What's new

Any reviews yet on Basic Instinct and Total Recall special editions? (1 Viewer)

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Hope any reviews include something about the packaging. I am holding off until I see what they actually look like.
Don

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen the packaging. The packaging for Total Recall is very small. The case is the size of a CD. The packaging looks like a toy sold in Toys R Us. :D
Basic Instinct is a blank case with the shape at the bottom of an ice pick. It's a see through case, so you see the disc right through. (Supposed to be an ice case)

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
Think I read somewhere that the icepick is actually a "limited edition" Basic Instinct pen but I may be wrong.
Don

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It says there is a hidden screen test hidden in the menus, they give a clue.."What would catherine do?"
probaly hidden between her legs?
I know this comment was used already, but hey, why not use it again :)
I'll probally pick this up!
------------------

Bob_Mandel

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't watch the discs, but Total Recall is indeed in a round red tin can--one side cratered like Mars--the size of a DVD.
Basic Instinct is in the same blueish clear plastic that SaTC comes in with the ice pick pen inside, too.
I thought they were both pretty cool (although I am sure many will mind that Total Recall will not sit up and play nicely on the shelf with all the other DVDs). :)
You have to admit that packaging is the one place the studios can still battle it out creatively, because the types of on-disc supplements have near been exhausted... although I am sure they'll think of something...
wink.gif

------------------
editor,
http://www.digitallyobsessed.com

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I'm very disappointed about the review I read in regards to the transfer. It sounds to me that this could have and should have looked nicer. I wonder if I should have even gotten rid of my previous release, even though the new one has extras - I'm not terribly concerned about them.
It's amazing how they spend time, energy, and money with the cosmetics and extras, yet the actual film lacks.
confused.gif

[Edited last by Dave H on August 30, 2001 at 01:55 AM]

Antonio_M

Stunt Coordinator
Don't base Basic Instinct's picture on just one sole review. In my opinion, DVDfile is too much in the "picky" department. I mean when it comes to the "How does the disc look?" it's always about hues, edge enhancement, etc. I'm tired already, seriously.
Then when I get the DVDs in my hands, they look awesome. And yes, I am a home theater enthusiast with amazing eyesight.
wink.gif

PeterB

Agent
That's my job, to be a picky bastard. That's why they give me free discs.
: )
------------------
Peter M. Bracke

HenrikTull

Second Unit
Don't base Basic Instinct's picture on just one sole review. In my opinion, DVDfile is too much in the "picky" department.
I disagree. Having a pretty darn good home theater I can usually see the same problems DVDfile's reviewers are talking about. DVDFile seems to be the must accurate when it comes to reviews.

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
Antonio: well, looks like you're the perfect typical customer for majors then : no complain, always satisfied etc etc
biggrin.gif

Sorry, but crap is crap and I'm a buyer of dvd, so I want the best that can be done.
I did not invest thousands of dollars in my system to feed it trash
tongue.gif
( note : thousands of dollars but at huuuuuge discount eh eh eh )
And Peter and Cliff are among the best of the best reviewers, never were wrong ( to my records ). I especially thank them for the truth about Warner dts dvd.
Peter: oops, wrong cover art though
laugh.gif

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I usually am not as discriminating as the DVDFile folks in terms of picture flaws, but again I don't have the set-up that Peter does. I'd take his or Cliff's word over those of DVDReview or most of the other online critics anyday-- though their cruddy review of American Werewolf (sigh) isn't enough to scare me off of it. They might be "picky," but I'd rather that than "lazy," which I see all too often. Good picture analysis usually comes from Jeff McNeal of The Big Picture (though he tends not to review movies he doesn't like) and the best story/historical look comes from Glenn Erickson, the DVD Savant. The guys at Digital Bits, HorrorDVDs.com Mondo Digital and our own Robert George are all solidly reliable as well, if less consistent in the review output.
Criticism (which I do for a living as a story analyst) is all subjective, but you can tell who knows their stuff and who doesn't pretty readily. For every Roger Ebert there are a number of Jeff Craigs or (ack!) David Mannings!
Now, how about talking about these DVDs once again? And what was that about a baboon's butt?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Really bad package for Total Recall. Small round tin in cheap cardboard holder. Like Candy. Video transfer is clearly not from clean source material. Any cover art to download to convert to keepcase????? Artisan, what are you doing? With all of the coupon inserts, looks like consumer explotation. Bad show!!!!!

David-alexander

Stunt Coordinator
I canceled my order, having both LIVE editions, which I bought cheap and are good enough ( not perfect of course ).
I can see this dvd market turning more and more into "fake" remasters or rerererereleases, especially as we enter recession times. buyers beware
icon13.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks