What's new

The next Austin meet. (1 Viewer)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
We haven't had a fall HTF meet yet in Austin, so let's start planning one. I'm thinking we should have one before Thanksgiving. At least that way, everyone's holiday wish lists will be full of home-theater-related goodies.

Shall we do a topical meet or just a general meet?

Let the discussions begin...

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Jonathan -

I've been around, just very busy as of late. Between work, some music lessons, and starting a workout program, I've been fully booked the last couple of months. Lately those mini-meets have come up too quickly for me to get to one. :frowning:

Any progress on the room modeling calculations for my HT?

---

ObHTMeet: I suggest we do the meet on Saturday, November 15 or 22. Which date works best for everyone? Anyone want to show off their HT?

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter

Yep. With any luck I should have something ready this weekend. Sometime next week we should get together and review.

Meet idea--
Has anyone purchased a Bravo, Samsung, LiteOn, or Momitsu DVD player with DVI output? I would be interested in seeing a comparison between DVI and Component images.

I'd also like to see a Z2/HS20/AE500 shootout, but I don't think anyone's going to spend $7000 just for me to decide on my next projector purchase. BTW, I've seen conflicting info on whether or not the Z2 has MLA, anyone know for certain?

Are there any big topics we haven't had a meet about? We've had meets on speakers, projector shoot outs, acoustics, HTPC vs pre/pro, pre/pro shoot out, dealer demos, and what else? Just trying to dislodge some ideas...

Chad Anson

Second Unit
I can't do anything until after Thanksgiving. However, I'd be willing to host in early December @ the (soon-to-be-completed) Anson Hillside Cinema.

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Chad -

I know December is a really busy month for a lot of people, which is why I suggested a pre-Thanksgiving meet. But I would like to see your completed theater, so perhaps you could have a mini-meet some time in December...

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
By golly, there's Colin! Music lessons? What are you learning to play? If it's the accordian, please don't reply;)

A meet sound good. As Doc T. said, we've covered lots of topics, some not very deeply, IMHO, but I'll make a suggestion to get the ball rolling.

Doc and I were at Tube's, I mean Scott's, listening to his fab new turntable/arm. I was very impressed, first of all, by the clean, silent background of the vinyl that was either new or obviously well cared-for. Second, I was VERY impressed by the presence, quality and accuracy (wind instruments) of the midrange.
How about an objective (as much as possible without getting anal R about it) comparison of best vinyl recordings at our disposal versus best CD recordings at our disposal? Maybe throw in an average vinyl versus average CD for grins. To counter the intense listening/lack of conversation, how about another topical discussion in another room? Or a game of P?

The ball's rolling. Let's go...

mike_frontier

Supporting Actor
I'm here still alive and ticking :D

I to been pretty busy.

Learn how to back up my dvd's to DvD R (all) formats, after I built my own Desktop PC :D.

The newest thing I added to my theater is a new dvd player. Sorry no dvi dvd player yet. But I got one that is progressive scan and does read the formats I needed which is DvD +/- R and RW's.
Oh and of course does PAL to NTSC conversion (and I must say does truely does a excellent job at it, way better then my hacked daewoo 5700, which I do not really use.).... and did I mention region-free :).

I plan to run my new curtains a long the side of my screen and then paint some.

I am going this weekend to look for a new ceiling fan w/ remote (silver ones) to install in my theater room.

Other then that all,, that is all the news from me.

Take care everyone!

Oh, BTW... anyone here want to buy a 21" viewsonic monitor?

I'm interested in attending one of these, time permitting. After getting into my house I'm finally moving towards purchasing my first projector for the media room, and if there isn't going to be another shootout, I'd at least like to discuss opinions about projector technology and such with those more experienced than I. Count me in.

Mike -- what DVD player is this? I'm going to have to get a new one for my theatre as well, so I'm up for the more "esoteric" ones, especially those that can play my DVD+/-Rs and RWs (looks like I'm in the same boat as you are there)?

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Perhaps we could check out the Ultimate Electronics that is opening up just north of I-35 and Parmer.

They are strong in the mid- to upper-level mass-market segment and the lower end of the high end. Though definitely a "box mover" kind of store, I think they're the first place to really sell to the mid-level HT market in Austin. So it may be worth a trip there. Not to mention Baby Acapulco's is nearby if anyone wants Tex-Mex, margaritas, or Mexican martinis...

---

Hank - not to worry, I am learning the piano and NOT the accordian.

That's an excellent idea! I'm all for this, been wanting to check those guys out for a little while now, this gives the perfect opportunity, plus liquor. :)

Colin Dunn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Colin Dunn
Ryan -

Welcome to the Austin HTF meets thread. Do you mind if I put you on my E-mail list for HTF meet announcements? (Spam does not get sent on this list, just announcements of HTF meets and such...)

Thanks Colin, but I'm already on the e-mail list, actually. That's how I knew about the thread. :) I've just been relatively silent up until now, since I'm now actively looking for the projector stuff...

I'm good there too -- a new Fuddrucker's opened up where that horrible Tex-Mex place used to be. No margaritas, but I think they have beer. :)

Jonathan DA

Screenwriter
I am totally game for the vinyl/cd compare and contrast. I finally have all the parts for my table, so it should be up and spinning as soon as I get, or make, something to put it on. However, this is largely a movies over music type crowd, so the interest in vinyl may not be sufficient to keep this bunch entertained for an afternoon. Personally, I like the idea of having a grand opening party and the Anson Hillside Cinema in early Dec.

Vinyl? Isn't that the stuff that I see women on the front of Maxim wearing occassionally? Wait, no, that's latex, sorry. Well, outside of potential hottie-wear, I know not what this "vinyl" is that you speak of... :)

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
I'll try to drive by the Ultimate at Lakeline to see if there is a sign with an opening date posted. Fudruckers is very close by, but its layout isn't conducive to a large group trying to converse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks