-

Photo

Any reviews yet on Basic Instinct and Total Recall special editions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
33 replies to this topic

#1 of 34 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,272 posts

Posted August 26 2001 - 05:01 PM

Thanks

#2 of 34 Don Myles

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 27 2001 - 03:24 AM

Hope any reviews include something about the packaging. I am holding off until I see what they actually look like.

Don

#3 of 34 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,272 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 09:20 AM

I'm defintely not too crazy about the packaging I have seen pictures of.

#4 of 34 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 10:15 AM

I've seen the packaging. The packaging for Total Recall is very small. The case is the size of a CD. The packaging looks like a toy sold in Toys R Us. Posted Image

Basic Instinct is a blank case with the shape at the bottom of an ice pick. It's a see through case, so you see the disc right through. (Supposed to be an ice case)

#5 of 34 Don Myles

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted August 28 2001 - 10:07 PM

Think I read somewhere that the icepick is actually a "limited edition" Basic Instinct pen but I may be wrong.

Don

#6 of 34 Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor

• 922 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:16 PM

DVD File just posted a review:
[url=http://www.dvdfile.com/software/review/dvd-video_4/basicinstinct_se.html]http://www.dvdfile.com/software/revi...stinct_se.html

[Edit: removed joke reference to a gaffe on the review page that has now been fixed. Damn!]

------------------
Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin

ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

[Edited last by Kevin Leonard on August 30, 2001 at 12:07 AM]

(edited to correct link)

[Edited last by Cees Alons on August 31, 2001 at 02:23 PM]
I like shiny things. | 2002 Film List | Best & Worst of 2002 | 2003 Film List | 2004 Film List

'I'm sucking up juice from the generator!' - Brian Eno, "I Fall Up"
AIM: KevinLeonard81 (because SexGod9451860 was already taken)
ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

#7 of 34 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:23 PM

As always, dvdfile gives a shitty picky review.

#8 of 34 JohnS

JohnS

Producer

• 4,473 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 01:25 PM

It says there is a hidden screen test hidden in the menus, they give a clue.."What would catherine do?"

probaly hidden between her legs?

I know this comment was used already, but hey, why not use it again Posted Image

I'll probally pick this up!

------------------

all-banner.jpg

#9 of 34 Bob_Mandel

Bob_Mandel

Stunt Coordinator

• 63 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 02:57 PM

I didn't watch the discs, but Total Recall is indeed in a round red tin can--one side cratered like Mars--the size of a DVD.

Basic Instinct is in the same blueish clear plastic that SaTC comes in with the ice pick pen inside, too.

I thought they were both pretty cool (although I am sure many will mind that Total Recall will not sit up and play nicely on the shelf with all the other DVDs). Posted Image

You have to admit that packaging is the one place the studios can still battle it out creatively, because the types of on-disc supplements have near been exhausted... although I am sure they'll think of something... Posted Image

------------------
editor,

Posted Image

editor,

#10 of 34 Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 03:11 PM

So are we sure that the Total Recall disc will not be the same height and depth (considering the widest/longest portions) as a normal keep case or snapper?

------------------
Me

Help bring an Uncut version of Conan the Destroyer to DVD
Me

Help bring an Uncut version of Conan the Destroyer to DVD

#11 of 34 David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 04:43 PM

mmh, seems ARTISAN took way too much time on the packaging than on the video transfer...... Posted Image

#12 of 34 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,272 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 06:36 PM

I'm very disappointed about the review I read in regards to the transfer. It sounds to me that this could have and should have looked nicer. I wonder if I should have even gotten rid of my previous release, even though the new one has extras - I'm not terribly concerned about them.

It's amazing how they spend time, energy, and money with the cosmetics and extras, yet the actual film lacks.

Posted Image

[Edited last by Dave H on August 30, 2001 at 01:55 AM]

#13 of 34 Antonio_M

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 06:53 PM

Don't base Basic Instinct's picture on just one sole review. In my opinion, DVDfile is too much in the "picky" department. I mean when it comes to the "How does the disc look?" it's always about hues, edge enhancement, etc. I'm tired already, seriously.

Then when I get the DVDs in my hands, they look awesome. And yes, I am a home theater enthusiast with amazing eyesight. Posted Image

#14 of 34 PeterB

PeterB

Agent

• 45 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 08:04 PM

That's my job, to be a picky bastard. That's why they give me free discs.

: )

------------------
Peter M. Bracke
Peter M. Bracke

#15 of 34 HenrikTull

HenrikTull

Second Unit

• 470 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 08:20 PM

Quote:
Don't base Basic Instinct's picture on just one sole review. In my opinion, DVDfile is too much in the "picky" department.

I disagree. Having a pretty darn good home theater I can usually see the same problems DVDfile's reviewers are talking about. DVDFile seems to be the must accurate when it comes to reviews.
A Little Slice of Heaven

#16 of 34 David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 08:51 PM

Antonio: well, looks like you're the perfect typical customer for majors then : no complain, always satisfied etc etc Posted Image

Sorry, but crap is crap and I'm a buyer of dvd, so I want the best that can be done.

I did not invest thousands of dollars in my system to feed it trash Posted Image ( note : thousands of dollars but at huuuuuge discount eh eh eh )

And Peter and Cliff are among the best of the best reviewers, never were wrong ( to my records ). I especially thank them for the truth about Warner dts dvd.

Peter: oops, wrong cover art though Posted Image

#17 of 34 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,095 posts

Posted August 29 2001 - 09:28 PM

I usually am not as discriminating as the DVDFile folks in terms of picture flaws, but again I don't have the set-up that Peter does. I'd take his or Cliff's word over those of DVDReview or most of the other online critics anyday-- though their cruddy review of American Werewolf (sigh) isn't enough to scare me off of it. They might be "picky," but I'd rather that than "lazy," which I see all too often. Good picture analysis usually comes from Jeff McNeal of The Big Picture (though he tends not to review movies he doesn't like) and the best story/historical look comes from Glenn Erickson, the DVD Savant. The guys at Digital Bits, HorrorDVDs.com, Mondo Digital and our own Robert George are all solidly reliable as well, if less consistent in the review output.

Criticism (which I do for a living as a story analyst) is all subjective, but you can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't pretty readily. For every Roger Ebert there are a number of Jeff Craigs or (ack!) David Mannings!

Now, how about talking about these DVDs once again? And what was that about a baboon's butt?

#18 of 34 Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor

• 557 posts
  • LocationCentral Oregon

Posted August 29 2001 - 11:35 PM

Really bad package for Total Recall. Small round tin in cheap cardboard holder. Like Candy. Video transfer is clearly not from clean source material. Any cover art to download to convert to keepcase????? Artisan, what are you doing? With all of the coupon inserts, looks like consumer explotation. Bad show!!!!!

#19 of 34 Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,272 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 03:02 AM

Any other reviews posted for this title?

#20 of 34 David-alexander

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator

• 218 posts

Posted August 31 2001 - 03:16 AM

I canceled my order, having both LIVE editions, which I bought cheap and are good enough ( not perfect of course ).

I can see this dvd market turning more and more into "fake" remasters or rerererereleases, especially as we enter recession times. buyers beware Posted Image