Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Does anyone here eat circus peanuts?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#1 of 21 Steve Y

Steve Y

Supporting Actor

• 704 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 10:44 AM

I'm sure no one will admit to buying these neon orange sponge candies, but someone must buy them. They've been around for over a century but they're the kind of candy that makes your friends and family say "blechhh!".

There was an article up in our weekly free paper about circus peanuts last week. They're the underground candy of America. No one will admit to eating them, but they disappear off store shelves just the same... apprently they are more complicated to make than other candies (something about the sugar process which creates their infamous texture)... obviously the candy companies wouldn't bother if it was a losing proposition.

I bought a bag today out of curiosity for $1.49. They feel stale to the touch but break apart simply in the mouth... not quite marshmallow, not quite nugat. A slight banana flavor... but with a distressing bitter edge to the sugar (in the "finish")...

What do you think?

#2 of 21 David Williams

David Williams

Screenwriter

• 2,290 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 12:01 PM

I haven't had them in so long, I couldn't tell you if I still didn't like them. My grandmother, on the other hand, loved them. They were her favorite candy.
"Only two things are infinite––the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe." ––Albert Einstein

#3 of 21 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted October 24 2003 - 12:28 PM

Well, I like them, but only if they're fresh and are the kind that kind of melt in your mouth. Even so, I don't buy them too often.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#4 of 21 Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Guest_Eric Kahn_*

Posted October 24 2003 - 12:54 PM

I like circus peanuts, but can't eat them right now because I am on the atkins diet, no sugar

#5 of 21 StephenA

StephenA

Screenwriter

• 1,512 posts

Posted October 25 2003 - 03:04 AM

I hate them, but my dad loves them. He always looks for the fresher, soft ones whenever we're in a grocery store, department store, or any place that sells candy. I dunno how he or anyone can eat them.

#6 of 21 MarkHastings

MarkHastings

Executive Producer

• 12,013 posts

Posted October 25 2003 - 04:28 AM

Look! You can make Jello out of them:
http://www.spanglerc..../cprecipe.html

Posted Image

#7 of 21 Paul D Young

Paul D Young

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted October 25 2003 - 06:08 AM

Circus Peanuts rule! But only if they are Brach's brand:
Link Once, I was with a friend at the store and I asked to borrow a couple of dollars. He agreed, and then he found out I was going to buy Circus Peanuts with his money. He then absolutely refused to give me the money because he hated them so much. Last Christmas he gave me a bag of a crappy brand of Circus Peanuts for Christmas as a joke. If they had been Brach's, it would not have been a joke, but a special treat!

#8 of 21 Stefan A

Stefan A

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted October 25 2003 - 03:46 PM

If your circus peanuts are hard, then you got a stale bag. Search for ones that are soft - much better.

And yes, I am a closet circus peanut lover (not anymore Posted Image)

#9 of 21 Scooter

Scooter

Screenwriter

• 1,509 posts
  • LocationDFW Area Texas

Posted October 26 2003 - 03:53 AM

Me too!!! Also the kind that look like vegetables!!!

Pretty much anything marshmallow-ish is a fave!!

#10 of 21 Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 09:12 AM

My dad liked 'em too. My wife eats those orange slices that are coated with sugar. Those are also old school candy.

#11 of 21 Andy_MT

Andy_MT

Second Unit

• 486 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 10:44 AM

not too popular with some ...

http://www.bad-candy.../circuspeanuts/

#12 of 21 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image

I LOVE 'EM!

#13 of 21 ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson

Screenwriter

• 2,181 posts

Posted October 26 2003 - 11:16 AM

Haven't had 'em in years. Aren't they filled with silica?

EDIT:
I found this on their site:
Q: What kind of gelatin do you use in your Circus Peanuts?
A: The type of gelatin that we use is pork skin.
and
Q: Is there any way I can soften the Circus Peanuts if they become hard?
A: You can soften hard marshmallow peanuts if you put them in the microwave for approximately 10 seconds, (microwave time may vary).
http://www.spanglerc....s/techfaqs.htm

#14 of 21 JasenP

JasenP

Screenwriter

• 1,286 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 05:15 AM

My father loved them, but I can't even stand to smell them. I'm not a big fan of gummi or marshmallow candies in general. When I got peeps in my Easter basket they were G.I. Joe cannon fodder. Posted Image
You know, Fred, if you keep your sense of humor like you do, you just might make it.

The Archive

#15 of 21 LDfan

LDfan

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 05:46 AM

Man, I can't stand them. The only other candy I probably dislike as much are Peeps.

Jeff

#16 of 21 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 07:21 AM

These things have a name!?! I always thought "Circus Peanuts" meant bags of roast peanuts you buy at a circus or fair.

But this thread does remind me of something I heard about Joan Jett once......
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#17 of 21 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 08:14 AM

I myself was more partial to the banana shaped and flavored version. Also those little candy dots on paper that you bought by the foot.

#18 of 21 Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter

• 1,313 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 09:05 AM

I (Heart) Circus Peanuts.

But strangely, I only like the ones that are older and harder. And you absolutely have to have something to drink while eating them; its like swallowing gauze.

#19 of 21 Charles J P

Charles J P

Screenwriter

• 2,028 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 09:29 AM

My wife loves them, I hate them. I've never really eaten any (or maybe not more than one, so its not an issue overconsumption at one point in my life) but the smell of circus peanuts literally makes my sick to my stomach. If I dont get away from the smell soon enough, I will throw up. Blech...

#20 of 21 Peter Kline

Peter Kline

Screenwriter

• 2,409 posts

Posted October 28 2003 - 10:12 AM

Here ya go Charles:

Posted Image