What's new

5.1 Sound v. Pro Logic (1 Viewer)

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hi everyone,

I watch TV in Pro Logic Surround Sound. I have a JVC Receiver and when I play DVDs, it automatically selects the 5.1 or Dolby Digital Sound. However, it leaves the Pro Logic Surround Sound Button on. Should I leave it this way or should I turn off the Pro Logic Surround Sound Button?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Could you enlighted us as to your setup and movie? Pro logic can still be applied to 2-channel DD tracks. I can't see how it's applied if the movie is in 5.1 unless you somehow force it to downmix to 2-channel, then it is applying pro-logic, which is not what you want to be doing. You should see what happens what you turn off the pro logic "button." Again, detailed setup information would help us understand your situation a little better.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I am using an optical cable from my DVD Player to my JVC Receiver optical input. I am watching the new Indiana Jones movies which are in 5.1.

I have a center, left, right, sub, and 2 surrounds in the back.

So, if I'm right, with my setup, I should just turn off the prologic once the dolby digital button lights up, right?

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
I would think that the receiver would ignore the prologic button if it is already getting a 5.1 signal through the optical cable but try it with the button on and off and see if there is a difference.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You probably want to turn off pro logic. I'm not too familiary with JVCs. Try it and see, and consult the manual.

Jay Foster

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I appreciate your responses. I tried it with the button on and off and it sounds (to my ears anyway) that I should turn off the prologic. Thanks for your assistance.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
My receiver does this as well sometimes. It sort of "remembers" the last setting I used on a DVD if I select a specific mode (stereo, NEO6, etc...), though that is not always what I want the next time. Selecting "auto" gets it pick up the correct format. Pro-logic is a function of Dolby processing, but PL should not be on with a DD source.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks