Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Best show over the air for HD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums

Second Unit

• 447 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 01:45 AM

I will be getting HD in the 1st of Nov. and I was wondering what are the best shows/channel for my virgin HD eyes Posted Image to watch?

It looks like for Picture quality that PBS will have some great looking stuff, but any other suggestions? Thanks!
In Him,
GH

XBL Gamertag: Argon52
My Blog Sony 60" HDTV KDS-60A3000, Onkyo TX-SR707 A/V Receiver, Swan Diva Speakers, Xbox360, Sony PS3 Slim, Nintendo Wii, Denon 2802(powers the Sub), SVS Sub, Insight HD cable box, Logitech Harmony 1100 remote.

#2 of 8 Hanson

Hanson

Producer

• 4,386 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 02:07 AM

If you can get it, the CBS Sunday game in HD is stunning. They also broadcast an SEC football game on Saturdays that is also full HD and probably likelier to see.

While the prime time stuff looks better than DVD, only the stuff shot in HD gives you that "looking through a window" picture quality.

#3 of 8 Tim K

Tim K

Second Unit

• 402 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 02:43 AM

As mentioned above, you have to catch something filmed with HD cameras to get the true HD feel. Check out CBS sunday NFL, ABC Monday Night Football, or Jay Leno on NBC.

#4 of 8 ThomasC

ThomasC

Lead Actor

• 6,526 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 03:38 AM

Miss Match on NBC is in HDTV. Alicia Silverstone in HD...yum yum...Posted Image

#5 of 8 Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,248 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted October 27 2003 - 03:29 AM

I agree with the input about content originating from HD cameras. Monday Night Football looks amazing - if only I were into football! And this might be an area and equipment issue, but of my local affiliates CBS looks consistently the best.
One thing leads to another at cameronyee.com

#6 of 8 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 04:27 AM

Almost all sports in HD are a fantastic upgrade. The Stanley Cup playoffs are great. Also the Masters. Football has been mentioned.

Dramas in general come in second (for me), with sitcoms third in improvement.

But the big deal is getting some movies in HD. Super.
¡Time is not my master!

#7 of 8 WadeB

WadeB

Stunt Coordinator

• 231 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 05:10 AM

Quote:
But the big deal is getting some movies in HD. Super.

ABC's Saturday night showings of Disney movies have been spectacular. They have recently shown Toy Story and Sleeping Beauty.

Unfortunately, the next 2 weeks don't look so hot, but when they air more classics, you'll definately want to watch. Maybe we'll see Lion King soon to promote the DVD?

#8 of 8 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted October 27 2003 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Unfortunately, the next 2 weeks don't look so hot, but when they air more classics, you'll definately want to watch.

Both Showtime and HBO telecast a lot in HD, though you have to be a bit careful with HBO as to aspect ratio---their 2.35:1 movies are often in 16:9. Also not everything is HD, some films are just upconverted. But the ones that are in the correct aspect ratio (and you don’t have to worry about all of the 1.85:1 films) and true HD are worth watching.

I don’t know about cable and Dish, but DirecTV has an HD movie channel (you have to buy the HD package) and also HD PPV.
¡Time is not my master!

Forum Nav Content I Follow