What's new

DVD recorders - Tivo-like functions (commercial killing, etc)? (1 Viewer)

Frank**F

Grip
I've been researching the various HD-based DVD recorders out there, and I haven't been able to figure out one detail.

Don't have Tivo, but I've heard lots about it from friends.

With the HD burners, can you mimic the "commercial killing" functionality of Tivo, and the live TV "pause" function?

In other words (I think this is right), can you view from the HD recording, while the HD is still recording the very show you're watching?

Mucho gracias!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Don't have Tivo, but I've heard lots about it from friends.
Stop by the PVR section here and read up a little more on the Tivo. It's much more than just a digital recorder. Also there is a new Pioneer model Tivo with a DVD burner built right in.

-Robert

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
With the HD burners, can you mimic the "commercial killing" functionality of Tivo, and the live TV "pause" function?
"Commercial killing" has already been addressed. "Pausing" live TV is not available on any of the HD-based recorders I'm familiar with. TiVo accomplishes this by automatically buffering whatever program it's currently tuned to for up to half an hour. Live TV can be "paused" because, when you watch TV through TiVo, you're really watching the buffered program on a few seconds' delay.

You could mimic this function on an HD recorder, but you'd have to be recording the show you want to pause. The units do not automatically buffer the current broadcast (except, of course, for the new Pioneer units that combine a DVD recorder with TiVo).

As noted, more information is available in the PVR section.

M.

Frank**F

Grip
Just a follow-up - I bought the Panny 80-gig hard disk recorder/DVD burner this weekend. While I'm still figuring out how to use all the bells and whistles, I've figured out the "pause live TV" stuff - and it does indeed work.

I hear what you're saying about the comparison to Tivo. Tivo automatically records/buffers everything you watch, so you can pause at any time.

With the Panny, you have to turn the recording and Time Slip function on first, so you're watching from the hard disk buffer instead of from the broadcast. For me, that's not going to be much of an obstacle. If you need a break, you just hit two or three buttons to turn everything on then pause the show (rather than hitting just one button with Tivo).

Pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks