from reduction -- the loss in original visual quality is very evident to my eye, as the look of large format is unique. I understand from on-line reports that Paramount has recently taken a number of VistaVision transfers from large format (though I've yet to see them), and for that I very definitely offer congratulations. These magnificent large format films deserve nothing less.

Chalk me up as a customer for the big (large format and otherwise :)) titles of pre-1970 or so, particularly anything Paramount still controls from the silent era through the 50's (I believe Universal now owns much of their early product?), and allow me to congratulate Paramount for their work (with Lowry Digital Images) on Sunset Boulevard. Absolutely outstanding, and I hope to see more of the same in the future (Roman Holiday was a bit more problematic, visually, as there were motion errors/blocking problems in one or two scenes -- possibly a noise reduction artifact, or encoding trouble; I'm not sure -- but it's nevertheless a very good buy as well). The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, though I believe a bit overmatted from its 1.66:1, is also a fine product and a release I greatly value.

To suggest any remasters (I think I may have mentioned these in an earlier post on the Paramount disc suggestions thread), new 16x9 formatted editions of The Ghost and the Darkness and Mission: Impossible would be very welcome, and both titles would benefit from (the viewing experience would be enriched by) deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes extras, and commentaries, if these are possible (mission: possible ... cough, that's the best I can do at this late hour :D).

Just a few passing thoughts there. Continued success, with classic titles in particular, to all studios. :emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks